Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Infant and toddler bargains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Millem wrote: »
    Just back from my tesco and nothing was further reduced :( but did get a lovely duffle cardigan for him in penneys €3 and a long sleeved cotton top €1 in their reductions

Finally my tesco further reduced the baby clothes! The higher price is on the sticker but when you scan them you get the new price :) also penneys had reduced packs of pink newborn babygrows to €2. (No use to me) but did pick up 3 pack baby socks (the ones with the grips) for 50c (down from €2) so got 3 packs 6-12 months. The worker told me Monday is the best day to go to penneys because the programme the reductions on Sunday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

niallo24 wrote: »
    Looking for people's opinions on baby monitors....would it be worth getting one second hand or risky? Also any good models?

We have the Tommy Tippee one and find it great (not a video one). I like that it recognises what is 'normal' noise and then just switches off and only kicks in if extra noise comes in - dead handy for when you are playing music for them. The monitor won't stay open because of the music but will open if the baby cries or whimpers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

We have the Tommy Tippee one and find it great (not a video one). I like that it recognises what is 'normal' noise and then just switches off and only kicks in if extra noise comes in - dead handy for when you are playing music for them. The monitor won't stay open because of the music but will open if the baby cries or whimpers.

I have this one aswell and find it great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Looking for people's opinions on baby monitors....would it be worth getting one second hand or risky? Also any good models?

My Mam gave me monitors she had for my sister 13 years old and work perfect been using them 8 months now

I wouldn't bother as I am sure you can get a new one on sale? I have a bt money it is amazing, sooo clear and it has a talkback function I got it in woodies for half price €25 I think. It is this one in boots (very very clear sound).
    http://www.boots.ie/en/BT-200-Baby-Monitor_1189163/

Yep monitors are always going on sale. I think we got our half price in the mothercare sales (you know the ones where nearly everything is 50% off). The only monitor I have never really seen on sale (well not for a decent amount anyway... Maybe €10 off or something) is the Angel Monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I have a Motorola one.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-MBP10-Digital-Audio-Monitor/dp/B002KV14VGI love it. No buzzing and only knocks on when there is a new sound. Portable parent unit which I think is pretty important.
    I bought a more expensive camera one used it in the beginning but had to keep the volume constantly muted as the wifi constantly interfered with it.

Have a BT one for new arrival but haven't used it yet.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dbaby&field-keywords=bt%20baby%20monitor%20200&sprefix=bt+baby+monitor+200%2Cbaby&rh=i%3Ababy%2Ck%3Abt%20baby%20monitor%20200
    Managed to get it in the woodies nursery sale a few weeks ago for €25. Got a friend to pick it up as was none in my local woodies.

Suucee wrote: »
    I have a Motorola one.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-MBP10-Digital-Audio-Monitor/dp/B002KV14VGI love it. No buzzing and only knocks on when there is a new sound. Portable parent unit which I think is pretty important.
    I bought a more expensive camera one used it in the beginning but had to keep the volume constantly muted as the wifi constantly interfered with it.

Have a BT one for new arrival but haven't used it yet.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dbaby&field-keywords=bt%20baby%20monitor%20200&sprefix=bt+baby+monitor+200%2Cbaby&rh=i%3Ababy%2Ck%3Abt%20baby%20monitor%20200
    Managed to get it in the woodies nursery sale a few weeks ago for €25. Got a friend to pick it up as was none in my local woodies.

Snap! That must be the same bt monitor we have! So easy to use literally just plug it in and away you go!

Snap! That must be the same bt monitor we have! So easy to use literally just plug it in and away you go!

Ha only noticed your reply now. I must of been typing. Still haven't collected it off my friend yet so haven't had a chance to test (play with it) yet.
    Glad your also recommending it . Love the talk back feature. Will be so handy.

• Advertisement

Suucee wrote: »
    Ha only noticed your reply now. I must of been typing. Still haven't collected it off my friend yet so haven't had a chance to test (play with it) yet.
    Glad your also recommending it . Love the talk back feature. Will be so handy.

It is so handy! Myself and the OH always use it to talk to each other if one of us is upstairs and one downstairs lol lol

Tommy Tippee one has talkback function and portable parent handset. Very nice and neat handset, great sound from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 aughannalady

Where is best offer for papers size 6 at the moment? Or can anyone suggest another own brand alternative in size 6. I have been using aldi nappies up until now and find them great for daytime them use pampers baby dry at night. Unfortunately aldi only go up to size 5 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 aughannalady

Where is best offer for papers size 6 at the moment? Or can anyone suggest another own brand alternative in size 6. I have been using aldi nappies up until now and find them great for daytime them use pampers baby dry at night. Unfortunately aldi only go up to size 5 :(

The big bags of size 6 are buy one get one free in tesco at the moment for €15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was using SImply Dry size 6 Jumbo box for €12. 62 nappies. (she's trained now)

Found them great and I presume I don't have to tell you how much pressure my 3 year old put those nappies under!!

I'm still using the size 5 for the little man now, no leaks so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Thanks for the replies on the monitor everyone, plenty of information to work with there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Thanks for the replies on the monitor everyone, plenty of information to work with there!!

I also have the BT one. I used it for 15 months and then it stopped working - I chanced my arm and contacted the shop where i bought it, and they got onto BT and they are replacing the monitor...Free of Charge.
    No reciept or anything. So a good company to deal with.
    Its a very easy monitor to use, it is literally plug it in and away you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭billbond4

My monitor stopped talking a charge, i.e would only work when plugged in. Searched on ebay,bought a new battery for 5e, monitor is as good as new now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

We asked in a baby shop what we should buy as there's a few options and we were told to keep it simple. Avoid Angel Mats and unless you're living in a massive house you only need a basic monitor. We went for the Tomy Classic (TA100) and can't complain. Little legs can be heard all over the house through this thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

We asked in a baby shop what we should buy as there's a few options and we were told to keep it simple. Avoid Angel Mats and unless you're living in a massive house you only need a basic monitor. We went for the Tomy Classic (TA100) and can't complain. Little legs can be heard all over the house through this thing :)

As a matter of interest, what reason was given for avoiding the Angelcare one?

I looked into it, but I hear there are sometimes false alarms ... I'd have a heart attack if that ever happened! :eek:

This is the one we went for in the end, the Motorola video one ... should be arriving from Amazon in the next couple of days!

Edit - just noticed the price, it was cheaper when we ordered it, maybe fifty something!

• Advertisement

I looked into it, but I hear there are sometimes false alarms ... I'd have a heart attack if that ever happened! :eek:

This is the one we went for in the end, the Motorola video one ... should be arriving from Amazon in the next couple of days!

Edit - just noticed the price, it was cheaper when we ordered it, maybe fifty something!

A couple months ago they were doing a recall in the USA as a couple of toddlers died by wrapping the cord around their
    Necks whilst in their cot. I don't have a link... Perhaps someone else does. However, they were not recalled in Ireland and UK. I think there was some sort of cord cover or something available to those who previously purchased the monitor.

I can't give my opinion on these
    Monitors as I haven't used them. But tbh I have only heard good things about them from those who have used them...

Sligo1 wrote: »
    A couple months ago they were doing a recall in the USA as a couple of toddlers died by wrapping the cord around their
    Necks whilst in their cot. I don't have a link... Perhaps someone else does. However, they were not recalled in Ireland and UK. I think there was some sort of cord cover or something available to those who previously purchased the monitor.

I can't give my opinion on these
    Monitors as I haven't used them. But tbh I have only heard good things about them from those who have used them...

I did read about that alright ... I think it was only a couple of isolated cases, and in fairness, who would leave an exposed cord in a toddler's cot like that! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

We were given an angelcare monitor by friends who had finished using it themselves. They never had a false alarm with it and so far we've never had one. I can't fathom, warning or no warning, why anyone would think it was okay to leave an exposed cord in a cot. My little lady is nearly 4 months and she is already a wiggly, grabby little thing.

I did read about that alright ... I think it was only a couple of isolated cases, and in fairness, who would leave an exposed cord in a toddler's cot like that! :eek:

Yea that's kinda what I was thinking. The cords are meant to go under the mattress and not be exposed to allow baby to reach them... So I don't see how they were in reach of the toddlers at the time. Really awful for the poor parents and babies tho.

I have the monitor I just haven't used it yet but when I put it in the basinette, I can't see how baby would reach it? But it has put the willies up me a bit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

we had the angelcare one with no mat,it was excellent but one of the kids managed to smack it off the floor and break it!!

In America they seem to err on the side of caution to allow for the sheer stupidity of some people. Drop sided cots are also banned there because a tiny number of children got their fingers caught. I can only imagine that the cots in question must be quite old or the mechanism exposed or something because any modern cots I've seen would have almost no chance of catching fingers and have safety catches. But nonetheless all dropsided cots are banned in the US, not just certain styles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭yellow hen

For the op, I too couldn't recommend the BT monitor enough. Small and easy yo cart off to granny's etc. we also live in a built up area and have not experienced any interference which we did with the tommee tippee one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We have a BT monitor too. It cost around €100 in mothercare and is great. We had an older BT model before that which just stopped working after 18 months but this one is far better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We've an Angelcare for the baby, and a very basic Motorolla for our 3 year old. The Motorolla was the cheapest one they had in Smyths and does grand for the older child.
    Couldn't recommend the Angrlcare more for a baby though. Gives great peace of mind, especially when the baby moves to his/her own room. Have been using it for 3 years between both children and think I had 3 false alarms. Yes they're nerve wrecking but my thought was always that I'd prefer to have the odd false alarm than not to have a movement monitor and then god forbid something awful happened I'd spend forever questioning whether having one of those would have changed things.
    One part of it broke after 2 years and Angelcare sent out a free replacement part within a few days, no questions asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

I definitely would recommend the AngelCare monitor, it's great. No false alarms (yet) and a room temperature reader that alarms when it's too hot or cold. I saw the article about the recall in US but can't remember the details. I just made sure when setting mine up to thread the cord through the underneath slats on the cot. I can't see myself using the mat anyway when he's a toddler. I got it for €90 in Smyths back in August, I saw recently it had gone back up to around €130.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

We got that one as a present. It's brilliant! Doesn't hold charge for long but other than that happy with it.

Oh forgot about my angelcare mat. May route that out for impending new arrival. It really does give such peace of mind.

I only bought the mat as i already had a different sound monitor but it worked just the same. Never had a false alarm.

The angelcare would be no good for one of my twins - she wiggles and wriggles until she's comfy and then once in that position, that's it, like a corpse, doesn't move and inch for hours! Even when I try to wake her she doesn't stirr for ages! I would be worn out with all the false alarms I'd get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We bought the snooza hero for our LO. It's a breathing monitor that attaches to the nappy. I find it gives great peace of mind ( we are first timers!) works like the mat but you can leave it on all the time. Great for the car journeys on my own.
    We've had a few false alarms but they've all been only seconds after lying him down, and I've accidentally removed the thing.
    What I liked about it was that it vibrates if the baby doesn't breathe for 15 seconds to wake him up, and hen an alarm will sound if stil no movement.

We have a Motorola video monitor too, simply because we have cats and need to see the crib to make sure none are annoying him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oh that sounds brilliant!

I have the motorola video one, got it for about €50 in Argos years ago.

Its so handy even now with 2 toddlers, they take notions during the night and just to be able to see what they are up to is priceless.

Also had to get a new battery for the video unit after a year but it was only a few euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

We weren't strictly told to avoid it and definitely not for any safety reasons. It was more for practicality. The guy in the shop didn't seem keen on the 'idea' of them and hinted that they may introduce more worry. As it turned out our little one needs to be checked regularly as she sleeps so soundly (when we can get her to accept sleep!) so a mat that detects non movement would drive us batty. But, I can't definitively say whether they are worth it or not. The extra piece of mind might be worth it alone. For us, sound was enough with regular checks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Yea that's kinda what I was thinking. The cords are meant to go under the mattress and not be exposed to allow baby to reach them... So I don't see how they were in reach of the toddlers at the time. Really awful for the poor parents and babies tho.

If they were toddlers rather than babies, lifting a mattress to see what's under it and fixating on a fascinating wire is par for the course.

iguana wrote: »
    If they were toddlers rather than babies, lifting a mattress to see what's under it and fixating on a fascinating wire is par for the course.

Yea I have yet to experience that stage yet :)... Now I'm not sure but I don't think that's what happened here tho... I think perhaps they were babies that had access to the exposed cords... Now I could be wrong here....?

I wouldn't have thought older toddlers would need the like of an angel care monitor with pad....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Love the Angel Care mat - one false alarm in 13 months because babba moved to the very end of the cot and was squashed up there (opposite end to the sensor mat which has been since moved to a more central position)

Even if your baby doesn't 'move' when sleeping they still breath which is the only motion this needs.....just remember to turn if of when junior is out of the cot :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I wouldn't have thought older toddlers would need the like of an angel care monitor with pad....?

No I agree but I wouldn't really want to have to buy a second monitor either as they're quite expensive. At one year old, my little fella crawls and mooches around the cot in his sleep so the angelcare mat would probably have been a disaster. I genuinely couldn't fault the BT monitor.

Bellababy have a bugaboo footmuff €55 (off white colour with red writing), seat liners (a few colours) €25 half price at the moment and the Tripp trapp baby set (in cherry) half price €25 at the moment.

Also smyths have baby elegance travel cot sheets and crib sheets on clearance €3. In carrickmines they had travel cot ones and crib in white only.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Wouldn't have been without the Angelcare mat. Helped me sleep easier every night. The recall was down to a few cases where the wires weren't placed following the instructions. Side drop cots are also banned in the US afaik, they tend to have different recalls and regulations there. We had one false alarm, and another time the alarm went off and the little man had actually stopped breathing, scared the crap out of me, but the alarm alerted me and I picked him up and he took a deep breath. When he got older and started moving around I got a respisense instead and this clipped onto the nappy, both great investments in our house :)

Tesco have some good bargains on toys at the moment. Lots of stuff on 'clearance' and others at 50% or 25% off

Got a Fisher Price musical lion walker for €10.49 (was €43 odd cent) Same as this one from Smyths (reduced to €18.99 there)
    http://www.toys.ie/FISHER-PRICE-MUSICAL-LION-WALKER-!129132-prd.aspx

Lots of doc mcstuffins, Barbie, action man, moshi monsters etc reduced.

I also got some arts and crafts stuff reduced to give as presents - felt pictures, jigsaws, play doh etc. The felt picture sets were €15 reduced to €5.20 the Disney jigsaws reduced from €8 (or so can't remember exactly price) to €3.20.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭thecelt

If anyone is looking for something different for a little girl,
    check this out!
    https://www.facebook.com/majackalcreations

This is an early bargain alert! The next sale starts Saturday week the 22nd. I have been told basically anything with long sleeves will be half price. I plan on going in on Tuesday to earmark things and check sizes as from Wednesday they will be taking them up to mark them down! Supposedly it is going to be way better this year :)

• Advertisement

This is an early bargain alert! The next sale starts Saturday week the 22nd. I have been told basically anything with long sleeves will be half price. I plan on going in on Tuesday to earmark things and check sizes as from Wednesday they will be taking them up to mark them down! Supposedly it is going to be way better this year :)

I've heard that the Next on Grafton St is the place to go when the kiddie sales are on ... no one goes there, because they all think it will be packed, and it's actually dead quiet!

I've heard that the Next on Grafton St is the place to go when the kiddie sales are on ... no one goes there, because they all think it will be packed, and it's actually dead quiet!

Ohh nice one! Well I am debating about going to Dundrum or not! They have the most stock (got them to check today for me) but supposedly it is a nightmare to get into in the morning! Blackrock have nothing only tiny sizes 0-3 months and hardly any clothes. I did the one in drogheda on Stephens day years ago and it is brill. I love the baby clothes on next. I plan on buying the clothes for the year on Stephens day one soooo worth it if you can drag yourself out of bed!It is so unfair though because some people go and take full rails on things (like 10 of the one thing), I think the sell them on that sometimes I feel next should put restrictions in place!

Ohh nice one! Well I am debating about going to Dundrum or not! They have the most stock (got them to check today for me) but supposedly it is a nightmare to get into in the morning! Blackrock have nothing only tiny sizes 0-3 months and hardly any clothes. I did the one in drogheda on Stephens day years ago and it is brill. I love the baby clothes on next. I plan on buying the clothes for the year on Stephens day one soooo worth it if you can drag yourself out of bed!

Do you mean Next will be hard to get into in the morning or the actual Dundrum complex? I'm there the whole time and Dundrum is a nightmare at the weekends... However, if you go early in the morning it's actually grand until around 12ish... Then the complex starts to get really busy.

Mum bought my little fella a load of lovely jeans and jumpers in Next only a few days ago. Was so thoughtful of her and he looks sooo cute in his new jeans... Now I just feel bad if it all gonna be half price. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love Next:)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I love Next:)

Same my babs got soooo many next clothes as presents. There is a good €100 worth of clothes that I need to change the sizes as he got duplicates. And may I just say how much of a ripper dunnes stores are in comparison! I had to change something into a bigger size and it was €18 for dungarees which IMHO are not half as nice as his next ones €22.

• Advertisement
Advertisement