Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linksys WRT160N V3 Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Broadband Router - €44.21 delivered

• 20-04-2010 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭

Linksys WRT160N V3 Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Broadband Router - €44.21 ROI delivered

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=9151

Gonna throw the Tomato firmware on it whenever it arrives.

Edit; as stated below, this is a DSL Router. So if yea have broadband via a phone line yea will still need a ADSL modem to work along with this router. Would be ideal for someone with UPC broadband or a net connection thats presented as a RJ45 (standard network connection)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Nice offer and router, also seems that you can claim £10 back on this router!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭aCA

Nice find kerbdog, thanks. I had been looking for an N router that works with Tomato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭jeffred

Are you sure it works on the wrt160N, i can't find it on any website, would be interesting in trying this. thks jeff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

aCA wrote: »
    Nice find kerbdog, thanks. I had been looking for an N router that works with Tomato.

Yea, the Tomato firmware seems to be very beta though I think.
    This here
    center15 wrote: »
    Nice offer and router, also seems that you can claim £10 back on this router!
    Think that offer ended on the 19th :( I was about 20min out, bla!
    Feel free to hit that thanks button on the initial post :D
    jeffred wrote: »
    Are you sure it works on the wrt160N, i can't find it on any website, would be interesting in trying this. thks jeff

Believe so - I'm open to be wrong though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Note this is for NTL/UPC connections only, not ADSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭TM

How come? The blurb says:
    Finally, the Linksys WRT160N Router function ties it all together and lets your whole network share a high-speed cable or DSL Internet connection.

Yup, as with all my Tomato installs yea either need to use an ADSL router/modem in modem mode OR just have this unit as a access point on an existing router/modem setup. Just like yea would do with the WRT54G DD-WRT/Tomato installs

TM wrote: »
    How come? The blurb says:
    "Finally, the Linksys WRT160N Router function ties it all together and lets your whole network share a high-speed cable or DSL Internet connection."

DSL isn't ADSL.

From my basic understanding; (was wrong)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If you are looking for a router to put Tomato or OpenWRT on, this Netgear is a much better option.

It has a gigabit switch and a usb port, which makes it perfect for turning it into a NAS to stream videos from.

It also has 64MB RAM and 8MB ROM compared to the 32MB RAM and 4MB ROM on the WRT160, which is vital for installing and running ipkg packages.

Netgear have set up their own website with information about installing different firmwares.

Nice, great to see more manufactures opening up 3rd party firmwares.
    More choice the better! :)
    Jonathan wrote: »
    If you are looking for a router to put Tomato or OpenWRT on, this Netgear is a much better option.

It has a gigabit switch and a usb port, which makes it perfect for turning it into a NAS to stream videos from.

It also has 64MB RAM and 8MB ROM compared to the 32MB RAM and 4MB ROM on the WRT160, which is vital for installing and running ipkg packages.

Netgear have set up their own website with information about installing different firmwares.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

kerbdog wrote: »
    DSL isn't ADSL.

From my basic understanding;
    DSL is a connection thats presented in a RJ45 network connection like yea get from a UPC cable box.
    ADSL is a connection thats usually presented in a phone line or RJ11. Requires a modem built into the router.
    No.

DSL = Digital Subscriber Line (a method of transfering data over the unused frequencies of a POTS.)
    ADSL = Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (a subset of DSL that provides asymmetric bandwidth.)

But yes, a DSL modem acts as a gateway between have two networks, RJ11 to the DSLAM, and RJ45 to the LAN. Similarly, a cable modem acts as a gateway between two netwoks, COAX to the CMTS and RJ45 to the LAN.

• Advertisement

Cool so for folks (and me) who want further reading;

DSL
    and
    ADSL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Oh I'd recommend staying away from all that third party firmware stuff on the linksys... eh Jonathan?
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ah in fairness though, DD-WRT is great.

M450 wrote: »
    Oh I'd recommend staying away from all that third party firmware stuff on the linksys... eh Jonathan?
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ah in fairness though, DD-WRT is great.
    Hahahaha. I'll take that WRT610N off your hands if you don't want it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

No.

DSL = Digital Subscriber Line (a method of transfering data over the unused frequencies of a POTS.)
    ADSL = Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (a subset of DSL that provides asymmetric bandwidth.)

But yes, a DSL modem acts as a gateway between have two networks, RJ11 to the DSLAM, and RJ45 to the LAN. Similarly, a cable modem acts as a gateway between two netwoks, COAX to the CMTS and RJ45 to the LAN.

To be clear. Can this be used as a straight swap for a standard Eircom router?
    (Netopia 3347)

bmaxi wrote: »
    To be clear. Can this be used as a straight swap for a standard Eircom router?
    (Netopia 3347)

No. You will need to daisy chain them.

[phone socket] --- phone line --- [eircom modem] --- lan cable --- [linksys router] --- lan cable --- [computer]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

if its a dsl or adsl it can be swapped for eircom; I've done it many times.

Just insert these settings on the router main page at

user:admin
    pass:admin

vpi 8/35
    multiplexing - llc
    login eircom or eircom@eircom.net
    pass- broadband1

wait for dsl sync, you're good to go|!

stevejazzx wrote: »
    if its a dsl or adsl it can be swapped for eircom; I've done it many times.
    Which this one isn't. The OP has got confused with DSL and ADSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Does Wireless N make much of a difference speed wise? I've 2 WRT54G v3 running Tomato one configured as an access point the other configured as a wireless ethernet bridge in which I have my 360 and PS3 plugged into, If I bought two of these would I be able to put Tomato on one and configure it as a Wireless Ethernet Bridge?

Also anyone know who delivers for this crowd here is it AnPost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

I think you need 5GHz/dual band to see any real speed improvements with 'N' - the price makes me suspect this is 2.4 GHz only (which means it uses the same frequency as every other wireless network/cordless phone etc)

I think you need 5GHz/dual band to see any real speed improvements with 'N' - the price makes me suspect this is 2.4 GHz only (which means it uses the same frequency as every other wireless network/cordless phone etc)

yeah your right doesn't support 5GHZ according to the Cnet review http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/linksys-wrt160n/4505-3319_7-32815481.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

bit of a noob question here.

what advantage would it be for me to buy something like this over the EPC2425 or the netgear router provided FOC by UPC ?

yeah your right doesn't support 5GHZ according to the Cnet review http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/linksys-wrt160n/4505-3319_7-32815481.html

Also looks like the other suggested wireless router, the Netgear WNR3500L also just supports the 2.4 GHz frequency band :( ah well

Also looks like the other suggested wireless router, the Netgear WNR3500L also just supports the 2.4 GHz frequency band :( ah well

Thinking I might go for these Netgear 5ghz HD/Gaming Access Points ok they are not dual band so max u get out of them is 300Mbps

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/18_NETWORK/14_ROUTER/productdetails/20019315/NETGEAR_HD_Gaming_5_GHz_Wireless-N_Networking_Kit/WNHDEB111-100ISS/default.aspx

Anyone have any experience of them?

Thinking I might go for these Netgear 5ghz HD/Gaming Access Points ok they are not dual band so max u get out of them is 300Mbps

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/18_NETWORK/14_ROUTER/productdetails/20019315/NETGEAR_HD_Gaming_5_GHz_Wireless-N_Networking_Kit/WNHDEB111-100ISS/default.aspx

Anyone have any experience of them?
    A pair of homeplugs would probably do the same job with lower ping times too.

A pair of homeplugs would probably do the same job with lower ping times too.

Yeah I know but not really an option with my downstairs setup as it needs a full power socket to use the homeplug and I need two for all the equipment I have and these homeplugs can't be used on an 8 socket extention lead. For the price I think I'll give it a go

So, received the router and threw DD-WRT and then Tomato on it and all I can say is for folks to not get it :)
    It keeps over heating with standard settings and rebooting. It was cheap for a reason!
    No idea how it works on its standard firmware, but, whats the fun in running it standard!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Yeah I know but not really an option with my downstairs setup as it needs a full power socket to use the homeplug and I need two for all the equipment I have and these homeplugs can't be used on an 8 socket extention lead. For the price I think I'll give it a go

You can get passthrough homeplugs nowadays which might be an option.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/bt-comtrend-powerline-hd-ethernet-female-kit-4Z2J.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

So, received the router and threw DD-WRT and then Tomato on it and all I can say is for folks to not get it :)
    It keeps over heating with standard settings and rebooting. It was cheap for a reason!
    No idea how it works on its standard firmware, but, whats the fun in running it standard!?

so you would not recommend it as a replacement for EPC2425 or bog standard netgear ?

so you would not recommend it as a replacement for EPC2425 or bog standard netgear ?

Personally no if you are going to use the atl.firmware. Best to go with the before mentioned Netgear.
    As a stock unit, it might be OK though but do a search for reviews. They all mention over heating AFAIK

• Advertisement

Personally no if you are going to use the atl.firmware. Best to go with the before mentioned Netgear.
    As a stock unit, it might be OK though but do a search for reviews. They all mention over heating AFAIK

Did you increase the Tx power by any chance?

Did you increase the Tx power by any chance?

Had increased it to around 60 but have since reverted to 42 due to the the rebooting issues which have now decreased, are still happening.

Advertisement