Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin Keown

• 20-04-2010 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have an idea of how much this man gets paid for giving us such insight into tonights game as "Abigail" instead of Abidal, "Puskas" instead of Busquets and saying that Barca need four goals to go through now?

He makes Mark Lawrenson look like Mastermind material.

Seriously though, TV3 have the worst taste in commentators, presenters and pundits. Discuss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Which is why I watched it on Sky Sports, with the volume down and Whitesnake blaring in the background...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I like Keown, he's an improvement on RTE's B-panel.

Matt Cooper though, ffs. He told us the last time that Barca lost a knock-out game was against Chelsea 3-1, but won the return leg 5-4. ''but still went out.''

No Matt, they won 5-4 on aggregate.

I hate the propagation of misinformation. Dunphy does this all the time with his ''knowledge'' of Spanish football. (saying Ronaldo has less goals than he actually has etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea of how much this man gets paid for giving us such insight into tonights game as "Abigail" instead of Abidal, "Puskas" instead of Busquets and saying that Barca need four goals to go through now?

He makes Mark Lawrenson look like Mastermind material.

Seriously though, TV3 have the worst taste in commentators, presenters and pundits. Discuss.

I didnt watch TV3... but did he really say that? did he correct himself or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I didnt watch TV3... but did he really say that? did he correct himself or what?

He said that and Cooper corrected him saying thats if Inter score. In fairness I think thats what he meant but he just didnt state it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    "Abigail" instead of Abidal

I LOLd :D

Was Mark Lawrenson stoned or sloshed tonight or something.....the most dreadful co-commentary I've ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

At least Keown has some tactical insight into the game which is of actual value. Sure he's never been the smartest egg in the basket but he usually gets it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

BREAKING NEWS ON SKY;

"Football pundit mis-pronounces footballers name"

Big swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Martin Keown is an excellent pundit imo, love him on MOTD, and is also a legend, Keown Keown Keown Keown !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Keown is quite a decent pundit to be fair ,better than most pundits on Sky,ITV and BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Former Great

I LOLd :D

Was Mark Lawrenson stoned or sloshed tonight or something.....the most dreadful co-commentary I've ever heard.

The reason it was worse than ever tonight is cos i reckon neither of these two stooges were at the game , more than likely commentating from some room in dublin because of travel restrictions..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Barce would be better off playign someone called abigail.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I never pay attention to pundits in general. Never watch pre match buil up or post match reaction. I just saw the match, I can think for myself.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

His gormless expression doesn't help his cause.

I never pay attention to pundits in general. Never watch pre match buil up or post match reaction. I just saw the match, I can think for myself.

Wow, aren't you the special one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

The reason it was worse than ever tonight is cos i reckon neither of these two stooges were at the game , more than likely commentating from some room in dublin because of travel restrictions..

Now you've said that I thought the crowd noise sounded like a looped recording.

Keown is great though.Big dashing b*stard that guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

kinaldo wrote: »
    Matt Cooper though, ffs. He told us the last time that Barca lost a knock-out game was against Chelsea 3-1, but won the return leg 5-4. ''but still went out.''

No Matt, they won 5-4 on aggregate.

And it cut straight to an ad break and as soon as it returned he corrected himself immediately.

Everyone makes mistakes. At least he noticed and rectified it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Or Trever Welsh constantly mixing up Eto'o + Maicon and Sneijder + Cambiasso.

Frisbee wrote: »
    And it cut straight to an ad break and as soon as it returned he corrected himself immediately.

Everyone makes mistakes. At least he noticed and rectified it.
    Fair enough but I missed the correction and am sure a lot of people switched off as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The quality of football pundits and co-commentators is really starting to get me down. It is one thing having an opinion but virtually everything that they use to back up their argument is completely made up or to put it mildly, delusional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Osu wrote: »
    Or Trever Welsh constantly mixing up Eto'o + Maicon and Sneijder + Cambiasso.

The worst offenders for this are 3e. It was ****ing Babel that put the ball in the net, not N'Gog!! Then they continue discussing N'Gog despite numerous close ups of Babel and their own graphics showing the correct name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,564 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I found Keown ok tonight and was quite good when talking about England's chances in the WC.
    Not the usual 'England to win' hype on British channels.

All in all though I can't stand TV3's football coverage.

Matt Cooper is a terrible presenter. Commentary is poor and the sound quality from the stadium is terrible. You could hear nothing from the crowd when goals were scored, had to switch over to Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Former Great

murpho999 wrote: »
    I found Keown ok tonight and was quite good when talking about England's chances in the WC.
    Not the usual 'England to win' hype on British channels.

All in all though I can't stand TV3's football coverage.

Matt Cooper is a terrible presenter. Commentary is poor and the sound quality from the stadium is terrible. You could hear nothing from the crowd when goals were scored, had to switch over to Sky.

As i said earlier this is because the two bucks were more than likely commentating from some studio in dublin , they werent in milan cos of the travel restrictions id say..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Keown is far far from the worst pundit out there in all fairness. its a bit rich to be slagging him off when he's regularly partnered by Tony f*cking Cascarino.

Cooper also is a decent presenter IMO. His radio show is excellent.

Advertisement