Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Polo with 84k miles - change timing belt?

• 20-04-2010 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all

I hope I can get some advice on this.

So I bought my first car this weekend - a 1999 VW Polo.

It has 84k miles on the clock.

The previous owner got it regularly serviced (by a family friend) and he reckons the timing belt has not been changed.

Should I drop the car in for a service and get the belt changed? Or do you reckon I am good for a while yet?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

have to look at the value of the car vs cost of belt vs how likely it is to snap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Get it done if it's not been done yet. They are supposed to be done at 60k miles or 4 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Thanks for the replies.

Is there any way I can check myself to see if it looks new or looks like it needs to be changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Get it done toute suite :eek:

60K AFAIK from the memory I have of our polo. Not wise at all to trust an 11 year old belt let alone the miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

OK, I will take the car to a mechanic and get it checked.

Can anyone recommend somewhere in Dublin where I should take it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement