Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help and suggestions need for an Internet Cafe

Options
  • 20-04-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Dear all,

I'm running an Internet cafe with very limited IT knowledge so forgive me and my English. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm using Eircom 24mb/1mb business broadband and no problem for the last 7 months. I started to experience problems/lost connections since yesterday morning. After calling Eircom a few times I think the problem is with the 4 switches and messy cables within the shop.(I took over this business 7 months ago which was in a bad state).

Now rather than trouble shooting which switch is on its way out or which cable is doggy I'm thinking of going wireless and get rid of all cables.

Is this a good idea for my shop? The shop is about 30-40 m2 in size and I have 22 computers in total.

edit: one more question if I want to replace the existing Eircom Netopia wireless G router with a wireless N, should I get cable router or cable modem router?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

If you no IT knowledge then I would not go with Wireless, you will end up having more trouble..

If you have 4 switchs and messy cables just tidy the whole thing up.. hardware switchs are VERY easy to configure.

Also if you have only started to experience trouble since yesterday morning then its most likely the Eircom connection itself..

22 Computers.. how many Ports are on each Switch? (How many little holes where you plug cables in, are on each switch..Usually, 4, 8, 12, 24..)
    Its sounds like you already could have resilance built in. That is in the event of one switch failing, you have room on the other switchs to connect all the cables. Quite important for an Internet Cafe

Advertisement