Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running while pregnant?

Options
  • 20-04-2010 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Should you give up running when pregnant? I know exercise is essential during pregnancy but it seems running is not advised. Any comments?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ask your doctor.

Many people run/exercise while pregnant, it depends on the individual person and the health of their pregnancy etc the only one who can really answer this question for you is your doctor. Generally people can perform fine up to about 5 months and I think they recommend you stop running then. Coming from a personal training point of view pregnancy specific exercise both aerobic and resistance, is highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

:Looking at the TV coverage of the Great Ireland Run there was a lady on it interviewed holding a child in her arms. The child had ran it with her the previous year...in her tummy.:):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's a poster on the Runner's World forums who ran Boston while 25 weeks pregnant last year, finished in 4:30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Should you give up running when pregnant? I know exercise is essential during pregnancy but it seems running is not advised. Any comments?

check out this blog here...she ran pretty much through her pregnancy and talks a lot about it and the advice and reaction she encountered along the way.

http://sealegsgirl.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 24 patfol

I think once you don't do anything too excessive you'll be grand. I wouldn't be looking to set pb's or anything like that! Just keep doing what you're doing and reduce amount when it's putting you under pressure. Forget about asking your doctor. From a legal point of view once you ask them if you can do an activity they're going to say no because if anything happened to you they could be liable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

If you are actually pregnant - how dumb is it to take advice from a bunch of people you don't even know over the internet?? You've a little person growing inside of you, go see your doctor!
    If you are not pregnant, why on earth would you want to discuss this on the internet? Stop putting ideas into other peoples heads - not very responsible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm sure I read an article a few years ago from someone reporting on their own great efforts in a 10k in some race in the UK. Only to then be beaten by a pregnant Paula Radcliffe strolling past him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It depends on how much you run now, how much you're planning to run, at what stage of your pregnancy, and how your pregnancy is going...

Talk to your doctor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

One of the big issues in pregnancy is not to overheat as the foetus overheats (thus being advised to avoid saunas, hot baths etc) so the running issue I believe is more about overheating than the actual running. In that case it all depends on the individual and circumstances e.g a heavily pregnant Paula Radcliffe could pass non pregnant me without breaking a sweat while I am close to collapse.
    It's also important to keep an eye on your blood pressure so like the others say.... discuss with your doc.
    I have to say I would err on the side of caution if in doubt.

article here http://www.pregnancytoday.com/articles/exercise-in-pregnancy/running-while-pregnant-2251/

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Ive started taking swiimming lessons with this in mind - no way am I gonna strap myself down for 9 months if/when it happens....:cool:
    Do bumps float? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Milesandmiles

You're going to have to see how you get on. It's reccommended that you keep an eye on your heart rate. As another poster mentioned, don't overheat. I'm assuming you were training before you fell pregnant. It's not a good idea to decide to go on a fitness crusade for the first time after falling pregnant.

Some people, mainly elites, train right up to birth. Others have to move from running to the pool. Err on the side of caution and you and baby will be fine. In moderation it's good for both of you. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

whatcha think of calling him Miles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

tried doin it when i was pregnant but it just felt too weird , i suppose your doctor knows best , theres always swimming as a great alternative , i found it really enjoyable without be too strenous , the weighlessness in the water doesnt leave you too exhausted !

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Thought I'd revive an old thread rather than starting a new one

Any pregnant runners or running mothers out there like to share some advice or their experiences? I'd be interested just to hear how ye got on, if ye continued running or not while preggers, reasons for either, and any tips for newbies :)

I've been running a few years now, usually 5k, 8k, halfs and worked up recently to couple of full marathons and tris but reduced mileage on runs and bike in the latter half of 2013 due to injury issues. 11w pregnant now, first timer, and I've tried to keep up some running but the nausea and exhaustion is a killer (even when just walking or watching tv! :eek:). When I've run by myself in the last few weeks, I struggle to keep up 11min/m for 4-5 miles, and have to actually walk some bits between dodgy tum and total lack of energy. That is a surprise to me as I've never walked in runs before (not super fit, more like stubborn). Those runs are usually before breakfast. But oddly enough, I've done kinda ok in 2 races, 5k 2 weeks ago in 25:50 and a hilly 5 miler yesterday in 46:23, tum a bit dodge but not so exhausted. The races have been after a good breakfast though, so that might help. Anything longer than 5 mile I'd say I'd be crawling though.

I'm really keen to keep up some kind of exercise, whatever I can, during the pregnancy. I want to give the little nipper the best chance of everything, and keeping active is one way I can do that. I work in metabolism/health research now and previously worked in embryonic development research so I have a little background in the two areas (sometimes wish I knew a bit less about the development side... :()

I'm finding it tough to be unable to do much, its so boring!! My other half is slowly cranking up the mileage for his next marathon, its so stupid but I'm feeling kinda jealous :rolleyes:

That's my two cents so far, would love to hear a few bits from anyone else, past or present stories welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

http://www.pregnancytopodium.com/
    in fairness i believe Susie was mainly cycling but i am sure there's plenty of info there. best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 stirwell

http://youtu.be/oauocB3p9lM

This seems like a really happy household.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Thanks for the links folks.

I'll include one too:

Came across this interview recently between two english marathon runners talking about running, pregnancy, body changes and post pregnancy. It is actually pretty normal and reassuring, one of them couldnt run at all for the first few months as she felt so ill. Makes me feel a bit better if even the pros can't keep it up!

Go about half way down the list to:
    Training Talk - 41:47
    - Liz Yelling talks to Imogen Norton about running before and after childbirth

http://www.marathontalk.com/podcast/episode_108_sir_chris_chataway_part_one.php

Advertisement