Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand PC

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

That OEM-XXXX code you see under the computer properties is not actually the licence key, its a number that as far as I know is generated after the install and key are put in.

Not supplying you with disks is dodgy, but understandable as he might not have gotten them when he was sold/given the machine. That said I imagine if you were to call up HP and explain the situation they'd be able to sell you some actual restore disks, thinking back to my days at working for a similar company we charged about 30€ for a set or so :)

That magic bean app above will retrieve the key that was used with your windows install :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

i found that app ages ago , never had use for it until i needed to reinstal windows and my license is all faded under my laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

op , did the licesne used to register the machine match the stciker on the case

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A lot of machines don't give the restore disks anymore. It works out cheaper for them to supply you with two blank disks, and instructions on how to burn the copy from the backup partition onto them. Most people, though, put movies on the blank discs, and roar abuse down the phone at you when their machines break on them :rolleyes::confused:

Advertisement