Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Consultation

• 20-04-2010 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi

Not sure if this is in the right forum, but myself and my brother have a few sites and we were looking at speaking with an architect and meeting with local council to see what they will or will not give planning for, we are also trying to sell a site to fund building. Just wondering what charge would be normal for an architect for this service , and any advise on what we should be asking or what should we be expecting, any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

sorry should this be moved to Construction and Planning

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

My own personal experience with a planning consultation meeting with the council was that it was a waste of time. Thats not to discourage you, as I`m certain that it can vary from council to council, and even down to who you are meeting. When we went the planner had done no preperation and thought we were going for an initial meeting instead of an equiry after an application we had submitted. Before that I also submitted a letter inquiring about the possibilty of getting permission for a site. In both cases the answer was no and there was no advice given on how to make the application more suitable.

My own personal advice would be to do it anyway, unless your in a huge rush, you might have better luck than I did (or its changed since I went for it). I really wouldnt pay too much for it, or possibily even just go it alone, it doesnt make sense to get proper drawings / documents drawn up just for an initial meeting, so you only looking for a few hours work max.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ncc98071 wrote: »
    Hi

Not sure if this is in the right forum, but myself and my brother have a few sites and we were looking at speaking with an architect and meeting with local council to see what they will or will not give planning for, we are also trying to sell a site to fund building. Just wondering what charge would be normal for an architect for this service , and any advise on what we should be asking or what should we be expecting, any help appreciated

first point, you do not have "a few sites"..... you have some agricultural landholding. a field is only a site after permission is granted on it...

1. its highly unlikely that you will be able to sell a site to a speculator. A local with a housing need would be more likely to be granted permission, once teh site is a good site and not a 'wet corner' site.

2. if you are applying for houses yourselves, you will need to agree to live in the house for specified period of time.

3. charges are total subjective to many factors eg
    element of design required (thankfully some planning offices are beginning to refuse bland 'bungalow bliss' and 'planahome' type houses!!)
    characterization of site etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

sydthebeat wrote: »
    first point, you do not have "a few sites"..... you have some agricultural landholding. a field is only a site after permission is granted on it...

1. its highly unlikely that you will be able to sell a site to a speculator. A local with a housing need would be more likely to be granted permission, once teh site is a good site and not a 'wet corner' site.

2. if you are applying for houses yourselves, you will need to agree to live in the house for specified period of time.

3. charges are total subjective to many factors eg
    element of design required (thankfully some planning offices are beginning to refuse bland 'bungalow bliss' and 'planahome' type houses!!)
    characterization of site etc

Didnt notice the fact the OP wanted to sell the sites. First thing he should do is check the zoning in that case, its probably going to be agriculutural only though, A2 if I remember correctly. Possibly A3, which allows for the owner to develop a single dwelling house if they have a need in the area.

The planners stipulation on designs has changed so much over the years its not hard to see why the countryside is starting to get a clowncar look. One year dormers are in, the next there out and its two storey farmhouses are in...

Advertisement