Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.S. Prepay phone or sim cards?

Options
  • 20-04-2010 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi
    Ill be heading to the US in a few weeks and was just wondering if anyone knows is it easy to pick up a prepay phone or sim card for use while Im there
    Ill need two so if anyone can advise the best network that maybe will do free calls etc
    Much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mystuff

anyone have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

AT&T do similar enough pre-pay to what we have over here, check them out.

Pre-pay phones do not seem to be the norm in the states though.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

Go into any drug store like Duane Reade. They sell prepaid phones pretty cheap (about $30 if I remember). You can also get top up cards there.
    Phones are pretty naff, but great for the week or two you will be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I did the same about a month ago, I just went in to an AT&T store and asked for a prepay Sim card, got one with $25 Credit for calls/texts and then for handiness just bought an add-on of 1000 texts for $8 or something. In total I paid $37 (after tax) for it and the plan I had meant that if you received/made a call in any day you get charged a Dollar, then the calls are 20c a minute I think for that day. If you just use a lot of texts you dont get charged the Dollar as far as I know, but you do get charged for receiving texts as well as sending, hence I went for the Text add-on.

I've heard of some people saying you need to provide an address to them when getting it, but the guy never asked me for anything, I just explained the situation that I was there short term but might be coming back more regularly and so wanted a US based sim card. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Go to target supermarket and pick up a phone with preloaded credit for $20

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mystuff

Cheers for all the replies guys
    I had heard it was very hard to buy a prepay phone or sim card in the States but Im hoping that it will be possible reading all the replies
    Its just Ill be there for 3 weeks and going by the roaming charges from meteor Id be better off getting a pre pay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Not hard - I used T-Mobile... which sucked in Atlanta (I was there for a year) but was great in San Francisco.

In Atlanta I had no coverage in my apartment - on the main university campus!!! So going with a bigger provider might be important ;) (Verizon, AT&T).

I believe Virgin? has a PAYG operation there too...

Advertisement