Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barracuda 7200.7 160 Gb

Options
  • 20-04-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi guys
    I wander if anyone could help. I have an old computer with the above harddrive.
    I need to find a computer compatible with it. It's probably a long shot because its a pretty old harddrive and its hard to find something compatible but I will chance my arm.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

abrr1000 wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I wander if anyone could help. I have an old computer with the above harddrive.
    I need to find a computer compatible with it. It's probably a long shot because its a pretty old harddrive and its hard to find something compatible but I will chance my arm.

Thanks
    Barracuda 7200.7 were plain IDE hard drives so they're still supported by almost every machine in existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

Ok Cool but does it not have something to do with Sata when it comes to compatibility?
    Is there a shop I can go into in Dublin city centre that would recommend a compatible one? Or is it just a case of buying a computer and keeping my fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ok Cool but does it not have something to do with Sata when it comes to compatibility?
    Is there a shop I can go into in Dublin city centre that would recommend a compatible one? Or is it just a case of buying a computer and keeping my fingers crossed.

Nothing to do with SATA, unless you want to buy a SATA only PC and then an IDE to SATA adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Op what exactly are you trying to do?

Ok What I want to do is buy a desktop computer, take out the harddrive it has and stick in the one I have from the old computer that stopped working (it just won't turn on)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Ok What I want to do is buy a desktop computer, take out the harddrive it has and stick in the one I have from the old computer that stopped working (it just won't turn on)

Unfortunately that will not work too well :(

The first thing would be to try and determine what has actually happened to your first(broken) pc.
    What exactly happens when you try to switch it on. ie Does anything go up on the screen/ any light coming from the power button/ any beeps or noises

Ah that's a pity. Well for the time being I will try get hold of a cable that I can use to get the data off the harddisk.

Nothing goes up on screen when you try to turn it on...When i broke there were a couple of loud beeps and then nothing. I doubt there's any hope to get it working again...

Ah that's a pity. Well for the time being I will try get hold of a cable that I can use to get the data off the harddisk.

Nothing goes up on screen when you try to turn it on...When i broke there were a couple of loud beeps and then nothing. I doubt there's any hope to get it working again...

The pattern of the beeps indicates the problem, so record what they were and we'll advise further.

Advertisement