Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give me patience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

16/06/10
    Stretching and Core work

17/06/10
    90mins soccer
    Stretching

18/06/10
    Easy Jog - 30mins

The run today was very disjointed, didn't feel great on it and had to stop once or twice. Did a few strides also to try and loosen out the legs. I was debating today whether to go for the run or to the pool, in hindsight I may have been better off going to the pool. I think my legs just still aren't used to running again, but I know I've alot more work ahead of me if I am to get back fit. I'll do some stretching and core work later tonight.

19/06/10
    2 hours soccer training (included lots of stretching).

20/06/10
    1 hour soccer

21/06/10
    30 mins - pools jogging/running
    Stretching and core work later

I know I've been doing alot of soccer lately which was not really my target in getting back fit, however the groups of lads I normally play with a planning to enter a league next season and its likely I will be joining the team. But even still I am going to try keep it to a minimum as I know I am much more likely to get injures from it. I dont plan to be playing any for the next week and a half anyway. Aside from this I am relatively happy with how things are going. I still get a bit of discomfort in my back from time to time, but I think its improving. My legs were a bit tired in the pool today but it was a nice easy session. I think the workout in the pool acts as a good recovery session. I'm just going to try get out for another few runs and possibly a cycle this week and hope the progress continues.

22/06/10
    30km cycling - 68 mins - avg ~26 km/hr
    stretching

Nice cycle this evening with a friend. I know it doesn't look very fast, but I was holding back a small bit for my friend, there was also a bit of wind around making things a bit more difficult and there was a good bit of stationary time due to traffic lights etc so I'd say the avg moving pace might have been a bit higher. But nonetheless I'm happy enough with it. Quads will probaby a bit tired tomorrow but I'll be trying to get out for a few runs in the next couple of days.

23/06/10
    -

My quads were pretty tired after the cycle, with my left knee a bit sore, but not that bad, anyway a nice rest day.

24/06/10
    ~6k - 28:23 - ~7:34 per mile

Very happy with this run. I wasn't really taking it very hard although pushed it a small bit towards the end, but I felt relatively comfortable on it. I know the speed is there in my legs just not the strength or endurance to be able to sustain it, but I'm happy that things are going in the right way.

25/06/10
    Stretching & Exercises

26/06/10
    -

27/08/10
    1 mile warm up
    2 mile Easy (7:50 pace)
    1 mile warm down

28/08/10
    Stretching & Exercises

I had planned to get out one more day but it just didn't happen, and the day I did get out I had wanted to do more but just wasn't up to it. It just strange because when I was running before I was used to being able to tick over for half an hour at least even if I wasn't feeling great and even though I'm not running very fast now I guess I just dont have that yet, but I will endeavor to do my best to get back to some level of fitness.

Looking towards to the next couple of days, well my "football team" has a match on wed evening which I'm going to have to play in, around that I plan to get a session in the pool done tomorrow, and realistically two more runs later in the week/end. Depending how I'm feeling I'm thinking about trying to do fastish 5k for one of them to try and get as estimate of what level I'm currently at.

• Advertisement

29/06/10
    30 mins pool jogging/running
    stretching & exercises

30/06/10
    soccer match
    stretching

Since my last post I have been feeling the nerve in my right legging flaring up a bit and I'm not that happy about it. Definitely limited me during my match yesterday and will do the same again if I keep going on it. So I'm going to take the cautious approach and take it easy on the activities for the next few days until I am happy my leg is feeling ok. So I'm just going to focus on my stretching and exercises for the next couple of days and maybe get into the pool too if possible. Its very frustrating but I guess I just have limit my expectations until I'm happy I've completely recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

fair play to you for persisting with the treatment and having the patience on the road to recovery, i had a similar experience with a knee injury where i didnt have the patience and it ended up with me taking a 6 month break from any kind of activities before i was in a position to train again. keep up the training and enjoy being able to do it again.

Thanks VW, yeah I can see that happening to me if I'm not careful so I'm just trying to focus in my head on enjoying what I am able to do for the moment, even it requires a small break here and there. Better than nothing as they'd say.

I took a complete break for the past few days based on some advice, the nerve in my leg has improved a small bit, but still not what I want it to be. I will start afresh tomorrow, as planned no heavy activites for the next 7 days at least, just stretching, core work, and pool work probably.

Past few days have been what I planned. Just stretching and core work. Haven't been able to get to the pool though. I'm not sure about my leg, most of the time it feels fine, but there is the odd the time I still feel something along the nerve, its a different sort of sensation than the normal sciatica so I'm not exactly sure, but its manageable. Ideally I would like to visit a physio again (I have a different one in mind that I've been highly recommended) but I really dont have the money at the moment so that will have to wait.

Anyway for my own sanity I really need to get out and do something soon. The plan is to get out for an easy jog over the weekend, see how that goes and go from there. I'm also strongly thinking about just scrapping the soccer for the immediate future because its probably doing more damage than good and even though I really enjoy it I will probably be able to recover quicker with the just the running, and any bit of cycling I do get out for. Its going to be a struggle though to stop myself for playing, but I think if I get to stage of doing a few runs a week that can keep me going.

I do like to ramble dont I :p

• Advertisement

09/07/10
    40 mins - stretching & core work

10/07/10
    2 mile - 13:17 (~6:38 per mile)

I'm obviously very happy with this. Did one of my old training loops on the road that I haven't done in quite a while. Had planned to run easy, but when out on the short warm up I just wasn't in the mood for that with the rain etc and decided to give it a go. Realisically I would have been happy with anything under 14mins, but I was suprised I was able to keep the pace up for the most part that I started with. Its not a very long run or anything very spectacular time wise but given the nature of my "training" so far I'm taking it as a good run. I know its just going to be a matter of building up the millage and consistency for me to get back to the level I was and better. Injury wise my leg was fairly ok during it, although my back is suffering a bit now. Just a bit tender I think from pushing it a bit hard, but I'll take care of it over the next while and get out again whenever is suitable.

11/07/10
    Stretching

12/07/10
    Stretching & Core Work

13/07/10
    20 mins - Pool Jogging/Running
    Stretching & Core Work

I didn't really get to go for as long in the pool as I would have liked. It was just too packed and there was really no room to work at all, but its better than nothing. It might be a bit premature but over the past few days I've been thinking about my medium term goals. I'd obviously like to get back racing and I was thinking if there was a suitable 5k in around 6 or 8 weeks time to allow for some semi-proper training I could give that a go, but I cant seem to find any that are on close to me. You are sort of heading into cross country season at that stage I suppose which is a different story. I know one or two 10k's around that sort of time frame but I'm not sure if I would be up to that by then. Don't know what I'll do but I'll be thinking about it some more anyway. In the mean time I'll try get out for a few more runs this coming week. I want to try get out for a 4 mile anyway and aim for between 7:20-7:30 pace.

14/07/10
    2 miles : 14:10 (7:05 per mile)
    Stretching

Had planned for this to be a bit longer but felt quite fatigued after the 2 miles, I think it was just a bad day at the office, but at least the bad runs are getting quicker. I'm concious about needing to increase the distance on the runs, I dont want to get into my old habbit of doing too many short 2 mile runs. But I'm just finding it harder to do the slow miles and at even pace than to run that bit harder, not sure why that is but I'll continue to work on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

That 6.38 a mile for two is strong running, hold on for one more and you have a sub 20 5k. Nice one

Thanks Cat, yeah I wouldn't mind breaking 20 for the 5k when I get back, but alot of training to be done before I'll be able for that I'd say.

Past few days have been a bit hectic with work and it was also my sisters 21st at the weekend so a two late nights and lack of quality sleep. Anyway didn't manage to get out for anything which was probably for the best. But back to normality now so I'll be aiming to get out a few days over the coming week and try to build up the millage a bit.

19/07/10
    35 mins - stretching & core work

20/07/10
    4.22 miles - 32:07 (~7:36 per mile)
    Stretching

Found this run tough to be honest and just happy to get it in.

I've been a bit unwell the past week so it's been a bit of a write off unfortunately. I was drafted in to play a game of soccer yesterday due to short numbers but thats all I've really done the past few days unfortunately. I'll try to get out tonight and get as many runs as my body and my schedule allows in during the coming days. Here's hoping for a good week.

Another unstructured week. Dates of most importance:
    26/07/10
    Easy Jog

27/07/10
    Soccer

31/07/10
    2 miles - 13:22 (6:41 per mile)

I could give excuses as to the reasons for being able to get out but they are irrelevant really, the fact of the matter is I'm not getting nearly enough as I need to or would like to. I think it just comes down to me not really having any interim goal and not being structured enough with getting into a routine. So I've decided I'm going to try run the Rathfarnham 5K on the 26th of Sept to give me a goal. This should give me enough time to try get in a bit of training in before hand. As for getting into a routine well thats going to be made difficult as I'm planning to take my holidays in a weeks time and well holidays are never really structured. But regardless I will endevour to significant increase the amount and the quality of the runs I am getting out on. But even if training doesn't go well I want to run that race anyway.

Edit:
    I forgot to include my actually goal for the race. I've heard it's quite a fast race but anyway realisitically I would like to run around 6:45 mile pace for it so under 21 mins, but in setting myself a bit more optimisitic target I would love to break 20 mins for the 5k. So lets see how it goes.

It's best to just forget about the past two weeks and in general the past while has been a bit of a disastor as is obvious. So I think its best to just draw a line through all of that and start this from scratch. It's back to basics time.

First of all I just want to focus on consistent running. This is terms of both the numbers of runs per week and the distance. I'm going to forget about the stopwatch for the momentas there will be plenty of time for that in the future, and until I'm happy I can comfortably run 5-6+ miles it's not going back on. I can judge myself whether I'm going hard or not, times aren't important at this stage. Core work and stretching has become non existent the past while and that has to change. Its important for the maintenance of my back above anything else. I do still want to do that 5K in Sept but for the moment consistent training is the main goal.

I'm currently on a weeks holidays from work and will have plenty of time for running and core work etc but its when I get back to work that I need to get back into a routine. This is something I'm going to plan while I'm on holidays this week and will have in place for when I go back. So I'm determined to make this the start of new and better beginnings. I'll start anyway with a cycle I did today.

15/08/10
    cycle ~19k: 36:56 (avg 30.8 km/hr )

I've done this route a few times but today was about 4 mins faster than I've ever done it which was rather suprising, but no complaints at all.

15/08/10
    1 hour soccer

16/08/10
    ~7k - easy pace

I've got news our team wont be in a league this year which means I dont have to commit to soccer which is good for my running. Run today was nice and comfortable. I was running with a friend which helped alot. Depending on weather tomorrow will either be cycle or a run.

• Advertisement

17/08/10
    -

18/08/10
    4 miles - Easy Pace

I got my dates mixed up in my last post, that cycle should have been the 14th, but anyway. Back wasn't great the day after my last run so just rested. The pace wasn't fast for today's run but found it though enough. Still these are the exact type of runs I need to get in and just need to keep doing them consistently. Next run will likely be friday.

19/08/10
    -

20/08/10
    ~2.2 miles - Medium Pace

Ran with a guy that I play soccer with, pace was a bit quicker my previous two runs but ok , felt fine on it. It was just a bit short I guess. Still its a run.

I'll try to get out again tomorrow, although I'll be dragging my girlfirend out with me who is going to try start get into running so it'll probably be an easy enough run.

21/08/10
    ~2 miles - Very Easy Pace

22/08/10
    1 hour soccer

23/08/10
    30 mins - stretching & core work

Did the run with my girlfriend who is just starting out. Pace was very easy with walking some of it. Soccer was ok, although tweaked my hamstring ever so slightly. Stopped playing when I could feel it just to be safe. I had planned to run today but will rest today and did some stretches and exercises instead. I'll get back out again tomorrow. The planned race is just over a month away so if I get some consistent training in I'm hoping I can still push to break 20 mins, but I'd say it'll be close.

24/08/10
    Gym session including 45 mins Stretching and Core Works

I had planned on running today but my back has just been feeling terrible the two days in particular. I know I have really let slip on the core work the past while and this is probably the reason so it's my own fault. I didn't think I'd be able for a run today so just headed to the gym. I tried the threadmill but could only manage 2K before I had to give up. I just spent the rest of the session on stretching and core work.

It's annoying because I really want to get back into the swing of things but my body is just not allowing it. I'm just going to have take things one day at a time at the moment in terms of running and continue to work on my stretching everyday and core work as often as is necessary (~ 4 times a week I think) and keep doing this. I'm still determined to get things right.

25/08/10
    Stretching & Core Work

26/08/10
    Stretching

I decided to just continue with a bit of rest until my back felt a bit better. It's feeling okish today but I'll probably just do a circuit for the core later on as it wont be practical to get out for a run today. But I'll start back into it tomorrow hopefully and will be keeping up the core work like I need to.

Hmmm, I was looking back at my old log there and at the very start I had run a 5k race in just over 20mins. I remember the race and it wasn't my greatest and I probably could have broke 20 easily if I ran it well at the time. But looking at the times of my other training runs around the time of that race, I was a nice bit fitter than I am right now. So I'm just thinking I might be a bit ambitious with my goal for the 5k in a months time. Maybe I'll re evaluated closer to the time.

27/08/10
    -

28/08/10
    2 miles - Easy Pace

29/08/10
    4 miles - Easy Pace

Felt good for the first 3 miles of this, I was helped a bit by a nice cool rain shower. Felt a bit more uncomfortable over the last mile but was still running within myself.

As an aside even though I'm able to run at the moment which is great it's far from pain free and not just my back. I sort of know myself what the problem is and I could do with seeing a physio sooner rather than later. However first of all I need to get the money to see one which I will hopefully have soonish, but I've also just been a bit disheartened by the ones I've been to over the past couple of years. I just dont think either have been as thorough as was needed, so I will probably look for a new one. I'll talk to a couple of people over the next while who might have some advice and see their opinions.

30/08/10
    Stretching & Core Work

31/08/10
    ~4.5 miles (12*600m laps) - Varied Pace

Mixed this session up a bit, did 1200m easy then 600m hardish, and repeated 4 times, but didn't stop during the run, so sort of a fartlek type session. Had to push it on the last hard 600m but it felt good. Still definitely being hampered by some problems other than my back, well I actually think its all related, but I'll get it sorted soon hopefully.

01/09/10
    1 hour soccer (as goalie)

02/09/10
    Stretching & Core Work

03/09/10
    -

04/09/10
    2 miles - 12:52 (6:26 per mile)

Decided to just go out and try for a hard run over a familar distance as I haven't really pushed any runs for a while. This is just under 30 secs faster than my previous best for this distance since getting back so I'm happy with it. It feels good to dip under 13 mins for this distance, I just have to keep going and get back under 12. If I want to go under 20 for the 5k I'd need to keep this for another mile and a bit, dont think I have the speed endurance to do this at the moment. I could probably do with upping the intensity of the 4 mile runs.

• Advertisement

05/09/10
    -

06/09/10
    3.5 miles (including 2 miles - 13:21)
    30 mins - Stretching & Core Work

I was planning to do a steady 4 mile run in under 7 min/miles. The pace was feeling comfortable over the first 1.5 miles, but I could feel my left lower back becoming more and more uncomfortable during the run and I knew I wasn't going to be able for the full run, so I decided to just increase the pace a small bit and leave it at 2. I think my pace would have been perfect if my back was ok as my leg were feeling good. With the run to and from home it was 3.5 miles in total.

I think I'm going to leave the running for around 3 or 4 days, and focus on stretching and core work. I hope the bit of rest will do my back some good and then I can continue working hard when I return.

Advertisement