Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Drug Policy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

I doubt that very many people would be willing to openly discuss drugs in a way that suggests they take them anyway. It's far too easy for the authorities to glean any info they feel is pertinent to upholding drug laws. It's a small country, and a relatively huge forum so open discussion on questionable subjects would stand out very much here, imo

I think and sincerely hope that the Gardai would not waste resources in chasing Boards for the identities of posters who admit that they are taking illegal drugs on a thread here. Aside from the practical unreality of it, securing a conviction based on a statement(s) made by a user on an internet discussion board is ridiculously unlikely. I am led to believe that people often dont tell the whole truth when they chat with other people on the internet. Or so the 17 year old model I was chatting to last night told me.....;)

Things might be a little different if a drug dealer was using Boards to sell drugs - in that case it might be worth the Gardai's time in seeking their identity. But drug dealers usually arent that stupid, sadly.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Watty was unhappy about even the policy we have now, he wanted it such that no one would be allowed to post a positive comment about taking drugs, we stood by our policy at the moment, and Watty left. I really wish he hadnt. I had a lot of time for him and for his knowledge but I'm not going to be strong armed by anyone. We dont promote or preach, we are a platform.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Overheal wrote: »
    Not really. Theres talking about it and then theres talking about it.

Set up a forum like that and its not long before someone starts talking about a guy they know in X town or that they have a connection to Suspect Y and thats when a subpoena would take place.

Simply discussing drugs is not the incriminating factor.
    That's great and all but it's got nothing to do with what I wrote. I said that you can't turn down a forum request simply because similar boards exist across the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Pace2008 wrote: »
    That's great and all but it's got nothing to do with what I wrote. I said that you can't turn down a forum request simply because similar boards exist across the web.
    Right, and as I observe, thats not the only reason its being turned down.

Advertisement