Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bag/Backpack thoughts?

• 20-04-2010 9:51pm

Hey guys,

I have a few bits and pieces that I've purchased over the last while, and I like to try and take care of my stuff.

So far, everything I own, if it's large (camera, flash, etc.) has its own little bag or if its small (CF cards, batteries, etc.) fits into slots or pockets on the aforementioned bags.

Thing is, one of my DSLRs is a Canon 20D. I have a neckstrap and hand grip on it and due to it's general bulkiness, it's not able to fit into a bag that I bought for it on eBay a while ago (well, it can squeeze in, but that kind of eliminates the point in my opinion. It used to be able to fit in without the hand grip, but i've really come to like the grip on it).

Anyway...

I was mooching on eBay and came across THIS BAG which would seemingly fit my Canon 20D just lovely.

Most of my stuff is put in it's own bag, and then into my backpack (which is not a photography back pack, but just fits a lot of stuff and my laptop) so I have peace of mind if I drop the bag or something hits it, etc. then my stuff is well padded and hopefully won't be damaged. Same for weather; with multiple layers surrounding my items, they won't get wet.

Anyway, then, whilst mooching some more, I came across THIS BACKPACK which, though obviously more expensive, seems to be just generally great.

It has space for two cameras, lots of lenses (i only have three, so only one would be off the camera), little accessories, flash and laptop. Seems like a great little backpack in my opinion, with more space than I could need and also with the ability to stick a tripod on it (for when I eventually decide to get one).

So my question is... Which would you go with? Would you spend the least amount of money and just get the small bag for the canon and stick to the bags within bags kind of method I'm using at the moment, or should I get the backpack?

Does the backpack look, to you, like it could survive a drop? I don't go around swinging my bag around by the straps or anything, but I'd like to think if i slip or it falls off a table or anything my stuff won't be saying goodnight.

Anyone got any suggestions on backpacks at all? I was mooching around and a lot of backpacks seem to run into the price range of hundreds of Euro, which is certainly not something I'm considering at the moment.

I know this thread is a bit all over the shop, so to try and save it and clean it up a bit;

Why do you make of the backpack above? Should I stick to individually packing things? Any thoughts, suggestions or advice on buying backpacks for camera stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

you've lots of meandering thoughts there. go into gunnes camera shop on camden street and try a frew of their bags, they normally have a really good choice at decent prices

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

DotOrg wrote: »
    you've lots of meandering thoughts there. go into gunnes camera shop on camden street and try a frew of their bags, they normally have a really good choice at decent prices

the bigger the bag, the more crud youll put in it, eventually youll get sick of it... a nice slickshot from lowepro is my preference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I have the Rover one and soon to have the sling-shot by the end of the week if you want to look at them let me know. IMO the sholder bags aren't that much good maybe for storeage but over all I dont really like them for walking around the city/etc

RoverAW is for sale :P

This the one?

http://products.lowepro.com/product/CompuRover-AW,1923,16.htm

If that's the one then I don't think I'd be mad about it. Don't get me wrong, It's a nice bag, but not big enough, I fear. I want one that can carry two cameras. I'm a pedantic prick, so I hate the thought of changing lens whilst outdoors or on the move.

I try to carry two camera bodies; each with a different lens. The one in my original post seems to be made for two bodies? Which is one of the things drawing me towards it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Second hand Lowepro bags turn up on Adverts pretty regular. You should keep an eye out. :)

I'd have to say that there is no ideal bag. I have three different types.

I have a Lowepro Computrekker, which looks a lot like the backpack in your OP. It doesn't mention Lowepro in the ebay listing, so I'm guessing it may be a copy. It's a great bag, if you're going on holidays and want to bring everything, including the laptop. TBH, it's just too big for everyday use. If you must carry two bodies - this is the one to go for.

I have the Lowepro Off-Trail 2, which has two slip lock pouches attached. This is great for taking a small amount of gear up a mountain, or on a bike, as it has a shoulder strap and a belt strap, and can be slung at your back. Limited storage, and a bit awkward for everyday use.

Lastly, and I absolutely love this bag, (even though it looks a bit metro on me! :) ), is a Lowepro Classified 160AW. It does everything I want in a bag I can carry around. Doesn't look out of place anywhere, and the camera can easily sit with a 70-200 attached, ready to go, just inside the top, without anyone even noticing! I can get an 11-16, a 50, and a flash in there too! My only complaint, is that if I have it packed full of stuff, it gets heavy across your shoulder after a few hours.

Those are somewhat expensive, but will last you for years.
    If you'd like something a little less expensive, have a look at one of these - Swordfish Detroit Holdall , available in PC World in NI, can't be sure they are available in the Republic. I was only looking at one yesterday, looks just like a satchel on the outside, small and compact, but very well made, and a bargain at £15stg!

HTH :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I picked up one of these over Christmas. I love the bag for storage and car trips.
    I picked this bag because the camera insert is removable and fits in the bottom my favorite backpack. A bit of a compromise but it works for me.
    But it fits loads of gear I have carried 2 nikons with lens attached, 2-3 lenses and holga in the bag. More if I have the insert in the backpack.

mrmac wrote: »
    I have a Lowepro Computrekker, which looks a lot like the backpack in your OP. It doesn't mention Lowepro in the ebay listing, so I'm guessing it may be a copy. It's a great bag, if you're going on holidays and want to bring everything, including the laptop. TBH, it's just too big for everyday use. If you must carry two bodies - this is the one to go for.

Now that's a bag I quite like.

I'm fairly used to carrying around a big backpack as it is anyway, so I don't think I'd be too bothered with the size.

Any idea how much such a backpack would cost? eBay has it at approx €100 or thereabouts. I imagine it'd be much more expensive in a store?

I'll keep my eyes peeled on adverts. I'm in no rush. If nothing appears ove rthe coming weeks, I'll just el bayo it.

EDIT: The brand of the one in my OP, is Weifeng. They show up on Google as a Chinese Photography Equipment company. Anyone ever heard of them?

I picked up one of these over Christmas. I love the bag for storage and car trips.
    I picked this bag because the camera insert is removable and fits in the bottom my favorite backpack. A bit of a compromise but it works for me.
    But it fits loads of gear I have carried 2 nikons with lens attached, 2-3 lenses and holga in the bag. More if I have the insert in the backpack.

You carried two Nikons with lenses attached, 2-3 lenses and a Holga before you messed with it? Or you can carry that much stuff now that you have it as part of your back pack?

One of the issues that I have with non-backpack style bags is that they scream "expensive equipment inside me!". Not something you want in a scumbaggy area...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Bought one of these a while ago.
    Really great bag, couldn't say enough good things about it. Kept all my gear in great condition on my travels and I never had any problems bringing it on as hand luggage too. You can also fit a 17" notebook in it, not sure of the price though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If you want a small bag that carries LOTS of stuff for its size you can't go wrong with a lowe pro Orion Trekker (I've got the mk1 model) but the mk2 is just a differnt syle/colour and caries the same. it's a 50/50 style bag with a camera section down below and regular backpack section up top. With careful packing I can get a pro body with 50mm lens and 4 other pro lenses in. The upper "regular" backpack section has designated pouches for mem card slots, and zip attachments too. There is now a mk3 AW (all weather version)

My Orion Trekker has travelled about 30,000 miles with me. It isn't all weather though (no built in rain sheet) but putting a plastic bag around the padding of the camera section works ok if it is pouring down.

I've also got Lowe Pro CompuRover Trekker AW mk2 (all weather) which is a larger version basically and has a built in laptop section too. I broght this to Japan with me with D3 body, 50mm, 14-24mm 2.8, 80-200mm 2.8, 105mm 2.8, 16mm fisheye, 2 speedlites, 3 pocket wizards, clothes, tools (for my BMX), a lock, a spare pair of shoes and some other stuff to last me a month last year. It was a tight fit but it managed pretty much all in one bag. It is a bit big/heavy if you just want to bring a few things around though and a little cumbersome/overkill at times. It does have chest strap and removeable waist strap which can get in the way when it isnt clipped around the waist. I removed mine and found it easier to live with, with just the chest strap. It DOES have a built in tripod holder which is very useful though!

I also bought Compu Trekker as a smaller laptop/camera bag and its comparable to size to the Orion Trekker but does NOT have any chest or waist straps which is a down point for the bag in my opinion. This bag does NOT have any clip/straps on the camera section in case the zip fails on the lower half (which has happened on my CompuRover 2 before when its been fully packed and the clip/strap is what saved almost all my gear spilling onto the road while cycling down a busy street!!!!!). Once you know you can't pack it too heavily it is fine though.

• Advertisement

Can I ask you guys, see the inserts/dividers on the bags;

18-1925-IMG4L.jpeg

Are they removable? I know the side ones are obviously adjustable for different gear, but is the basic H shape stitched into the bag, or can you adjust it?

For example, on the picture above, could I adjust it to have another camera body with lens attached facing upwards in the centre?

Also, what are the orange things on the bottom? Just accessory pockets?

Thanks again for all the help guys. I'd be completely and totally lost without ye! :)

The orange bits are just to show how the bag can be packed, and are removable.
    All the internal dividers are removable, including the two inner uprights, you can configure the bag any way you want.

Seen the Lowepro Computrekker in person today, and ho-ly shit, it's a BIG bag!

Still not too sure if I'd be going with Lowepro though. They have some seriously nice bags, but they're fairly expensive. I was in a shop today in Drogheda (Maher's Chemist for anyont that knows it) and though the guy talking to me was really great, the prices, none of which were less than €200 (the computrekker was €300), are a serios off-put. For that price, I could buy a new camera or a new lens or a flash gun or... a knock off camera bag from eBay.

I think Lowepro are really just a professional's choice now to be honest. I think i'd be steering well clear of them (unless I was making money, lots of money, from photography, or had an overly expensive camera).

They did have a nice Slik tripod for €100 though that I'm probably gonna take off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭crazydaize

TAMRAC make very good bags and may be slightly more affordable than Lowepros

Seen the Lowepro Computrekker in person today, and ho-ly shit, it's a BIG bag!

Told you it was for taking EVERYTHING with you! :D

The prices for this stuff is crazy, but due to the fact that they are very well made, you should consider buying second hand. All of mine where bought used, (except the Classified), at a fraction of the new price. I think I paid €65 for the Computrekker, which admittedly does have a broken zip on an inside pocket, and is a bit scuffed from use. Still performs perfectly!

These do turn up on Adverts now and then, and usually go for sub €100, even brand new!

Not all lowepro bags are that expensive. The Fastpack 250, which can hold a laptop, is about £60 on Amazon, inc. delivery.
    The Fastpack 350 is only a little bit more, and it can hold a 17" laptop as well.

Best thing is to go bring your gear with you, and try out a few bags in a store. Decide which one you like best, and then try to pick up a bargain!

If you buy from Korea you can pick up a Lowepro bag Compu Trekker Plus for about €150.
    I used that site while in Korea to get one, it can be a confusing site and look awful, but that is just how they do websites in Asia.

Sorry to give this the 'ol bumpity bump, but can anyone tell me, the Lowepro Computrekker AW can carry a tripod on the front;

draft_lens5771202module44818902photo_1247029673tripod_side.jpg

Can it also carry a tripod on the side?

I notice it has a side-strap thingy;

ax0e2w.jpg

I'm looking at getting the Computrekker AW, not just as a means of bringing everything around with me, but also as a place to store all of my stuff. Ideally, I'd like to be able to slap a tripod on the front of it, and a Gorillapod ("SLR Zoom" version) on the side.

also, to anyone who has a computrekker, the tripod on the back, is it easy to take on/off? On one hand, I wouldn't want to spend an hour taking it off, but I wouldn't want someone to be able to unclip it or something as I'm walking along... :confused:

Cheers :)

EDIT: For anyone who cares, theres a few decent lowepro bag pics here;

http://www.photomalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92875

Also can I ask, what are the chances of getting a computrekker + tripod attached to it onto a plane? Impossible? Does the tripod go to the baggage handlers?

Ah right... It's just I seen a bag on el bayo ,(from the original post) and it had me thinking..

2821328200579a28cd22o.jpg

Wouldn't have any idea regarding the airport/plane as carry-on luggage, would you?

Wouldn't have any idea regarding the airport/plane as carry-on luggage, would you?

I brought mine from Korea to Ireland on 8 different flights with no problems.

• Advertisement

ARGINITE wrote: »
    I brought mine from Korea to Ireland on 8 different flights with no problems.

A computrekker with a tripod attached? Or a computrekker on its own?

Bag on it's own, no tripods attached.
    I think the tripods could cause a lot of hassle.

Advertisement