Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bicycle Polo Tournament

• 20-04-2010 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

The Bicycle Polo Association of Ireland will be hosting Series One of the 2010 European Championship on Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th this month. The event will take place in the Polo Grounds, Phoenix Park with teams coming from France, England and Scotland to compete.
    The tournament will feature 10 teams and over 60 players from across Europe.

The matches will start at 10am and the last match will finish at 5pm on the Saturday and 4pm on the Sunday.The polo stand will be open to spectators!

I honestly think Ireland have the best chance of winning since the sport's revival in 2006, so support is very welcome!

More info on the tournament and the sport can be found on: http://bicyclepoloireland.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

What time?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Sorry i should have included that in the post, matches will start at 10am and finish at 5pm on the Saturday and 4pm on the Sunday.

keenan110 wrote: »
    Sorry i should have included that in the post, matches will start at 10am and finish at 5pm on the Saturday and 4pm on the Sunday.
    Thanks. Times aren't on the website either.

DFD*

*DoneFaultDefining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

thats all wrong, there should be no such thing as a bike polo tournament, its a fixie thing, belongs underground :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

me@ucd wrote: »
    thats all wrong, there should be no such thing as a bike polo tournament, its a fixie thing, belongs underground :cool:
    grass court bike polo is definitely not a "fixie" thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

abcdggs wrote: »
    grass court bike polo is definitely not a "fixie" thing

ah ok, didnt see that mentioned in the detail. but I did miss the clue with a grass court polo on the site [time anyone? :D)

Its a very far removed sport from the hardcourt polo! We're the vintage lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

keenan110 wrote: »
    We're the vintage lads!

The most vintage of all, if I'm not mistaken- wasn't this version of bike polo invented here, in the Phoenix Park itself? (Fixie polo? Pfft. :D)

Thanks for the heads-up. I should head along for a look at some stage.

While we're on the subject, I've heard strong rumours that there'll be bike polo at the Bike Week 2010 Family Day in the Phoenix Park again this year (Sunday June 20th), in case anyone can't make it along this weekend.

Anyway, good luck with the tournament!

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    The most vintage of all, if I'm not mistaken- wasn't this version of bike polo invented here, in the Phoenix Park itself?

Yeah, it was invented in Ireland in 1891 and featured in the London Olympics in 1908. There is a video here of bicycle polo being played in the phoenix park in 1938!

Despite all the trouble with flights in the past few days all the teams have thankfully got over in time for the start of the tournament tomorrow morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Will there be much going on by 10? I might call in to have a look for a min.

Also, are James and yourself competing yeah?

Yeah, There should be two matches kicking of at 10, and the first Irish match is scheduled for 10:45.

Yeah we're both playing:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

I'll probably head over today and check this out.

We called up this morning. Looked like great fun. Not too many spectators. A few French accents in the playground nearby though :)

DFD*

*DelightfulFrench'Dames

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

I'm not in Dublin anymore, but for anyone that might be interested, there is hardcourt polo every Saturday in Crumlin, and sporadically on Wednesdays in Cabra. Anyone can join in, mallets provided, just bring yourself and a bike. More info about it in this forum.

Phoenix(Dublin) drew their match with E.S.G.L(France), lost to St Pierre(France) and beat Chelsea Peddlers(England).

Unfortunately one of the French players was in a bad crash and an ambulance had to be called, but other than that the tournament has been good so far.

Some photos from the weekend are available here.

Advertisement