Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog has infection in his private parts

Options
  • 20-04-2010 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

Our dog has had a green/yellow discharge coming out of his private parts for the past 3 months. We brought him to the Vet and he said it's just an infection and it should go away on it's own. 2 months later and it's still there. We phoned him a month after we'd brought the dog in and he said to clean it with salt water. Did that, no change. I just rang him earlier and he said to flush it and massage it? Now our dog won't let us clip his nails so there isn't a hope in hell that he'll let us do that to his manhood! Should we bring him to a different vet? This Vet is one of the best in Dublin apparently (people on here have suggested him to us), fair enough the dog isn't in pain but it's not very nice for him or us to have this discharge regularly coming out of him. Any recommendations on what we could do? I thought we could maybe get antibiotics but he said it isn't serious enough for that. It's been going on too long now and it really is pretty bad in my opinion. Regardless of him not being in pain with it, it's disgusting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If you are not satisfied with the vet, get a second opinion. Obviously, there is something going untreated with regards to your dogs penis and it needs to get sorted. If you own vet thinks "It's not serious enough for that" but there is still a recurring problem either go back and insist he/she take it more seriously or change vet practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please please bring this poor dog to another vet and get him sorted asap!!

I cannot believe a vet would leave a dog like that and not even treat him. An infection needs antibiotics or some sort of treatment to help clear it up so bring him to another vet asap and get him treated properly.

What area are you in and we can recommend someone for you.

If its going on this long then of course it needs antibiotics as its obvious serious enough if its not clearing up.

I do wonder why people leave their pets so long and not get them proper veterinary treatment:confused::confused:
    If you went to a doctor and werent happy you get a 2nd opinion so the it should be the same with an animal.

Dont leave this dog any longer and get him to a vets very soon!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

andreac wrote: »
    Please please bring this poor dog to another vet and get him sorted asap!!

I cannot believe a vet would leave a dog like that and not even treat him. An infection needs antibiotics or some sort of treatment to help clear it up so bring him to another vet asap and get him treated properly.

What area are you in and we can recommend someone for you.

If its going on this long then of course it needs antibiotics as its obvious serious enough if its not clearing up.

I do wonder why people leave their pets so long and not get them proper veterinary treatment:confused::confused:
    If you went to a doctor and werent happy you get a 2nd opinion so the it should be the same with an animal.

Dont leave this dog any longer and get him to a vets very soon!!!
    We haven't left him so long though! This is the fourth time I've contacted him about it. We accepted our Vet's word to begin with, he said it would clear up and to give it a month or two. We have and it hasn't. The thing is, the other Vet in the practice said the same thing as him so we presumed they were both correct. If he was in pain we would have been more pushy about it but they both said they wouldn't give him antiobiotics for it because it isn't bothering him and it isn't a bad enough infection. Considering this is a Vet that has been mentioned a few times on here as being an excellent Vet, as is his partner Vet we took his word initially. But now I don't think it's good enough so I'm asking on here to see if people think I should look elsewhere. We're in North Co Dublin and any recommendations for a second opinion would be appreciated, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Well obv the infection is going anywhere after 3 months so i would be insisting on getting better treatment from the vet i.e. antibiotics or change vets if they arent listening to you.

But as they havent listened all these times then i wouldnt hesitate to change vets.
    What area in north county dublin are you in?

andreac wrote: »
    Well obv the infection is going anywhere after 3 months so i would be insisting on getting better treatment from the vet i.e. antibiotics or change vets if they arent listening to you.

But as they havent listened all these times then i wouldnt hesitate to change vets.
    What area in north county dublin are you in?

Fair enough, I just felt like you were commenting on how we care for our dog when he means the world to us. If he was in pain I wouldn't have let it this way, I'm not an expert and trusted my Vet's opinion.

Anyway to be honest the location doesn't matter, anywhere in North Co Dub would be fine, wherever the best Vet is, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I would get a second opinion. You'd think the vet would have given him anti-biotics, but I'm not a vet . . .

I would fill the bath with warmish water (no soap or anything though), put in a good bit of sea salt (not the normal table salt) and let the dog soak in there for a while every day. It couldn't do any harm right? I imagine it would help cos they recommend that for infected wounds or piercings. And then to pat the area completely dry with a clean towel afterwards.

I hope he gets better soon

Edit: I just remembered my teacher (a vet nurse) saying something about infections like that that usually clear themselves up because the urine helps to get rid of the infection. But if it's gone this long then I think definitely ask another vet.

morganafay wrote: »
    I would get a second opinion. You'd think the vet would have given him anti-biotics, but I'm not a vet . . .

I would fill the bath with warmish water (no soap or anything though), put in a good bit of sea salt (not the normal table salt) and let the dog soak in there for a while every day. It couldn't do any harm right? I imagine it would help cos they recommend that for infected wounds or piercings. And then to pat the area completely dry with a clean towel afterwards.

I hope he gets better soon

Edit: I just remembered my teacher (a vet nurse) saying something about infections like that that usually clear themselves up because the urine helps to get rid of the infection. But if it's gone this long then I think definitely ask another vet.

Thanks morganafay. Yeah that's what the Vet said too about the urine, that it would clear itself up but it's time to get him sorted now. Thanks for your post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

Michael B wrote: »
    Thanks morganafay. Yeah that's what the Vet said too about the urine, that it would clear itself up but it's time to get him sorted now. Thanks for your post :)

Ive worked with animals, and in my experience, it is not uncommon for a male dog to have this discharge you described, also it is known to clear by itself.

I wouldnt doubt or take heed in some comments being made, as far as I can see you have done what the majority of pet owners do, and that is trust your vet, you could not have done more, at this point.

What I will say to you is that if you are unhappy with the diagnosis, and wish to have a second opinion on the ailment, by all means get one, if it give you the peace of mind that your pet is in good health.
    There is a vet in the Botanics, Ive heard good things about, I dont personally know however.

I do hope you get the problem resolved to your satisfaction :)

Thankyou molly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'd agree with what Molly has said. We had a dog a male dog a while back with the same symptoms as you've mentioned. Our vet said that it would clear up on its own as it wasn't a bad infection and that it would clear by itself, and it did. I think that the urine combined with the dog's licking helped.

Obviously it varies from dog to dog and what may appear to be similar symptioms on paper actually aren't in reality, but if you're not happy or still worried just make an appointment with another vet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dublin_Muttley_

Hi MichaelB, I'm just wondering is your dog neutered at all? because sometimes if they aren't neutered this happens a lot. Not neccessarily and infection, more leakage of ejeculation fluid.

Advertisement