Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English essay lengths

Options
  • 20-04-2010 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I was just wondering how much everyone is writing? like how many pages for the composition on paper 1, the single text, comparitive text, and prescribed poetry... I know everyone has different sized writng and all, but a rough idea would be helpful....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Good question! I'm not really sure, but I usually do around:

Essay: 4 pages
    Single Text: 3 pages
    Comparative: 3.5 pages
    Poetry: 3 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

zam wrote: »
    Good question! I'm not really sure, but I usually do around:

Essay: 4 pages
    Single Text: 3 pages
    Comparative: 3.5 pages
    Poetry: 3 pages

You only do 3 pages for peotry? Did your teacher say that's ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Poetry: 4 pages
    Comparative: 5-6 pages
    Single text: 4 pages
    Essay: 4-5 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

kev9100 wrote: »
    You only do 3 pages for peotry? Did your teacher say that's ok?

Well think about it like this - the Section B on the Paper 1 comprehension is worth the same amount of marks as the Poetry. I wouldn't waste my time writing 3 pages for that! 900-1000 words is standard for poetry I hear :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

Essay: 4-5 pages
    Comparative: 5-7 pages
    (I know I write way too much for this and I do try and shorten it down a bit but I find it almost impossible to cover all the points with just 5 pages!)
    Single Text: 4-5 pages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I do about 1000 words for poetry and long questions. About 500 for the part B's.

All between 4-6 pages...I have gigantic handwriting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

3-4 for everything is pretty much standard...

but QUALITY is so much better than quantity..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

There's no right or wrong length of answer; there's only answering the question and not answering the question:cool:

Students get very worked up about the poetry. It's 1/8 of the exam and you should try not to spend 1/2 of your time studying it or 1/2 the exam writing it. 3/4 pages of standard writing is absolutely fine.

A long comparative is ok, as long as it's very clearly structured and addresses the question asked. There is no need to cover EVERYTHING, you could write forever on cultural context for example and never finish it. Write about the aspects that show the most about the CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Essay - 6
    Single Text - 4
    Comparative - 6
    Poetry - 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

I usually dish out 3-4 pages each on the big shtuff. Gets me what I need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I aim for 3-4 pages on each long question.In the mocks I only did 3 pages for each long question.Gonna need to bump that up a little if I want my B.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

It's awfully clichéd but it really is a case of quality > quantity. I wouldn't worry much about the length of your work if it covers the question asked in a well-structured and concise manner which accurately conveys the depth of your knowledge of the material. And yes, this applies to paper 1 too. For the composition they're assessing one's ability to formulate a logically binding narrative/argument that doesn't waffle and shows that you fully understand what the question is asking you to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

It also really depends on your writing size, one teacher told me over the easter the average studentw writes about 7-8 words per line, whilst i write about 13-16 per line...so....

The essay during the mox was a speech and it was only 1.5 A4 pages long, got 79/100 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

At the risk of sounding like a parrot, quality really is an awful lot more important than quantity, but obviously you can't get away with giving answers that are too short, either.

I wrote about the following for the various questions in my exam, if I remember correctly (bear in mind that my writing is VERY big, especially when I'm under pressure):

Essay: 5-6 pages
    Single Text: 6 pages
    Comparative: 7 pages
    Poetry: 5 pages

As I've said already, my writing is big by normal standards. Hope that's in some way helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Denter

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭_Chaos

I always do 3-4 pages, but normally hit the 5....as long as you cover all the points (eg theme tone imagery & poetic device for each poem, and relate to q at start and end of ewach paragraph, with varieb vocab) you should be alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Essay: 6 pages
    Comparative: 6 pages
    Single text: 5 pages

Advertisement