Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon EOS Utility + Windows 7 Compatibility?

• 20-04-2010 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

I like to use the EOS Utility to download photos from my cameras because they automatically go into the correct folder and seperate themselves into folders organized by shooting date. Very handy.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble having either of my cameras recognized by the EOS Utility - Windows Explorer has no trouble seeing the cameras so I can still download images, but I really do prefer the EOS Utility to manually seperating out images by shooting date.

A bit of googling shows that this is not an isolated problem - but I have yet to find a solution. I figured I'd come here to see has anyone here solved the problem.

I have already downloaded the most recent version of EOS Utility from the Canon Website. No joy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

What about taking the card from your cameras and using a cardreader? Have not tried EOS Utility but this works fine with ZoomBrowser EX under Win7 and separates images into the folder structure you are looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Hmmm. I tried that just now. Something popped up about "known compatibility issues"

Also I'm not sure if there's an option for downloading only "new" (as in, not yet downloaded onto that computer) images like there is with the EOS Utility.

...I really just want to use the EOS Utility since I've been using it for years now and I like it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Which Canon cameras are you using?

Just tried the EOS Utility version 2.8.1.0, works OK for me - 5D2 firmware 2.0.4, Win7 64bit. Controls camera and uploads images and sorts by date etc.

Pete67 wrote: »
    5D2 firmware 2.0.4

is this the firmware on your 5D mkII? if so, how do you check which version you have and how do you update it?

• Advertisement

so, so far I've tried eos utility v 1.1, 2.8, and 2.4. No joy with any of them.

Reinstalled 2.8.1 and it seems to be working with one of the two cameras now. No idea what I did differently this time. G10 (which is for personal rather than professional use) still not supported but the canon website seems to confirm this.

They G10 is not a particularly old camera - I am surprised and disappointed that Canon decided not to support it in the latest EOS Utility.

Xiney wrote: »
    is this the firmware on your 5D mkII? if so, how do you check which version you have and how do you update it?

Yes, you can check which firmware you have very easily - it's at the bottom of the third 'settings' menu screen (settings being the menus with the spanner icon if you know what I mean)

Most recent firmware for the 5D MkII is here, along with all manuals and other software relevant to this camera. Make sure you select the correct operating system if you are downloading EOS Utility, Digital Photo Professional or Zoombrowser EX. Both Win7 and Win7 X64 are listed.

Updating is fairly straightforward but read the instructions first. Basically you download the firmware file, copy it to a CF card, insert in the camera and run the update from the cameras menu. Make sure your battery is fully charged first and don't touch any camera controls until the update is finished.

Advertisement