Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help new build! No video signal, no BIOS

Options
  • 20-04-2010 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi All,

I'm looking for some help troubleshooting a new build. I'm getting a long beep followed by 2 short beeps from my mobo. I think this indicates that there is no VGA adapter detected. There's no video signal from the graphics card and I can't see the BIOS. How can I narrow down the problem to the graphics card, the mobo or the power supply?

I've tried resetting CMOS and double checked power connectors to the card. I'm pretty sure it's set firmly (I tried it in both PCI-e slots). The fan spins up on the card. I tried an ancient Radeon2400 (or something like it) and heard the same beep codes.

I don't have other spare parts to try them in or even an old PC to test the power supply. I don't want to start returning parts to the suppliers until I have some clue which one is causing the problem.

Build
    MSI p55-g65
    radeon 5850
    corsair tx850

other parts are 4Gb Corsair DDR3, Core i7-860, Samsung F3, Haf 322

I'm at a loss what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You'd have to check the motherboard's manual to be sure of the beeps. Are you sure it's not the RAM? Did you try one stick at a time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 MartyMcG

I checked the RAM. When it is not placed correctly there are 3 long beeps. The keyboard is not responsive (caps lock lights etc.) when there is no RAM, but it is at the moment.
    The manual does not have any information on the beeps. The best I found is http://us.msi.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp

1 long, 2 short. "A video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot intialize the video screen to display any additional information"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

TBH, I think you might have a bad motherboard then, assuming your old card is still working.

All I can say (everything you already know, but just in case you missed anything) it to check the PCI-E slots for any damage, or any damage along the way; try different power cables if you have them (probably not the problem, if the 2400 doesn't need them); try disconnecting hard drives and DVD drives; make sure you have both 24-pin and 4 pin PSU connections; make sure you have the CPU heatsink 3/4 pin connector in.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'll take it all apart tomorrow and rebuild seeing how far it gets at each new component is added. I probably need to take a close look at how the mobo is set, look for damage when it's out and remove any standoffs that don't have a screw.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

It's always handy to have spare bits hanging around. If you've tried two different cards, then logically you'd have to isolate the motherboard, especially if its new. No guarantees that's the fault but it's a suspect.

• Advertisement

Thanks doccy. I agree completely, but this is my first build and I've been using laptops only for years, so no spares lying around. I'll try to get a mobo from IT where I work (always good to be friendly with the IT staff :))

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

This is dumb, but are you sure you've got both the PCIe and EPS/ATX12V cables plugged in and firmly seated? They're both classic oversights for any builder :o

Also make sure you've actually reset the CMOS - you may have taken the battery out for a bit but many MSI mobos have a holding capacitor so you need to close a switch or jumper somewhere while the battery is out to actually clear it :o

Past that I'd tend to believe either both graphics cards tested or the entire PCIe bus on the mobo has suffered a premature and dramatic demise :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Just make sure that your motherboard is set correctly and that there are no risers where there isn't meant to be. Made that mistake on my second build.

Thanks for the advice.

allen175 I assume by "risers" you mean the standoffs that the mobo is screwed into? At the moment I know I have a few too many (I just used what was supplied with the case). I plan to get rid of the spare ones next.

Solitaire: I haven't tried that in the same way. I'll give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

MartyMcG wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.

allen175 I assume by "risers" you mean the standoffs that the mobo is screwed into? At the moment I know I have a few too many (I just used what was supplied with the case). I plan to get rid of the spare ones next.

Solitaire: I haven't tried that in the same way. I'll give it a shot.

If you used all of them, then there is your problem, they are causing a short on your motherboard, only use the ones that match up to the holes in the motherboard.

• Advertisement

After a couple of hours I'm back to a 1-long-2-short video problem. I tested with mobo resting on a wooden desk and nothing attached except Power, CPU, RAM and graphics. I removed the extra standoffs and I reset the CMOS (removed battery and left for about a minute in reset mode) and put it back into the case.

After I reset the board it started with one short beep and only phase led 5 & 6 lit. This is supposed to indicate a DRAM problem, but only occurred when the graphics was in place (surely a RAM problem is the first failure and would occur without the graphics card too). It vanished after the CMOS reset. Right now it behaves consistently with and without the graphics card. This flakiness makes me think it may be a problem with the mobo afterall. Is there any reason an intermittent DRAM beep could occur if the mobo is ok? I can't see any physical damage on the board.

Thanks again for all your comments.

If you could cycle through each compatible memory module you own, and some you don't (if all you have are the ones from this build) and you're still not getting any sign of life its high time for an RMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

I had a similar problem when upgrading my gfx card recently. It turned out the pcb on my new gfx card was slightly thinner and wouldn't make a proper connection on my main pcie slot so after trying it with the second pcie slot and it now works fine.

Thanks.
    Solitaire: The memory problem was temporary and was fixed by resetting CMOS (which I planned to do anyway). I don't think I need to do anything more with the RAM.
    Carne: I've tried both PCI-e slots with a brand new 5850 and an old 2400 I borrowed from work. Both slots seem fairly tight, it takes significant pressure to put it in place.
    I'll arrange an RMA. I think I've exhausted the alternatives at this point. Unfortunately I got it from komplett and their site is a mess, they don't reply to email and the phone disconnects after the automatic message. Yeeesh. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Thanks.
    Solitaire: The memory problem was temporary and was fixed by resetting CMOS (which I planned to do anyway). I don't think I need to do anything more with the RAM.
    Carne: I've tried both PCI-e slots with a brand new 5850 and an old 2400 I borrowed from work. Both slots seem fairly tight, it takes significant pressure to put it in place.
    I'll arrange an RMA. I think I've exhausted the alternatives at this point. Unfortunately I got it from komplett and their site is a mess, they don't reply to email and the phone disconnects after the automatic message. Yeeesh. :(

Call directly out to their place in Blanch. At least you'll deal with a human and they should Rma it for you. How much did you pay for the mobo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

dont expect an rma in a hurry it will prob be sent to holland 3-4 weeks would be my guess

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Thanks.

Could try go direct to the manufacturer with an RMA? Quite a few manufacturers have this facility not sure about MSI though.

It'll be slow and you might have to pay (lots of) shipping.

On the other hand, Komplett is completely screwed at the moment - you better have a printout or saved email of the receipts, as the purchase/RMA databases are cooked. By the same token, Komplett's web and phone services are also fried (or literally ringing off the hook). Your only chance of even establishing contact would be to drive to Blanch personally and have a chat with the lads at the pick-up-point, which has somehow become the focal point of their entire Irish operation :o

Advertisement