Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Infant and toddler bargains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Big sale Monday in Tesco:
    Prices are already changed on the website, multiply by 1.35 for the irish price.

http://www.clothingattesco.com/sale/all-sale-kids/icat/kids-sale

Tue the shoes and loads of night ware will be reduced.

http://www.clothingattesco.com/sale/all-sale-kids/icat/kids-sale#esp_cf=pdxtproducttype&esp_filter_pdxtproducttype=Nightwear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Big sale Monday in Tesco:
    Prices are already changed on the website, multiply by 1.35 for the irish price.

http://www.clothingattesco.com/sale/all-sale-kids/icat/kids-sale

Tue the shoes and loads of night ware will be reduced.

http://www.clothingattesco.com/sale/all-sale-kids/icat/kids-sale#esp_cf=pdxtproducttype&esp_filter_pdxtproducttype=Nightwear

and £10 when you spend £50 with code SPRINGTREAT valid until tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Cypresstree

Hi all!
    I'm a long time stalker on this thread! :-)
    We are expecting our first baby in July, and I'm beginning to stock up on a few bits and pieces each week.
    I see the Aldi Baby Event is on this Thursday.... Just wonder if you guys have any feedback on the Aldi brand nappies, wipes, creams etc?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Hi all!
    We are expecting our first baby in July, and I'm beginning to stock up on a few bits and pieces each week.
    I see the Aldi Baby Event is on this Thursday.... Just wonder if you guys have any feedback on the Aldi brand nappies, wipes, creams etc?

Cheers!

The only thing I've tried is the nappies, I'd heard they were good, but I found them quite "stiff" compared to Pampers, didn't seem like they'd be comfy, also they leaked quite a few times.

We've stuck to buying Pampers on Amazon Family Club since, they work out very cheap and we get them delivered to the door once a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I use the Aldi nappies, while the nappies are a bit on the big side (bigger than the same size in other brands I find), they're ok. I do prefer Tesco nappies though. I also use the sensitive Aldi wipes and they are fine.

I did not know the baby event was this week, off for a peak of the brochure now!

January wrote: »
    I use the Aldi nappies, while the nappies are a bit on the big side (bigger than the same size in other brands I find), they're ok. I do prefer Tesco nappies though. I also use the sensitive Aldi wipes and they are fine.

I did not know the baby event was this week, off for a peak of the brochure now!

Excellent! But could you come back and tell me what to definitely buy and what to avoid? I know I'm tearing the arse outta it now! :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tesco still seem to have the dregs of their Simple Baby Wipes on sale- stocked up at Naas- took a full carton. 1.14 per pack.

Excellent! But could you come back and tell me what to definitely buy and what to avoid? I know I'm tearing the arse outta it now! :o

Try the nappies, if you find they leak then you can always change to a different brand just don't buy too many of the one brand. I used just Huggies on my first, on the second and third we switched to Tesco and about 3 months ago switched to Aldi because we switched our shopping from Tesco to Aldi.

I don't use the nappy creams or baby washes (I use Sanex for kids on my little ones for washing) but if I needed to nappy cream I'd have no problem using the Aldi one, they're usually all made from the same ingredients.

The baby bouncer and travel cot look like amazing value, but I reckon they'll fly out door. The baby grows lost their shape quickly when I bought them on my third baby.

Tesco still seem to have the dregs of their Simple Baby Wipes on sale- stocked up at Naas- took a full carton. 1.14 per pack.

Still in Roselawn too. I've stocked up on enough to last us a lifetime. :D I've been using them as facewipes every day for years, long before the baby came along, I've never found them this cheap ... so I'll take advantage of it while I can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi all!

Cheers!

I only tried size 2 and they are amazing so much padding never leaked. Two of my friends will only use aldi.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would not use them for a new born but they are fine for older children .
    One of mine took a Very bad reaction to them .

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I would not use them for a new born but they are fine for older children .
    One of mine took a Very bad reaction to them .

I think it all depends, some people swear by tesco and we just had disasters in them that I threw them in the bin! I would recommend buying a pack of a few different brands to try out yourself in size 1 I had pampers and tesco, size 2 pampers, boots, aldi, magics (supervalu). Now in size 3 pampers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We only ever use aldi or lidl nappies. I don't like pampers or the really thin lidl ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

The muslin cloths were a brilliant buy from aldi. They wash well have cute designs and are a fraction of the price compared to mothercare or tesco. Stock up on those big time. I used them non stop for 6 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Rachineire wrote: »
    The muslin cloths were a brilliant buy from aldi. They wash well have cute designs and are a fraction of the price compared to mothercare or tesco. Stock up on those big time. I used them non stop for 6 months!

I'm going to be getting these, I got them before and they're lovely - really soft and quite big.

• Advertisement

nikpmup wrote: »
    I'm going to be getting these, I got them before and they're lovely - really soft and quite big.

I got muslin cloths in ikea they are massive. A neighbour recommended their "guest towels" instead they are 30c each!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

We've stuck to buying Pampers on Amazon Family Club since, they work out very cheap and we get them delivered to the door once a month.

£79 annual subscription seems a bit steep, you'd probably need to spend a lot to make it back on discounts I'd imagine?

£79 annual subscription seems a bit steep, you'd probably need to spend a lot to make it back on discounts I'd imagine?

You get a 3 month free trial

The travel cot in aldi is a great buy it is standard size cot 120cm x 60cm €28. That is the cheapest I have ever seen. The highchair looks very very similar to a mamas and papas chair I got given as a present. The mamas and papas one is soooo sturdy.

I'm looking out for a travel cot for daytime naps. With a base that can be raised. And a changing unit on top.

Or is such a thing even worth my while, with a three month old? Will he grow out of it too fast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think it's worth it if it makes your life easier for 2-3-4 months use you'll get from it.

I'm looking out for a travel cot for daytime naps. With a base that can be raised. And a changing unit on top.

Or is such a thing even worth my while, with a three month old? Will he grow out of it too fast?

I'd look to buy second hand. There are some on adverts.ie

http://www.adverts.ie/travel-accessories/travel-cot/5305647

http://www.adverts.ie/travel-cots/mothercare-bassinette-travel-cot/4889447 (I think this one is even pretty near you but read description because it had a bit of damage and was repaired).

http://www.heymama.ie/travel-cots/baby-elegance-large-travel-cot
    I plan on using travel cot as a playpen in the kitchen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I saw one in Mamas and Papas in Blanch, it had the raised base. It was a bit pricey though, €89 IIRC. I don't think it had a changing table with it though. I understand why you want it, lowering a sleeping baby into a travel cot is hard work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Hi all!

Cheers!

With no 1 i used the nappies in sizes 2 3 and 4 with no problems. But when she went in to size 4+ they were constantly leaking. Tried 5s and leaking also so i stock up on pampers when on offer.

I have a 3 week old and bought some size 1s and 2s. Had loads of leaks in the 1s so again got some pampers. No problem with leaks now (mostly) but pampers are a little smaller so are fitting better. Will try the aldi again when he geta a little bigger.

I use the wipes no problem on my daughter but havent used them on my newborn yet.
    Also have used their version of sudocream and seems to work just the same and the baby shampoo also.

I bought jeans for the 2 year old before but found them very oddly shaped. Have some babygros i got in the last baby event but havent tried them yet.

Also muslins are great. I have 1 in every room. i still drape 1 across my 2 year olds lap when shes feeding herself to keep her clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

The cellular blankets are grand too. I got them last time for newborn. Also the nuby beaker (i know will be a while before you use it) but my daughter used that beaker no problem when she couldnt get the knack of any other so i picked one up last time too.

I also bought baby socks last time and they are terrible. Dont even stay on for 5 mins. But the 1s on the brochure do look different

Ah girls, thanks a million for all the replies!!
    Obviously I'm clueless, have stocked up on loads of baby gros sleep suits, etc etc, so I think I'm covered for the baby clothes side of things!
    I'm hoping to get a shnuggle Moses basket, they're plastic...
    http://www.shnuggle.com/products/moses-basket/

As for pram, cot etc.... I'll be trawling Adverts.ie, Donedeal etc :-)
    Guineys for sheets etc
    I have an amazing mother in law who knitted the most amazing cardigans, hats, blankets etc!

Also have my amazon basket full with baby stuff... :-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They are nearly out of the bassinet at 3 months and too big for the changer shortly after .
    We got 5 years and 3 kids out of the 1st mothercare travel cot , it was expensive but had everything and was used a lot .
    We have a graco one now , it is a little smaller and will be new babies upstairs cot for now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

Ah girls, thanks a million for all the replies!!
    Obviously I'm clueless, have stocked up on loads of baby gros sleep suits, etc etc, so I think I'm covered for the baby clothes side of things!
    I'm hoping to get a shnuggle Moses basket, they're plastic...
    http://www.shnuggle.com/products/moses-basket/

As for pram, cot etc.... I'll be trawling Adverts.ie, Donedeal etc :-)
    Guineys for sheets etc
    I have an amazing mother in law who knitted the most amazing cardigans, hats, blankets etc!

Also have my amazon basket full with baby stuff... :-)

How much is that shnuggle Moses basket ? Thanks.

shivers27 wrote: »
    How much is that shnuggle Moses basket ? Thanks.

It's 75.00 pounds on amazon.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

It's 75.00 pounds on amazon.co.uk

Wow... Pretty expensive ! Won't be getting one of those. Thanks tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I think they're a great idea... The squeaks used always wake me when my baba was small. I stupidly over spent on Moses basket then though, so there's no way I'll be buying another if I'm lucky enough to need to get it down from the attic!!

Apparently it's a good bit longer than an ordinary Moses basket.... Hoping to get six months out of it! But I'm open to other opinions! :-)

Apparently it's a good bit longer than an ordinary Moses basket.... Hoping to get six months out of it! But I'm open to other opinions! :-)

Another good point! I got two and a half weeks out of mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

yeah sometimes they wave their arms about too much and hit the sides and wake themselves up!

It is narrower than my Moses basket. I got 10 weeks max out of it. It really isn't bigger than normal Moses baskets I looked at, 75cm x 28cm is very common. I have a feeling all the baby elegance Moses baskets have this size mattress. I really wouldn't spend big money on it. I would either pick the uppababy vista as travel system (carrycot is approved for overnight sleeping so you wouldn't need to buy a Moses basket) or buy a Moses on adverts and buy a new mattress. Some people put the baby straight into the cot or you could buy a crib. The baby elegance crib is the largest one I found on the market. http://www.toys.ie/Baby-Elegance-Lullaby-Glider-Crib-!123040-prd.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

We've got the Baby Elegance crib. Not a fan of the rocking function just yet, our little squish is still only 5 lb 4 at four weeks old, so not only is he TINY in it, the rocking seems to shake his entire little body and wakes him up! Will be unassembling and reassembling with the lock on the rocking bit for a while me thinks! Was a good deal in Smyths though, 99 euro instead of 150 everywhere else we looked!

We've got the Baby Elegance crib. Not a fan of the rocking function just yet, our little squish is still only 5 lb 4 at four weeks old, so not only is he TINY in it, the rocking seems to shake his entire little body and wakes him up! Will be unassembling and reassembling with the lock on the rocking bit for a while me thinks! Was a good deal in Smyths though, 99 euro instead of 150 everywhere else we looked!

Yes. If I had my time back, I'd buy a crib rather than a Moses basket. As I said, Moses bkt lasted only 2-3 wks, and then I borrowed a crib, because there wasn't much space in our room for a big cot. If I have another, I'll need to buy a crib. I'd always advise to buy a crib now. It's much better value!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

jlm29 wrote: »
    Yes. If I had my time back, I'd buy a crib rather than a Moses basket. As I said, Moses bkt lasted only 2-3 wks, and then I borrowed a crib, because there wasn't much space in our room for a big cot. If I have another, I'll need to buy a crib. I'd always advise to buy a crib now. It's much better value!

Personally I would recommend the tiny love rocker napper to anyone thinking of a moses basket. They are €100 (can get them cheaper occasionally on amazon or second hand). It is a rocker chair, with a mobile that lies flat so they can sleep in it. It vibrates and is higher at the back than the front so great if they have reflux or wind. Its bigger thana standard moses basket, doesn't need a mattress. And even when baby outgrows it you still get lots of use out of ut as a chair/ rocker. I bought two as my twins both have reflux and wanted something that they could sleep in. They were hands down the best investment ever. They get used daily as chairs and for naps. I feed them in them and if they fall asleep in them i just lower the back. Because they also can be taken apart they are great if staying somewhere overnight. I have brought them to grandads house twice for overnight, which was great as the girls still slept somewhere familiar.

Instead of spending €30+ and a further €30+ on a moses basket and a rocker, spend a few more euro and buy this. You will not regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I was looking at that Hello Lady, but was told it wasn't suitable for anything but daytime naps so went for the crib - still contemplating it for the daytime naps because he hates the crib so much at the moment!

I was looking at that Hello Lady, but was told it wasn't suitable for anything but daytime naps so went for the crib - still contemplating it for the daytime naps because he hates the crib so much at the moment!

Out of necessity my girls both slept overnight in them for 6 weeks. As far as the safety spec goes it is suitable, its even touted as a travel cot in the info. I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest about its safety for over night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ashcon

I have this http://www.traleenurserysupplies.com/product-view.php?id=713&c_id=&sc_id=
    the only thing is it's quite long in length so takes up a good bit of space in the living room.

I got a baby elegance travel cot for grandparents house and it's way better. Much neater and still has the changing unit on the top which flips down the side when baby is in the cot. It also has the raised up part on it. In hindsight I would def buy the baby elegance one for my own house if I had seen it first!

Just one thing that bugs me about the baby elegance one is the colour...yucky grey!!! 😠ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

ashcon wrote: »
    I have this http://www.traleenurserysupplies.com/product-view.php?id=713&c_id=&sc_id=
    the only thing is it's quite long in length so takes up a good bit of space in the living room.

I got a baby elegance travel cot for grandparents house and it's way better. Much neater and still has the changing unit on the top which flips down the side when baby is in the cot. It also has the raised up part on it. In hindsight I would def buy the baby elegance one for my own house if I had seen it first!

Just one thing that bugs me about the baby elegance one is the colour...yucky grey!!! 😠ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

I have the baby elegance travel cot for downstairs sleeping, and he loves it, nice size too. I would be lost without it now. You can get a mattress to go with it for €20 .

I'd look to buy second hand. There are some on adverts.ie

http://www.adverts.ie/travel-accessories/travel-cot/5305647

http://www.adverts.ie/travel-cots/mothercare-bassinette-travel-cot/4889447 (I think this one is even pretty near you but read description because it had a bit of damage and was repaired).

We're going to have a look at the second one tomorrow - thanks for the link! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

We have a lot of barely used assortment of clothing for a 12 to 18 month old baby boy. Pretty much anything and everything you would need clothes wise. Onesies (no idea what these are), trousers, jackets (winter and summer), hoodies, t shirts etc.

Little dude grew out of them in a matter of months.

All were bought buy us, no hand me downs and have been thoroughly washed and cleaned a few days ago to give away.

I have this posted on a few other forums so will update post if they go.

• Advertisement

Hi all!

Cheers!

The advice I would give is to get a few of different brands and see what you prefer. No two babies are the same and the nappy that fits one perfectly gets leaks on another baby. Pampers don't suit my girls but tesco own brand or cheeky bots brand are perfect. Nappies are regularly on offer around children's allowance week so you will always get them on offer. Also if you do find that an own brand nappy such as Tesco, Boots, Aldi or Lidl suits your baby the good thing is that they are always pretty cheap and if you buy too many of a size they will exchange them but a lot of places won't exchange pampers due to all the special offers. Sizes can also vary greatly from brand to brand - my girls are almost out of tesco size two but will fit into boots size two for a while yet. I find lidl and aldi nappies quite thick but thats good for babies who sleep well as there is plenty of absorbancy. I put lidl nappies on mine going to bed as they sleep from 8ish til 7ish (get a quick change and dream feed at 11) but the lidl ones deal with 7+ hours without leaking but pampers didn't.

Same goes for wipes - johnsons brought my girls out in a rash. Pampers weren't thick enough and left a lot of fluff IMO. Huggies are the brand I prefer over others. Aldi/lid are too perfumed. So again get a few on offer, give them a try and see what you prefer.

I like tesco loves baby nappy cream as its not as thick as sudocreme. Their talc is also lovely. Cussons baby and me range of bath stuff and lotions is lovely.

There really is no one 'best' nappy or wipe.

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    We have a lot of barely used assortment of clothing for a 12 to 18 month old baby boy. Pretty much anything and everything you would need clothes wise. Onesies (no idea what these are), trousers, jackets (winter and summer), hoodies, t shirts etc.

Little dude grew out of them in a matter of months.

All were bought buy us, no hand me downs and have been thoroughly washed and cleaned a few days ago to give away.

I have this posted on a few other forums so will update post if they go.

Where are you based? I'd definitely be interested! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Where are you based? I'd definitely be interested! :)

Carlow, pm sent with my number. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Hi all, I see Aldi have a range of items for a decent price today.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-24th-april/

Would you find these in all Aldi stores? I would imagine most of them are gone by the evening time?

niallo24 wrote: »
    Hi all, I see Aldi have a range of items for a decent price today.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-24th-april/

Would you find these in all Aldi stores? I would imagine most of them are gone by the evening time?

All Aldi stores have them but depending on popularity they could be gone by this evening. I'd expect the travel cots and the bouncers to sell out quickly.

I've learned that my local Aldi always has some of the special buys left over. That's the one in Mulhuddart Dublin 15.

• Advertisement
Advertisement