Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trimming a cats fur/keeping a cat calm

Options
  • 20-04-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

Alright, I've decided to try trim the cats fur around his bum, I do have a good reason for this. I changed cat litter to a good one that I like(no/little dust, flushable, no smells,doesn't stick in the bottom of the tray) there's just one little problem, when he pees it sticks to the fur around his bum(he's a long hair) so he's tracking urine soaked cat litter around (mainly to my bed!) and when he sits anywhere after going there's a wet patch. So that's my reason for giving him a trim.

Now I already tried trimming him, got one side done when he was sleeping but the scissors pulled on his fur and he got a fright. I tried distracting him with a treat but he just wasn't calming down enough for me to do the rest.

If all else fails I can bring him to the vet nurse, just because when there he lets people do anything to him, he just gets as flat to the table as he can but at home he can be inclined to scratch me.

Anyone got any good advice on trimming a cats fur?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I was gonna say wait til he is asleep, but I see you did that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

morganafay wrote: »
    I was gonna say wait til he is asleep, but I see you did that. :)

Yeah I got alot of one side done but not the other. So he's walking around with half a fluffy arse and half neat:o

The thing is he can still be abit jumpy(probably from all the straying/sleeping in random places).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

Orla K wrote: »
    Yeah I got alot of one side done but not the other. So he's walking around with half a fluffy arse and half neat:o

The thing is he can still be abit jumpy(probably from all the straying/sleeping in random places).

:D I dont mean to laugh, but that is just soooo cats!

I ve worked with them and any kinda hair trimming can be very difficult (meaning, if a cat dont want to, they aint gonn, end of - ahhh the joys of grooming under sedation, haha)

I think it would be best on both of you just to pop him down to the vet nurse, they will have it done in no time at all for you.

A Question, how is the cat with general grooming? I ask because most cats do enjoy te oul grooming mit, sprawled on the chair beside you, getting pampered (and then being very sneaky with the scissors, if you get me;))

:D I dont mean to laugh, but that is just soooo cats!

I ve worked with them and any kinda hair trimming can be very difficult (meaning, if a cat dont want to, they aint gonn, end of - ahhh the joys of grooming under sedation, haha)

I think it would be best on both of you just to pop him down to the vet nurse, they will have it done in no time at all for you.

A Question, how is the cat with general grooming? I ask because most cats do enjoy te oul grooming mit, sprawled on the chair beside you, getting pampered (and then being very sneaky with the scissors, if you get me;))

I have a brush for grooming, he's not too sure of it. He likes it around his head but still getting used to it around his body and doesn't like it going near his tail, he normally jumps up and turns around so the brush is at his head again.

He's asleep again now on his other side, hopefully he won't wake up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The only way to do it is with a really sharp pair of scissors, and a steady hand;)
    I have had to give my dads old cat a trim, she used to lie against the rads and was too stiff to groom properly(she was 18 when she passed away a few months back), so every so often she got a matted bit on her back. I used some really good fabric cutting scissors, really sharp, and did it while she slept(she was fond of scratching us to the bone for even minor things).
    For the matting I found cutting a little at a time worked but don't snip as they seem to feel that more. And good reflexes help:D get out quick, slightest sign of a twitch, get outta the firing range.
    best of luck,
    Oh, and try the grooming mitt, its much better for getting them used to the feeling of brushing(not great for brushing long hair though), you can introduce the brush once he's used to the feeling.

• Advertisement

I know what wrong with him now, I'm touching his sack too much and for him once is too much. No wonder he was so paniced, he's only got the one and I guess he wants to keep it:D (He's going to be in for a surprise on one trip to the vets!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I know what wrong with him now, I'm touching his sack too much and for him once is too much. No wonder he was so paniced, he's only got the one and I guess he wants to keep it:D (He's going to be in for a surprise on one trip to the vets!)

What age is he? Maybe your best bet is to ask the vet to trim the area when you take him in for the snip.

Wreck wrote: »
    What age is he? Maybe your best bet is to ask the vet to trim the area when you take him in for the snip.

That won't be for a while, have to pay off the fees I owe first and then probably save up. They'll have to shave him anyway because he'll have to be opened up, to find his other ball. He's about 7-8 but I don't even have him a year.

Anyway both of us have to get used to these trims, fur grows back(hopefully not quickly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

:D:D awh poor little mite!!! Sounds like quite a character you have there!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

I have a long haired cat too. He gets very matted so i normally get someone to hold him and use an electronic clippers to clip out the mats.

I wouldn't use a scisors becasue you could cut his skin or vital parts around the bum area.

I have two pros here tho:

1. The cat is very gentle.

2. I'm a groomer.

If there is a groomer in your area that grooms cats as well as dogs you could bring him there and stay with him and maybe hold him while the groomer clips the hair. :)

• Advertisement

I have a long haired cat too. He gets very matted so i normally get someone to hold him and use an electronic clippers to clip out the mats.

I wouldn't use a scisors becasue you could cut his skin or vital parts around the bum area.

I have two pros here tho:

1. The cat is very gentle.

2. I'm a groomer.

If there is a groomer in your area that grooms cats as well as dogs you could bring him there and stay with him and maybe hold him while the groomer clips the hair. :)

I wouldn't get anywhere with an electronic clippers, it would make far too much noise for him. He strange/loud noises make him nervous (he was alot worse, any noise made him nervous!)

A groomer is out of the question too. I don't have the money to go paying them just to shorten a cats bum fluff and there's only one in the area.

I might try and get someone to hold him while I cut but I think most people would be too nervous of him:o

I have most of it done anyway there's just a little bit left on one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Orla, buy a short hairdressing scissors - sharp blades but blunt tips so you don't accidentally poke him in the hoochies with something sharp. Approach when he's asleep, and cut slowly, making sure you've finished the cut before you pull the scissors away!

That's as long as it's just bum fluff. I'd leave matts to a professional groomer - too much risk of nicking skin that you don't realise is pulled into the matt.

Advertisement