Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats in your tool box

Options
  • 20-04-2010 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

As the title says whats in your box/shed,
    i have a new wooden shed curiously devoid of tools and am looking for recommendations as to what i should get.
    my first project is going to be to get some mdf up on the inside of the shed and build some shelves or cabinets so tools that i will need for that kind of job first.
    personal recommendations for tools websites even decent diy books that people have picked up over the years are what i am looking for.
    i have gaffer tape and wd40 so far apparently you can do most jobs with just that.

massive tool / father ted references welcome.:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

jigsaw and cordless drill for starters. buy a decent brand if you can its worth it. if u plan on doing a lot of straight cutting a circular saw may be a good investment also. basic hand tools a set of screwdrivers, hammer, level, handsaw, pliers. the sky is the limit really and all depends on what you are planning on doin etc but that would be a good start i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jackreacher

Thanks maz can you recommend me a good brand and give me an idea of what kind of volt I need,drill cordless or mains, is there any good tool retailers online or am I better off with a bricks and mortar retailer. Ballpark figure for any of this would be a help too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

b&q had great deals on a dewalt drill over christmas. no idea what they have now but worth checking.

other ideas:
    measuring tape
    a minimum of one vise grip
    a decent bench vice
    4" angle grinder
    bench grinder
    more pistol grip clamps than you can imagine using. then 5 more
    ratchet and sockets
    set of files
    rotary wire brushes
    belt sander
    snips/phase tester/multimeter will see you through a LOT of electrical work

I say call to a local shop once a week and buy a toy. tools are always great to have and dont exactly go off if not used for a month

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

I've found that any of the Magnusson B&Q branded stuff is decent, Aldi tools aren't terrible for the price of them.
    Stick to decent well known brand names for power tools and that doesn't mean Black and Decker :D.
    Bosch are always a good bet even though I don't like their cordless drills, I imagine a 230V Bosch sds Hammer drill with chisel function would be a great all rounder and not too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Quick tip don't use MDF for shelving or pannelling, it gets damp and starts to droop and warp.
    Ply is much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

since i bought my own house my tool kit has expanded rapidly.

i think for the good basics that double up well for car maintance too

hammer
    Stanley dyna screwdiver (yellow and black with interchangable bits)
    handsaw
    socket set
    assorted insulating tape
    assorted fixings (rawlplugs screws nails)
    duct tape
    wd40
    A good multi tool like leatherman charge( this has paid for its self many a time)
    silicone with gun
    phase tester
    set of alan keys
    cable ties
    work gloves ( i have a let of leather mechanic gloves. stops splinters and skint knucles)
    dust masks
    a set of saefty goggles
    small spirit level
    carpenters pencil
    chalked string line
    handy clamps
    small first aid kit ( ha ha this is more useful than you think)
    spray can ( line marker paint)
    a box of pollyfilla
    assorted sandpaper
    a needle nose pliers with wire stripper
    drill
    jigsaw
    good set of bits including masonry and wood and steel
    a rag
    measuring tape 6+ metres

thats all i can think of off the top of my head i will up date it again but i think this is the stuff i use most frequently.
    none of this is top notch gear but as another poster said middle of the range magnuson stuff is actually ok quality. if you were going pro i would get the professional stuff but if you going to be hanging the od picture and stuff like that tere is no need to spend mega money on it. you will find however it will take years to stock up a good tool kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jackreacher

great ideas all, i know its going to be built up over time so i dont mind picking up stuff once a week or twice a month. are there any good online tool shops that people would recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

Don't forget to make the shed secure. A good strong door and lock is essential. A lockable tool chest is ideal for the power tools inside. It takes years to build up a good tool collection only takes a theif a few minutes to empty it.

Not to mention the cost of trying to replace the tools again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

great ideas all, i know its going to be built up over time so i dont mind picking up stuff once a week or twice a month. are there any good online tool shops that people would recommend

keep an eye on ibood.com they do great deals now and again. I got a big rolling tool chest off them with a huge socket set, pliers's hammers snips screwdrivers etc. lots of decent quality hand tools delivered to me for about 75e

also lidl powertools are a good tightrope act between cost and quality

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

axminster.co.uk is a good place to get tools etc. dewalt might be a bit too much for what you want maybe makita or similar maybe good for the cordless would suggest at least 14.4v and get at least 2 batteries. axminster sometimes do package deals of tool kits or cordless kits so keep an eye out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

axminster.co.uk is a good place to get tools etc. dewalt might be a bit too much for what you want maybe makita or similar maybe good for the cordless would suggest at least 14.4v and get at least 2 batteries. axminster sometimes do package deals of tool kits or cordless kits so keep an eye out

Why would dewalt be too much? as in price you are on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Good list Martron!

Just to add I have a Rhobi One cordless drill. I can buy addons that all use the same batteries which I find realy useful. I started with a drill but soon needed a sander, circular saw etc,etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

As the title says whats in your box/shed,
    i have a new wooden shed curiously devoid of tools and am looking for recommendations as to what i should get.
    my first project is going to be to get some mdf up on the inside of the shed and build some shelves or cabinets so tools that i will need for that kind of job first.
    personal recommendations for tools websites even decent diy books that people have picked up over the years are what i am looking for.
    i have gaffer tape and wd40 so far apparently you can do most jobs with just that.

massive tool / father ted references welcome.:cool:

Consider an approach that sees you buying tools as you find you develop a need for them (or a recurring need in the case of more expensive tools). Which would mean that rather than running out to buy a circular saw just because you plan to put up shelves, you buy a handsaw and use this first job to learn how to use it well (as with all tools, there is a lot to learn about using them well). As your skills improve and you find cutting-up-sheet-material-jobs occur a number of times a year, then consider a decent diy grade circular saw.

The trick is to strike a balance: to avoid becoming a tool junkie with a shed full of barely used/never used/novelty tools no serious diyer would countenance buying. But to avoid also, buying so infrequently that you need to open paint tins with the tip of your tape measure.

Medium quality is sufficient for nigh on all diy use. It's only when you get very serious it is necessary to move beyond that - and then only for the occasional item. Avoid crap though..

-

One item I've found invaluable is a Black and Decker workmate. That and a couple of adjustable g-clamps (fast acting with a largish eg: 8" span) will permit you to begin clamping material in place so as to cut it and work with it in comfort and safety.

Another must is a decent battery drill/screwdriver. I'd go Ryobi at minimum if you're not sure of your diy future but want something that will last in case it's a future you in fact have. And Makita/Hitachi/DeWalt if you're well off and thinking long term already. Make sure it's got a hammer-action option. 18v is fine.

If you start to build up a selection of tools you'll find that one toolbox isn't anywhere near enough. But that's not to say it isn't worth buying a suitable toolbox which, when you've progressed a bit can carry most of the tools you need for most jobs around the house. For this purpose I've a Curver toolbox (Woodies, inexpensive). It's about 500mmx300mx250mm with a tool tray and a couple of (overly brittle) multi-compartment trays which slot into the lid for odds and sods. The clasps are robust, it's easily strong enough to stand on and everything I need for the majority of around-the-house-jobs (excluding power tools) fits in it. Cavernous tools boxes on wheels are fine but the first thing to consider is an all-rounder that can be picked up, trun in the boot so that you can pop over to your ma's to fix a leaking tap.

The 'umble 'ammer is an oft overlooked bit of kit; it see's a tremendous amount of use yet seldom is much thought is put into buying one. But were to use a top grade hammer for an hour only to switch back to a bog standard one, the difference would be most ... er.. striking. A good hammer has a certain balance which makes your aim surer and your striking far more powerful - well worth the investment.

As for safety? It's something you're going to have to come to terms with as injury is certain to occur. I'd avoid the more dangerous powertools like circular saws or angle grinders and routers until such time as you get a feel for working with materials and the difficulties that can arise. And I'd invest in a bit of safety equipment: goggles/earmuffs/gloves ... and get into the habit of using them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I use amazon for some of my tools ,b&q magnusson stuff is good aswell like was mentioned.

I'm a plumber by trade ,so most of my tools are expensive. I find b&q good quality for the price you pay.
    Bought a magnusson pump pliers 10" last week for €15 ,it's identical to the rothenberger that is almost €50.
    magnusson-water-pump-pliers-tp_7232549117294963386.png

Amazon sell tools that are not available here and come in handy.
    I bought this adjustable spanner that fits a wide range of sizes ,very hard to find anything like it here.
    It fits nut sizes over 1" ,which you usually have to buy a spanner for €60 or more to fit.
    315WV6RAA4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Linky

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the best thing i ever bought was a black and decker cordless electric screwdriver. you only need to charge it about once a year - which comes in brilliant when you pull out the drill and both bloody batteries are flat:rolleyes: this happens to me about once a week. the batteries dont charge for some reason:rolleyes:

i suppose it depends on what type of DIY you will be doing

my tool box in the house the following:-

pencils, pens

measuring tape

electric screwdriver

drill ryboi 24 volt hammer head

2 re-chargable drill battteries

drill charger

about 200 drill bits

2 hammers, one good, one crap

facemask

googles

pliers

scissor

insulation tape

masting tape

paint scraper

squigy

woolly hat

loads of different types of screws, nails, panel pins and rawl plugs

twine

grout and seal

no nail

bathroom sealant

wood glue

superglue

wd40

random pieces of wire , plugs and fuses

work gloves

the tool boxes in the shed have the following

box 1

about 9 different sized paint brushes

6 paint rollers

6 shirting rollers

4 paint scrappers

spray paint

poly filler

disposable gloves

box 2

large number of screwdrivers

large number of spanners

chisle

lump hammer

hammer

measuring tape

box 3

i really cant remember

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i also have

a black n decker sander

laser spirit level

axe

pick axe

jigsaw

i use everything at least once a month except for the sander, which is kinda ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

A timber garden shed is no place to store any power tools. The humidity will ruin the electrics, and you cannot really secure a barna shed. If your going to be ripping any sheet material, you should consider making a few sturdy stools as one of your earlier DIY projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭ray o

All of the above and the following

Tec7....expensive by extreemly versitlie and easily reused within reason.

Expanding Foam....I only say this if your gonna buy a trade can and use a proper trade gun/nozzle. This type of canister can be reused over and over again unlike the ****e they sell with the plasitc nozzles.

Hitachi/DeWalt/Makita Cordless SDS drill with chisel function. One of these will set you back anywhere between 350 & 700 euro depending on power and spec. They are invaluable to any serious DIY enthusiast.

+1 for axminster but also tooled-up.com. I got a great deal and service from tooled-up on one of the above last year (Hitatchi)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

D1gger wrote: »
    All of the above and the following

Tec7....expensive by extreemly versitlie and easily reused within reason.

Expanding Foam....I only say this if your gonna buy a trade can and use a proper trade gun/nozzle. This type of canister can be reused over and over again unlike the ****e they sell with the plasitc nozzles.

Hitachi/DeWalt/Makita Cordless SDS drill with chisel function. One of these will set you back anywhere between 350 & 700 euro depending on power and spec. They are invaluable to any serious DIY enthusiast.

+1 for axminster but also tooled-up.com. I got a great deal and service from tooled-up on one of the above last year (Hitatchi)

Tec7 is the business! gets ya out of a hole when your stuck in one!

ill agree with the cordless SDS, would love one, maybe a hilti but there dear, 350-170(what i paid for mine)= alot of euros to buy extension leads! i just bought a Mikita hr2470T from axminister(still on the fence about them, long story) price was cheap, worked out about euro170.

i have alot of stanley tools, level, hammer, knife, dry wall saw(worth its weigh in gold) then the basics, screw drives, vice grips, knips, ect. The best investment a Mikita BHP452ZW it has a hammer function, but i never use it, i dont belive dril drivers with hammers are any use, if you want to drill concret get a corded drill, you'll be quicker in the long run unless you have a SDS cordless! then boxes of rawl plugs (Red and Brown ones) and boxes of spax screws, none of them b&q "screws", the heads turn to dust and if screwing in to old timber usual shear!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭ray o

I forgot about the spax screws! Well worth the money.

• Advertisement

i generally find the " fixings" you get with anything home assembled are not worth a sh1te so invest in a small medium and large lenght screw. saves a lot of frustration in the long run

HighlyCooL wrote: »
    Tec7 is the business! gets ya out of a hole when your stuck in one!

would it not do the opposite? stick you in a hole when you are out of one? :D

ever try fixing a plastic socket box to a wall were you cant get a fixing and every thing behind it is turning to dust! couple of dots of Tec7 and bam its sorted for life!

one of my mates is a plumber, he was on a job once refitting a bath room, the cistren had come away from the wall and who ever fixed it just pumped a tube of Tec7 on to the wall and planted the cistren back on the toilet! my mate was a bit pissed off when he had to get the kango out and start braking the back of the cistern and the tec7 off the plaster behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Have the following
    Hand Tools
    Hammer
    Lump Hammer
    Sledge Hammer
    Cold Chisel
    Set of wood chisels & Oilstone
    Range of Screwdrivers (Wiha brand) they're not cheap but if you are doing electrical work they're the safest, insulated to 1000V
    Snips, long nose pliers & Large pliers (Knipex) again, not cheap but worth it when it comes to electrical safety
    Wonderbar
    Square
    pencils
    3 Handsaws, 1 rough, 1 fine, 1 tenon saw
    Chalk line
    Spirit level
    Stanley Knife & lots of blades
    Knee pads
    3 Clamps
    Folding Workbench (homebase, cheap as chips but does the job)
    Steps
    Step Ladder
    Paint Brushes & Roller
    Silicon Gun (decent one, not that homebase crap)
    Pad Saw (Plasterboard Saw) - invaluable
    Drill bits
    Countersink head
    2 x Adjustable Wrench
    Plastering trowel & Hawk
    Float
    Tin Snips
    Hacksaw
    ABC SPAX Screws
    Red & Brown wall plugs
    Slilcone, Decorators Caulk, Tec 7, Gripfill
    Ear defenders - An absolute must!!!

Power Tools
    Mini handheld screw driver. (suprisingly useful
    Jig Saw & Blades
    2 Cordless Drills
    Hammer Action electric Drill for drilling and chasing
    Circular Saw
    Belt Sander
    Orbital Sander
    Router
    Sliding Compound Mitre Saw (what a machine!!)
    Electric Planer
    Power Washer
    Heat Gun

I know I have more, but I can't think of them at the minute

In terms of brands, All my tools are either Draper, Worx, Challenge Extreme (Argos) or Powerbase Extreme (Homebase). (Argos or Homebase) I use them quite a bit and for what they cost, they are definitely worth the money. It would be nice though if I could get a second battery for my cordless drill though. For example, I bought this from Argos and I've already done more work with it than I would have thought. If I was to hire one for the same jobs, I would have paid more for that than the drill. If it breaks, its under warranty, and if its outside of warranty, then its not like its overly expensive to replace.

My belt sander is from Lidl, and is better than anything I've used before, including Makita Belt Sanders. The dust bag is brilliant and catches most of the dirt, I've never known anything like it. It also comes with an attachment that I can clamp it to the bench and use it as a table sander.

As an example of the quality of them, I've just finished replacing my kitchen and moving it from one side of the room to the other using all of the above. None of them broke down once.

P.S, I will also add that I have been building this up for 5 years, buying a tool here and there over time. I still add to it, but I can't think of anything pressing that I need to get now though. I have most things.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waffle

Hi,
    Noticed alot of people have jigsaws. Does anyone else find them total sh$t for anything except the roughest of cuts?
    I recently laid decking and I found it extremely hard to keep the cut clean and straight, especially the 2-inch joist timber. The brand is Makita and was not particularly cheap. (Ended up renting a mitre saw)

Although it was useful for cutting laminate flooring, where the cuts were hidden by edging anyway.

Rather than a jigsaw, I'd spend a bit on a decent circular saw - useful for wood, laminate, tiles.

i have a jigsaw, the only thing i have ever used it for is cutting holes in things, like work tops for sinks and thats about it. i think there a pain in the swiss, cutting boards, chop saw, or the tried and tested normal saw!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Some great posts there.

Just to add my bit. I would definately recommend a DIY book. The one i have has never sent me wrong and it will also tell you what tools you need.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/You-Can-Step-Step-Improvement/dp/0500511365

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Loads of cheap and special offer Lidl tool sets.:D

They take some abuse too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

This is a Diy'ers must have ,for lifting tiles up ,floorboards etc.

Utility / mini crow bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    This is a Diy'ers must have ,for lifting tiles up ,floorboards etc.

Utility / mini crow bar

AKA - Stanley Wonder bar. Best invention ever - One of my most used tools. Takes a helluva lot of abuse and does a lot of work.
    Waffle wrote: »
    Hi,
    Noticed alot of people have jigsaws. Does anyone else find them total sh$t for anything except the roughest of cuts?
    I recently laid decking and I found it extremely hard to keep the cut clean and straight, especially the 2-inch joist timber. The brand is Makita and was not particularly cheap. (Ended up renting a mitre saw)

Although it was useful for cutting laminate flooring, where the cuts were hidden by edging anyway.

Rather than a jigsaw, I'd spend a bit on a decent circular saw - useful for wood, laminate, tiles.

Jigsaws are crap unless you're cutting something that can't be seen like laminate edges and sink cutouts in worktops. The blade wobbles about under the timber you're cutting. Laminate flooring chews up and spits out blades. I think I used four on a 14 square meter floor. That said, better some cheap jigsaw blades than a blade for a Mitre saw. Can't beat a sliding mitre saw.
    Personally I wouldn't have touched decking with a Jigsaw.

Advertisement