Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network Disaster - Help Needed!!

Options
  • 20-04-2010 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can someone please help me - I've spent the last few hours trying to get this up and running!

I have a Smart broadband modem. I have a homeplug connected to the modem.

Upstairs I have the other homeplug connected to a "Linksys WRV200 Wireless-G VPN Router".

I'm basically trying to boost the signal of the broadband upstairs.

It's working very intermittently - not usable at all, might come on for a minute and then just go again.

On the wireless network it says Connected - Internet Access but I can't get onto any web pages.

Can someone PLEASE tell me what settings should I have on the Linksys config page in order to get the Linksys access point/router to work!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can someone please help me - I've spent the last few hours trying to get this up and running!

I have a Smart broadband modem. I have a homeplug connected to the modem.

Upstairs I have the other homeplug connected to a "Linksys WRV200 Wireless-G VPN Router".

I'm basically trying to boost the signal of the broadband upstairs.

It's working very intermittently - not usable at all, might come on for a minute and then just go again.

On the wireless network it says Connected - Internet Access but I can't get onto any web pages.

Can someone PLEASE tell me what settings should I have on the Linksys config page in order to get the Linksys access point/router to work!!

Should you not have the Router connected directly to the Smart modem & then one of the home plugs connected to the router, the other home plug should then be put upstairs?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Should you not have the Router connected directly to the Smart modem & then one of the home plugs connected to the router, the other home plug should then be put upstairs?

-

There's a flight of stairs between the router and the modem so I'm trying to do it via homeplugs.

The homeplugs I have don't extend the wireless - just ethernet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Is the wireless unit a "router" or and "access point"???

If its a router it may have a WAN port, can you check that for us?

FusionNet wrote: »
    Is the wireless unit a "router" or and "access point"???

If its a router it may have a WAN port, can you check that for us?

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

It has a WAN port, but I'm connecting the homeplug into one of the ethernet ports.

It says it's a router but in the settings I have it set to "Gateway". There is also an option to use it as a router.

Can you do two tests for me and we'll try and rule out the issue:

Firstly:

Can you connect the modem and the second router together with a patch cable and verify that you have a fully functional 100% stable internet connection from both units?

Secondly:

Can you turn off the second router and connect your main router and one of the homeplugs together. Can you then plug in the second homeplug and connect directly into it and again check for internet and stability.

Then report back.. Cheers!

• Advertisement

Can you do two tests for me and we'll try and rule out the issue:

Firstly:

Can you connect the modem and the second router together with a patch cable and verify that you have a fully functional 100% stable internet connection from both units?

Secondly:

Can you turn off the second router and connect your main router and one of the homeplugs together. Can you then plug in the second homeplug and connect directly into it and again check for internet and stability.

Then report back.. Cheers!

Hi Eoghan,

Tried both and both tests worked fine.

Kept a constant ping going on both tests and no dropped packets.

Went back to my original setup, couldn't browse the net even tho according to the wireless network icon on my laptop I had internet access.

Went to "Manage Wireless Networks", removed the network, rejoined and I'm browsing away fine now.

I could nearly guarantee that it will go belly on me later tho :confused:

Oh I meant to ask.. Have you switched off DHCP on one of the units or are you using a static IP set up?? Also what IP Range are you using, if the two routers are both trying to hand out IPs you'll get internet problems, also if both are on the same range you will have issues..

Sorry if Im stating the obvious Im just not too sure what you've tried..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Oh I meant to ask.. Have you switched off DHCP on one of the units or are you using a static IP set up?? Also what IP Range are you using, if the two routers are both trying to hand out IPs you'll get internet problems, also if both are on the same range you will have issues..

This is your problem

I'd say you've hit the nail on the head!!

Think DHCP is turned on, on both devices and the range is 192.168.1.xxx

Do I just turn DHCP off on one device and I'm laughing?

(thanks for all your help btw!)

Hi there,

Ya your dead right. Turn off DHCP on the second unit and for management purpuses make sure bothe arent on 192.168.1.1 for example. Set your DHCP range on the first unit from 192.168.1.10 to 50 say and set the second router up as 192.168.1.2. Even though this isnt a 100% stable solution as having 2 routers together can always cause a little problem but it should be fine. An access point on the second unit would be more stable but as I say for your set up should be perfect.

And no bother for the help thats what we're here for..!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement