Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gothic Rock

Options
  • 20-04-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Lately I've probably been listening to more gothic rock than any other sort of music due to it's overall atmosphere and amazing song structures. I'm not talking about so called goth bands these days, or that horrible electro/industrial crap that is so popular these days unfortunatley but real goth rock like Fields of The Nephilim, The Cure, All About Eve, The Damned, Sisters of Mercy, Nosferatu, The Mission Uk, Bauhaus, Joy Division, Love Like Blood, Elusive, The Eden House and Opened Paradise.

So is anybody else here a big fan of gothic rock, and what bands do you love the most?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I still remember how I felt when I saw Mindless Self Indulgence under "Gothic-Industrial" in a shop before.. Awful, awful feeling.

Gothic type bands I've listened to/liked include Type O Negative, Anathema, Graveworm, Katatonia and Moonspell. I'm not hugely into it, most of these I just happened to hear on stuff like last.fm, with the exception of Type O and Moonspell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

yeah it tends to be more melodious and macabre, mature too i guess. the genre was mostly obscurities that could barely be afforded even to be put to press, typically EPs what i did was get on Soulseek n just genre search year by year n trial everything Darkwave / Goth / Postpunk from 77 to 87. i dare not recommend an act as a whole as i'd tend to hate 99% of someone's discography but 1 of say 4 tracks i kept may be greatest thing i ever heard. could tap into some blogs as an alternate method of discovery. a lot genuinely does play with madness so be warned! :pac:

Christian Death
    Kommunity FK
    Nocturnal Projections
    Aimless Device
    Fools Dance
    Silent Rite
    Cancel
    Bed of Nails
    Fracture
    Every New Dead Ghost
    Punctured Tough Guy
    The Indian Feast
    The Tear Garden
    Deathride 69
    Death in Venice
    Shark Taboo
    Corpus Delecti
    Arch Criminals
    Tuxedomoon
    Belfegore
    Cold Phoenix
    13th Chime
    The Silent Scream
    Twisted Nerve
    Naked and the Dead
    The Flesh Eaters
    The Dark
    Soul Merchants
    In Excelsis
    Siglo XX
    Shadow of Fear
    Part 1
    Rebel Christening
    Anorexic Dread
    Play Dead
    Voodoo Church
    Screams for Tina
    Cold War
    Artery
    Neural Circus

-this blog caters for 80s wave of a dark nature

http://phoenixhairpins.blogspot.com

guy was on fire w/ his posts for a good 4yr.. but he's sucked the archives almost dry by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Lately I've probably been listening to more gothic rock than any other sort of music due to it's overall atmosphere and amazing song structures. I'm not talking about so called goth bands these days, or that horrible electro/industrial crap that is so popular these days unfortunatley but real goth rock like Fields of The Nephilim, The Cure, All About Eve, The Damned, Sisters of Mercy, Nosferatu, The Mission Uk, Bauhaus, Joy Division, Love Like Blood, Elusive, The Eden House and Opened Paradise.

So is anybody else here a big fan of gothic rock, and what bands do you love the most?

Add some Type O Negative, Katatonia and bits of Seventh Void (more doom than Gothic but they have their moments) to your list and you pretty much would have my list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I always liked the Cult, Love was a fabulous albums (I dont think there was a band in Dublin at that time that didn't cover She sells sanctuary, Phoenix or Rain), I liked Electric when they went all AC/DC and I think they lost a lot of fans because of the new direction. But I wasn't too crazy about Sonic temple and all else that followed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Trying to set up a goth rock night here in Cork - not going great though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Sandvich wrote: »
    If I had a way there and back, I'd like something like this

It's hard to advertise it. I posted about it on PROC but it got spammed with abusive posts and trolling then I ended up getting into an argument with an idiot who thought that their abusive posts were "Valid criticism" and was scolding me for not viewing things that way.

This is the kind of nonsense you have to put up with which is one of the reasons the goth scene in Ireland is kind of dead; too many skangers and eejits.

I guess I'll have to just try putting up posters, etc., but it's a shame there wasn't somewhere decent online to advertise.

This is the kind of nonsense you have to put up with which is one of the reasons the goth scene in Ireland is kind of dead; too many skangers and eejits.
    I know this feeling.. I have longer hair than most of the girls in my area, never mind the guys, so on a pretty regular basis I get "freak", "goth" and "emo". Granted if I ask them what a goth or emo is the most witty of replies I get is "you haw haw haw"

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

damonjewel wrote: »
    I always liked the Cult, Love was a fabulous albums (I dont think there was a band in Dublin at that time that didn't cover She sells sanctuary, Phoenix or Rain), I liked Electric when they went all AC/DC and I think they lost a lot of fans because of the new direction. But I wasn't too crazy about Sonic temple and all else that followed.

+ 1 For The Cult, great band

• Advertisement

Years and years back Sir Henrys in Cork had a good rock/metal/goth night. Was pretty good. I am pretty sure that there would be still the numbers there in Cork for a club like it that had a good metal/rock/goth night.

Costellos in Limerick still play a fair share of music by the likes of The Cult, Sisters Of Mercy, The Cure etc.

I'd need someone to help plan it, know what to play to draw people in, etc. which is tough to find. I don't talk to anyone with the same music interests as me.

I only really know enough about goth music to have a diverse playlist too. I could throw on some metal but it wouldn't be as diverse, mostly Swedish Death Metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Virgin Prunes

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Nobody has mentioned Paradise Lost? This brings a tear to my eyes...
    But fully up with you with most of the bands you mentioned, love Sisters, Joy Division, etc, etc:pac:

Kazuma wrote: »
    But fully up with you with most of the bands you mentioned, love Sisters, Joy Division, etc, etc:pac:

Disgusted that I never thought of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Denny M wrote: »
    I still remember how I felt when I saw Mindless Self Indulgence under "Gothic-Industrial" in a shop before.. Awful, awful feeling.

Gothic type bands I've listened to/liked include Type O Negative, Anathema, Graveworm, Katatonia and Moonspell. I'm not hugely into it, most of these I just happened to hear on stuff like last.fm, with the exception of Type O and Moonspell.

Mindless Self Indulgence are a horrible band regardless of genre. Those bands you listed would be classed as gothic metal and not gothic rock as such. I'd say you'd like the bands I listed because they do rock quite hard, the guitar riffs are awesome and they have a very haunting atmosphere.
    damonjewel wrote: »

'Love' is a fantastic album, and the expaned version that was released is even better because it has a lot of class rare songs that were recorded back then. I wasn't mad about 'Electric, because it was too stripped down for me, but I love 'Sonic Temple'. The 'Ceremony' album was quite good, but not next or near as interesting as either 'Love or Sonic Temple'. Those two albums to me are the best Cult albums ever made.
    It's hard to advertise it. I posted about it on PROC but it got spammed with abusive posts and trolling then I ended up getting into an argument with an idiot who thought that their abusive posts were "Valid criticism" and was scolding me for not viewing things that way.

I guess I'll have to just try putting up posters, etc., but it's a shame there wasn't somewhere decent online to advertise.

Thats a shame. What kind of gothic music were you planning on playing?
    Kazuma wrote: »
    But fully up with you with most of the bands you mentioned, love Sisters, Joy Division, etc, etc

Paradise Lost are really brilliant especially 'Draconian Times and One Second'. The new album is also really great, and much better than the last one. The reason I didn't mention Paradise Lost is because they are gothic metal and not gothic rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

That's a pretty cool idea, would love to see something a little bit more alternative going on down here, in trems of a club. Only thing that is remotely close is Freakscene and the bastards in there won't even play a bit of Metallica:rolleyes:

Thats a shame. What kind of gothic music were you planning on playing?

Oldschool stuff like Bauhaus, Sisters, London After Midnight; more modern goth stuff like Switchblade Symphony, Cinema strange. I also want to throw in some cool electro stuff; as a change from the "Industrial" most goth clubs play, I want to play other dark sounding electro stuff.

This would be a good example, more trip hop than industrial. It kind of reminds me a bit of Alien Sex Fiend in places too. I think a lot of heavier trip hop fits in with some goth stuff than industrial, but it could be risky.

I'd try and include an eclectic/miscellaneous element since that's true to the nature of the genre itself, I might play some fairly random stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah I love a number of songs by Sisters of Mercy, The Mission, New Model Army, Killing Joke, Bauhaus etc but I do find that stuff can be a bit silly and OTT and scary camp like a Hammer House of Horror movie. Some of it is tongue in cheek (Sisters of Mercy) but some of it very much isn't and takes itself painfully seriously.
    I have a couple of 80s goth compilations which I love, but I don't think I'd go out and buy albums by those artists.

Others though who tend to get lumped in with the above include: Joy Division (wtf really), Siouxse & The Banshees, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Cure, The Cult, post mid 80s Depeche Mode. There's a lot more to these groups though than a goth element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

JAMC?

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah I love a number of songs by Sisters of Mercy, The Mission, New Model Army, Killing Joke, Bauhaus etc but I do find that stuff can be a bit silly and OTT and scary camp like a Hammer House of Horror movie. Some of it is tongue in cheek (Sisters of Mercy) but some of it very much isn't and takes itself painfully seriously.
    I have a couple of 80s goth compilations which I love, but I don't think I'd go out and buy albums by those artists.

Others though who tend to get lumped in with the above include: Joy Division (wtf really), Siouxse & The Banshees, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Cure, The Cult, post mid 80s Depeche Mode. There's a lot more to these groups though than a goth element.

I don't think many "goth" bands took themselves seriously except Joy Division who were kinda pre-goth. I suppose the Cure did a bit too until they "Lightened up".

Nolanger wrote: »
    Virgin Prunes

of course. world famous goth group from Ballymun - what are the chances of THAT over the past 20+yr?! how times have changed eh.. due to the degeneration/dumbing down of society. and as they've found their niche, don't expect this country's skanger phenomenon to EVER lift. :)

from the Gavin Friday rockumentary from RTE a few weeks back, focuses on VP @ 3:03.

I don't think many "goth" bands took themselves seriously except Joy Division who were kinda pre-goth. I suppose the Cure did a bit too until they "Lightened up".

of course they did! if not i'd be concerned..

i f'n loathe Joy Division now. yes gothic elements entered the fray as Curtis came 'closer'.. but way too much championing and overexposure over the past few years. now mainstream postpunk icons for hedi slimane wearing white collar types

-n i've seen Ian Curtis referred to as the 'Gothfather', lol. Rozz Williams was!

Oldschool stuff like Bauhaus, Sisters, London After Midnight; more modern goth stuff like Switchblade Symphony, Cinema strange. I also want to throw in some cool electro stuff; as a change from the "Industrial" most goth clubs play, I want to play other dark sounding electro stuff.

I'd try and include an eclectic/miscellaneous element since that's true to the nature of the genre itself, I might play some fairly random stuff.

I love the old bands, but I would definitely pass on Switchblade Symphony, Cinema strange, electoro/industrial stuff and most deathrock as well. I'm not trying to be closed minded it's just none of that stuff appeals to me, and I much prefer the old school guitar driven bands like Fields of The Nephilim, Bauhaus, Sisters, Mission, The Cure, All About Eve, Nosferatu and Joy Division. The best of luck to you anyway.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Strange, I love Katatonia but would never have classified them as gothic but then again that's the whole problem with genre labelling.

Anyways here's a few you may not have heard of that you may or may not like!

Absolutely love this one from German misery merchants, Lacrimas Profundere

and new boys from LA, Dommin

BTW, the girl in the Dommin video is so far beyond gorgeous it's scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

bauhaus will always be at the top for me...the original and best....'passion of lovers' was the template for every sisters song and most goth rock songs that followed...legends...

I love the old bands, but I would definitely pass on Switchblade Symphony, Cinema strange, electoro/industrial stuff and most deathrock as well. I'm not trying to be closed minded it's just none of that stuff appeals to me, and I much prefer the old school guitar driven bands like Fields of The Nephilim, Bauhaus, Sisters, Mission, The Cure, All About Eve, Nosferatu and Joy Division. The best of luck to you anyway.:)

I wouldn't really be playing much Industrial except stuff like Collide(who are closer to Trip Hop); I want to try finding some darker electro that isn't industrial. "Goth" friendly electronic goes off either in the direction of Industrial or Trip Hop, and I'm going for the Trip Hop direction.

I think Cinema Strange fit in with the old school stuff pretty well really(Astonished Eyes of the Evening), they sound like the Virgin Prunes.

You can't please everyone I guess, so it's a tough cookie.

Mindless Self Indulgence are a horrible band regardless of genre. Those bands you listed would be classed as gothic metal and not gothic rock as such. I'd say you'd like the bands I listed because they do rock quite hard, the guitar riffs are awesome and they have a very haunting atmosphere.

Those bands aren't really any kind of goth, but as an interesting fact, Moonspell are heavily influenced by Dead Can Dance.

starflake wrote: »
    + 1 For The Cult, great band

Really class song, but I wouldn't class it has goth as such, I would class it as really excellent 80's hard rock.;)
    Dudess wrote: »

I know what you mean about some goth bands being OTT, but maybe you should check out Fields of The Nephilim. They do take themselves seriously, but the music that they play speaks for itself. I'd start off with 'The Nephilim' album first and then hear the others if you loved that album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Antrim Hotels

gothic rock is great!
    i love to listen to it the odd time when im in the mood

Advertisement