Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Micro SD cards (32 GB)

Options
  • 20-04-2010 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi - any of you guys keeping a track on when the 32 GB Micro SD cards (or Micro SD 2.0 / SDHC / SDXC or whatever) are coming out?

I googled it, but mostly what I find is Sandisk or Samsung announcements from last year or early this year. No product for sale.

Without these cards, phones like the Nexus One or HTC desire don't have a direct equivalent of the 32 GB iPhone. 30 gigs will hold the guts of my MP3 collection...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Here.

Fairly expensive though and really slow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

Here.

Fairly expensive though and really slow too.

Regarding the slowness - is it likely to effect you when you are using the phone or only when you are copying large files from your PC?

FYI lads, nobody has these cards in stock at the sites you guys list.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 self_sentered

Regarding the slowness - is it likely to effect you when you are using the phone or only when you are copying large files from your PC?

If you use an android phone then yeah you'll notice the difference between a class-2 card and a class-6 as all the big apps install larger files onto the SD card. So in theory they'll load faster with a 6Mb/sec class-6 card than with the 2Mb/sec one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Try here http://www.lowpricememory.co.uk/sdhc-memory-cards.html
    I bought memory sticks from them before and have had no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

If you use an android phone then yeah you'll notice the difference between a class-2 card and a class-6 as all the big apps install larger files onto the SD card. So in theory they'll load faster with a 6Mb/sec class-6 card than with the 2Mb/sec one.

Got a reference for this? Or what apps did you notice this on? Nobody on XDA has noticed any slowdown using SD apps on class 2 on the latest Android phone (HTC Desire). In fact it ships with a 4gb class 2 card. It's also been noted that the phone seems limited to a transfer speed of about 8mb/sec from card regardless of class. but with class 6 being almost double the price, I don't think its a good deal for most people. I think the fact the latest android phones ship with class 2 says alot.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=658269&highlight=class

• Registered Users Posts: 47 self_sentered

100gSoma wrote: »
    Got a reference for this? Or what apps did you notice this on? Nobody on XDA has noticed any slowdown using SD apps on class 2 on the latest Android phone (HTC Desire). In fact it ships with a 4gb class 2 card. It's also been noted that the phone seems limited to a transfer speed of about 8mb/sec from card regardless of class. but with class 6 being almost double the price, I don't think its a good deal for most people. I think the fact the latest android phones ship with class 2 says alot.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=658269&highlight=class

I've only noticed the difference between the 2 cards on a G1 running apps from the sd card. I assumed there would be a similar slow down on the Desire. Good to know there isn't. I wasn't looking forward to buying a larger class-6 card.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I think I'll wait til there's a class 4 available. Will probably be using the Desire to watch tv shows and the odd film on. Class 2 would probably drive me mental when transferring them.

I am not sure anyone understands the question :)

There are no 32 GB micro SD cards in stock on the market - you typically need a micro SD card for your mobile phone. SD is not micro SD.

The cards have been announced by manufacturers a long time ago but they are not shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

I am not sure anyone understands the question :)

There are no 32 GB micro SD cards in stock on the market - you typically need a micro SD card for your mobile phone. SD is not micro SD.

The cards have been announced by manufacturers a long time ago but they are not shipping.

They have been available on sandisk.co.uk since 23rd March. I have mine since 8th April. It is not slow at all when transferring data in usb mode. Do not notice any speed differences compared to a 16gb class 4.

• Advertisement

flodis79 wrote: »
    They have been available on sandisk.co.uk since 23rd March. I have mine since 8th April. It is not slow at all when transferring data in usb mode. Do not notice any speed differences compared to a 16gb class 4.

They cost a lot (3X a 16 GB card) if you buy a 32GB from Sandisk.

Advertisement