Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuzlocke Challenge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Thomas-G wrote: »
    I also used the Headbutt tutor to teach to anyone who'd listen, really nice move on there levels :D

Mmm, the Headbutt tutor is really invaluable at lower levels, since so many Pokémon can learn it where it can replace a much worse move like Tackle, Quick Attack etc.

High base power and the 30% flinch chance also help it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

i stuck headbutt on my kangashan. Fake out with causes them to flinch and skip their turn in the first battle phase, followed by headbutt packs quite a punch on your opponents

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭spookymuffin

Thomas-G wrote: »
    A bigger part of the challenge is having to deal with what you're given though :) Plus if Budew (Or Roserade by then) bites the bullet against say CANDICE you're all outta luck.

Well, my Budew is having a hard time with the trainers in the Hearthome Gym so I'm going to try and level Gong the Bronzor up a little bit before taking on Fantina.
    I still haven't seen any Pokemon in the grass on route 208 so I'm going to head out there and see if I can catch something decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I can see why you'd keep a graveyard, but they can be awfully tempting... Your 'mons sacrifices are more meaningful if there's no way back and all that's left of them is some bad poetry you wrote about them on a message board! Also, you can introduce the variant rule where if you release a Mon on death and it comes back to you (which apparently happens sometimes) this gives you the option of catching a ghost-type 'mon in addition to your one-per-route limit to represent that 'mons spirit :) It's critical that you quit the game when you lose your last 'mon though. The challenge works by raising the stakes of every single fight. If you can lose your last 'mon and keep playing, you still have the training wheels on.

"normal" mode just doesn't work for me any more after this. There's no challenge in walking into a gym with a tailor made team and crushing all that dare stand before me. I keep thinking of brave little Nessa squaring up to a Geodude that knew rock throw. I keep thinking of the Valley Windworks. I keep thinking of Mars. The 'Mon are gone. But in a strange way they're more alive than anything on my Soul Silver cart. So I've gone back to Platinum :
    Furious : Level 14 Monferno (Deceased, starter)
    Boof : Level 7 Bidoof (Deceased, route 201)
    Jackson : Level 16 Luxio (Route 202)
    Keisha : Level 15 Staravia (route 203)
    Keiko : Level 15 Psyduck (Oreburgh Gate)
    Chyna : Level 17 Machop (Route 207)
    Mina : Level 9 Zubat (Ravaged Path)
    Stummie : Level 11 Shellos (Valley Windworks)
    Copperhead : Level 4 Magikarp (Twinleaf fishing hole)

Currently at Floaroma again, growing a few Oran (or as I like to call them "Justice Berries") before I go to face Mars again. A couple of missed opportunities - an Onix down the mines and a Budew on route 204 - which hurt a lot, since there's a lot of water-based pokemon between me and the end of the game. I lost my starter to Roark - he took the Cranidos down to a bare sliver of HP before being stomped flat. Boof on the other hand met an unfortunate end during training - for the love of the Pokégod (which I guess is Arceus) when you're training without an EXP Share don't forget that level 10-ish Floatzels know Pursuit...

Good to see you back at it, Banjo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Banjo wrote: »
    I can see why you'd keep a graveyard, but they can be awfully tempting... Your 'mons sacrifices are more meaningful if there's no way back and all that's left of them is some bad poetry you wrote about them on a message board! Also, you can introduce the variant rule where if you release a Mon on death and it comes back to you (which apparently happens sometimes) this gives you the option of catching a ghost-type 'mon in addition to your one-per-route limit to represent that 'mons spirit :)It's critical that you quit the game when you lose your last 'mon though. The challenge works by raising the stakes of every single fight. If you can lose your last 'mon and keep playing, you still have the training wheels on.

"normal" mode just doesn't work for me any more after this. There's no challenge in walking into a gym with a tailor made team and crushing all that dare stand before me. I keep thinking of brave little Nessa squaring up to a Geodude that knew rock throw. I keep thinking of the Valley Windworks. I keep thinking of Mars. The 'Mon are gone. But in a strange way they're more alive than anything on my Soul Silver cart. So I've gone back to Platinum :
    Furious : Level 14 Monferno (Deceased, starter)
    Boof : Level 7 Bidoof (Deceased, route 201)
    Jackson : Level 16 Luxio (Route 202)
    Keisha : Level 15 Staravia (route 203)
    Keiko : Level 15 Psyduck (Oreburgh Gate)
    Chyna : Level 17 Machop (Route 207)
    Mina : Level 9 Zubat (Ravaged Path)
    Stummie : Level 11 Shellos (Valley Windworks)
    Copperhead : Level 4 Magikarp (Twinleaf fishing hole)

Currently at Floaroma again, growing a few Oran (or as I like to call them "Justice Berries") before I go to face Mars again. A couple of missed opportunities - an Onix down the mines and a Budew on route 204 - which hurt a lot, since there's a lot of water-based pokemon between me and the end of the game. I lost my starter to Roark - he took the Cranidos down to a bare sliver of HP before being stomped flat. Boof on the other hand met an unfortunate end during training - for the love of the Pokégod (which I guess is Arceus) when you're training without an EXP Share don't forget that level 10-ish Floatzels know Pursuit...
    Nah, they're only there as a memory and it's a good way to refer back if I (god forbid) decide to do a comic. I actually don't think I could start using them again, it wouldn't be Nuzlockeing at all then.
    I don't really see it that way, I guess I'll brood on this if Arceus forbid it happens (which is all to possible). I have no problem training up pokemon, it's the thought of having to sit through all those tutorials again that puts me off. In any case, I have about a rattata and an onix that can rise to the challenge.
    Poison is my Achilles Heal, I've been limiting the amount of antidote I've been carrying to increase the challenge I it seems I run out at the worst moments. I realised earlier now that I've reached Goldenrod, I have the Dept. Store at my disposal :) I spent all my money on the lotto upstaurs and it paid off, as I got the TM for Shadow Claw, which should boost up Totodile when I reach Morty. I was horribly tempted to trade Drowsee with the guy in the store for his machop, but it wouldn't feel right. Beside, he's kicking all sorts of ass!

Mars has fallen. It took a day of grinding Mina and Stummie up to about L14 but it was worth it to see how Chyna tore that Purugly a new one, Low Kick stylee.
    Huzzah!

Alas, in my rush to the woods I encountered a trainer with a Ponyta that trampled Mina into the dust with a one hit critical kill. At least she didn't feel it. But what a waste of all that grinding.

Managed to creep through the canyon north to the woods without a single encounter. Twice. It's time to grind my Magikarp up to 20 using that helpful chick with the Chansey. This time tomorrow Copperhead should be a killer mouth with a long stretchy ass.

I managed to catch a Ralts on route 208 and named him Bridget. So at this stage my team consisted of:

• Thorn the Budew. Level 33
    • Gong the Bronzor. Level 20
    • Bridget the Ralts. Level 18
    I spent a while grinding Bridget and Gong up to level 24, figured that they were plenty strong enough and headed off to take the Hearthome gym challenge. Not the best idea I've ever had, let me tell you :pac:

I can't really remember the exact details (it was late and I'm dying of a cold at the moment so my head's a bit muggy) but Bridget died in a fight against one of the gym trainers. It was my own fault really, all these years I was under the illusion that ghost pokemon were weak to the psychic type but I guess that I had based that presumption on damage I had dealt to the ghost/poison Gastly family.
    Poor Bridget was at a type disadvantage but I thought he could handle it. I was wrong :(
    Gong died against Fantina, it was a critical hit. I sent Thorn out and she finished the job nicely.

It was just me and Thorn again when we headed out onto route 209. I was looking forward to catching a new team member but Thorn killed the first thing we came across.
    I wasn't really worried about the trainer battles, Thorn was chugging along at 50% HP when we were challenged to a double battle... A double battle that had two critical hits in the first turn!
    As my character whited out I knew that that was it for the Nuzlocke challenge on my Platinum.

I have everyone who died in a graveyard on the PC, I'm thinking of trading them over onto my main game (Soul Silver). It would be nice to have them there as a reminder :(

I wanted to start a new Nuzlocke Challenge but I wasn't in the mood to replay the start of Platinum so soon and I felt kind of the same about playing the challenge on my Heart Gold.
    Then I had an idea to do a little rom hacking on one of my Heart Gold games. I figured that I could make it so the game could be a little more fun to Nuzlocke on, by increasing the variety of pokemon (and therefore lowering repeats) and by upping the difficulty to compensate.

I've modified what pokemon can be encountered in each route/area and I'm working on making the gym leaders (all will have teams of 6) and trainers (most are getting a level boost) harder.
    I made it so the first few routes now contain pidgey, ratatta, sentret, hoothoot (at night), zigzagoon, poochyena, taillow, starly, bidoof, shinx and a few others rather than just the first four pokemon on that list.
    I've done the same for each route, choosing pokemon that would appear at similar stages of the game from all four generations as well as a few judgment calls. I've pretty much overhauled every cave so that they have more than just geodude and zubat in them now.

I did some testing this morning and so far my team consists of:

• Petunia the female Chikorita. Level 9. (My starter)
    • Caramel the female Buneary. Level 6. (Caught on Route 31)
    • Fwoggie the female Croagunk. Level 5. (Caught in Dark Cave)
    • Mink the female Sentret. Level 9. (Caught on Route 29)
    • Petal the female Budew. level 8. (Caught on Route 30)
    I'm making sure that every one is beefed up enough before facing Falkner who in addition to his original Pidgey (lvl 9) and Pidgeotto (lvl 13) will now also have a Hoothoot (lvl 9), Swablu (lvl 10), Spearow (lvl 7)and Taillow(lvl 8).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I started this in my Pearl version. Walked downstairs and talked to my mother. I find it really funny that she doesn't have a room in the house BECAUSE SHE BELONGS IN THE KITCHEN :pac:. Met my annoying rival, went into some grass and a few birds attacked. Chose Mcfly the Piplup as my starter. I met Dawn and went to Sandgem Town, on the way I fought a Bidoof. Without pokeballs I couldn't catch him so that area was now out of bounds. Talked to the very strange Prof. and he let me keep Mcfly. On the way to Jubilife City that stupid bitch Dawn taught me how to catch 'mon even though I already knew how and with that, the area was now out of bounds. Immediately went past Jubilife and caught Doc Brown the Bidoof. Walked out onto a route and my annoying rival came back. I honestly thought that it was the end of my journey because Doc Brown had trouble and I had to switch to Mcfly. Luckily I got through it and went on. Met GreatScott and then Delorean when I went into the cave. That's it so far.

My team:

- Mcfly, level 11 Piplup
    - Doc Brown, level 7 Bidoof
    - GreatScott, level 7 Shinx
    - Delorean, level 8 Geodude

Really surprised how much this makes you care about the 'mon. Don't know if I will keep Delorean but I've never trained a 'dude so I'm intrigued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd have thought that a Bidoof would make a better Biff... :pac:

• Advertisement

Remember, Dawn encountered that Bidoof, not you. You were not in control, she did the fighting and catching. You're being too hard on yourself. Also, there's no shame in only starting the first encounter rule after you can buy pokeballs, it's tough enough getting your misfit squad through the first gym without culling the numbers needlessly like this.
    Although it's probably too late now...

Geodudes are pretty cool once they get magnitude and can start doing a bit of damage. Easy to train under most circumstances if you avoid water and grass (types that is, not the terrain. That would be silly...) Worst comes to worst you can load them up with HMs (rock smash, climb and strenght, if memory serves) and leave them with Magnitude, then Earthquake to defend themselves with.

Sad to hear your Plat run is over, Spooky. I only figured out the poison connection with Ghosts and Psychic a couple of weeks ago when training my Togepi up in Soul Silver to take on Morty. Good thing for him it's not a Nuzlock run, that's all I'm saying.

Not making much progress in Plat myself. My honey trap in Floaroma yielded a male Combee. Oh joy. I've been grinding my Magikarp, currently at 15 with everyone else on 18-20 barring the Combee and I've got the forest and the route leading to it open for a catch. Fingers crossed for... um.... come to think of it there's not much good in there. Maybe if I can catch a haunter in the woods I can use repels in the house and catch the Rotom?

Edit : God I love this. Lv16 MAgikarp w/ full health and a Chansey backup against an L10 Buneary and an L10 Budew. I figured he could probably weather the fight instead of swapping out for a mon who could fight back and let the chansey do the work. Then the Buneary hits him with frustration, takes him from full to about 1/4 hp. Copperhead (the 'karp) throws a tackle at the budew, does minimal damage, gets poisoned. Then it's the Budew's turn and I swear time slowed down - if he decided to Absorb on Copperhead, it was all over and I'd pissed yesterday away trying to grind him to 20. I think I felt my heart stop.

The Budew went with growth, in the end. It wasn't the happiest moment in my life but it was like that feeling you get about halfway through <a word that isn't suitable for a family forum>, a combination of serene grace and relief.
    Nintendo *so* have to introduce a grown-up mode in Gen five. On top of "Are you a boy or a girl?" and "What is your rivals name", professor <tree> needs to ask "And tell me, <name>, what age are you?" <Over 18> "Ok, listen up mary, you get one shot at this, just one. Now listen close..."

Teferi wrote: »
    I started this in my Pearl version. Walked downstairs and talked to my mother. I find it really funny that she doesn't have a room in the house BECAUSE SHE BELONGS IN THE KITCHEN :pac:. Met my annoying rival, went into some grass and a few birds attacked. Chose Mcfly the Piplup as my starter. I met Dawn and went to Sandgem Town, on the way I fought a Bidoof. Without pokeballs I couldn't catch him so that area was now out of bounds. Talked to the very strange Prof. and he let me keep Mcfly. On the way to Jubilife City that stupid bitch Dawn taught me how to catch 'mon even though I already knew how and with that, the area was now out of bounds. Immediately went past Jubilife and caught Doc Brown the Bidoof. Walked out onto a route and my annoying rival came back. I honestly thought that it was the end of my journey because Doc Brown had trouble and I had to switch to Mcfly. Luckily I got through it and went on. Met GreatScott and then Delorean when I went into the cave. That's it so far.

My team:

- Mcfly, level 11 Piplup
    - Doc Brown, level 7 Bidoof
    - GreatScott, level 7 Shinx
    - Delorean, level 8 Geodude

Really surprised how much this makes you care about the 'mon. Don't know if I will keep Delorean but I've never trained a 'dude so I'm intrigued.
    Googd to see someone else join the challenge!
    I managed to catch a Ralts on route 208 and named him Bridget. So at this stage my team consisted of:

• Thorn the Budew. Level 33
    • Gong the Bronzor. Level 20
    • Bridget the Ralts. Level 18
    I spent a while grinding Bridget and Gong up to level 24, figured that they were plenty strong enough and headed off to take the Hearthome gym challenge. Not the best idea I've ever had, let me tell you :pac:

I can't really remember the exact details (it was late and I'm dying of a cold at the moment so my head's a bit muggy) but Bridget died in a fight against one of the gym trainers. It was my own fault really, all these years I was under the illusion that ghost pokemon were weak to the psychic type but I guess that I had based that presumption on damage I had dealt to the ghost/poison Gastly family.
    Poor Bridget was at a type disadvantage but I thought he could handle it. I was wrong :(
    Gong died against Fantina, it was a critical hit. I sent Thorn out and she finished the job nicely.

It was just me and Thorn again when we headed out onto route 209. I was looking forward to catching a new team member but Thorn killed the first thing we came across.
    I wasn't really worried about the trainer battles, Thorn was chugging along at 50% HP when we were challenged to a double battle... A double battle that had two critical hits in the first turn!
    As my character whited out I knew that that was it for the Nuzlocke challenge on my Platinum.

I have everyone who died in a graveyard on the PC, I'm thinking of trading them over onto my main game (Soul Silver). It would be nice to have them there as a reminder :(

I wanted to start a new Nuzlocke Challenge but I wasn't in the mood to replay the start of Platinum so soon and I felt kind of the same about playing the challenge on my Heart Gold.
    Then I had an idea to do a little rom hacking on one of my Heart Gold games. I figured that I could make it so the game could be a little more fun to Nuzlocke on, by increasing the variety of pokemon (and therefore lowering repeats) and by upping the difficulty to compensate.

I've modified what pokemon can be encountered in each route/area and I'm working on making the gym leaders (all will have teams of 6) and trainers (most are getting a level boost) harder.
    I made it so the first few routes now contain pidgey, ratatta, sentret, hoothoot (at night), zigzagoon, poochyena, taillow, starly, bidoof, shinx and a few others rather than just the first four pokemon on that list.
    I've done the same for each route, choosing pokemon that would appear at similar stages of the game from all four generations as well as a few judgment calls. I've pretty much overhauled every cave so that they have more than just geodude and zubat in them now.

I did some testing this morning and so far my team consists of:

• Petunia the female Chikorita. Level 9. (My starter)
    • Caramel the female Buneary. Level 6. (Caught on Route 31)
    • Fwoggie the female Croagunk. Level 5. (Caught in Dark Cave)
    • Mink the female Sentret. Level 9. (Caught on Route 29)
    • Petal the female Budew. level 8. (Caught on Route 30)
    I'm making sure that every one is beefed up enough before facing Falkner who in addition to his original Pidgey (lvl 9) and Pidgeotto (lvl 13) will now also have a Hoothoot (lvl 9), Swablu (lvl 10), Spearow (lvl 7)and Taillow(lvl 8).
    Sorry to hear your run is over SM :(
    Remember, Dawn encountered that Bidoof, not you. You were not in control, she did the fighting and catching. You're being too hard on yourself. Also, there's no shame in only starting the first encounter rule after you can buy pokeballs, it's tough enough getting your misfit squad through the first gym without culling the numbers needlessly like this.
    Although it's probably too late now...

Geodudes are pretty cool once they get magnitude and can start doing a bit of damage. Easy to train under most circumstances if you avoid water and grass (types that is, not the terrain. That would be silly...) Worst comes to worst you can load them up with HMs (rock smash, climb and strenght, if memory serves) and leave them with Magnitude, then Earthquake to defend themselves with.

Sad to hear your Plat run is over, Spooky. I only figured out the poison connection with Ghosts and Psychic a couple of weeks ago when training my Togepi up in Soul Silver to take on Morty. Good thing for him it's not a Nuzlock run, that's all I'm saying.

Not making much progress in Plat myself. My honey trap in Floaroma yielded a male Combee. Oh joy. I've been grinding my Magikarp, currently at 15 with everyone else on 18-20 barring the Combee and I've got the forest and the route leading to it open for a catch. Fingers crossed for... um.... come to think of it there's not much good in there. Maybe if I can catch a haunter in the woods I can use repels in the house and catch the Rotom?

Edit : God I love this. Lv16 MAgikarp w/ full health and a Chansey backup against an L10 Buneary and an L10 Budew. I figured he could probably weather the fight instead of swapping out for a mon who could fight back and let the chansey do the work. Then the Buneary hits him with frustration, takes him from full to about 1/4 hp. Copperhead (the 'karp) throws a tackle at the budew, does minimal damage, gets poisoned. Then it's the Budew's turn and I swear time slowed down - if he decided to Absorb on Copperhead, it was all over and I'd pissed yesterday away trying to grind him to 20. I think I felt my heart stop.

The Budew went with growth, in the end. It wasn't the happiest moment in my life but it was like that feeling you get about halfway through <a word that isn't suitable for a family forum>, a combination of serene grace and relief.
    Nintendo *so* have to introduce a grown-up mode in Gen five. On top of "Are you a boy or a girl?" and "What is your rivals name", professor <tree> needs to ask "And tell me, <name>, what age are you?" <Over 18> "Ok, listen up mary, you get one shot at this, just one. Now listen close..."
    I think the first tip of the Nuzlocke challenge should always be:
    If In Doubt, Switch Out
    Lots of nice stuff going on at my end, I think I'll do a comic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I booted up Yellow a couple of days ago (it's exam time, of course) and found that I was pretty much at the start of the game - Pewter City. Decided to play through and Nuzlocke it.

It's pretty tough so far. I've made it to Cerulean with only one casualty (RIP Mankey, your loss is all the more bitter for the fact that it was to a freaking Rattata :() but the gym battle is going to be pretty tough and I'll need to grind up most of my team for quite a while before tackling Misty.

My team (some don't have nicknames as I am continuing a previous save where I wasn't doing the Nuzlocke challenge):

Victor the Magikarp - lv 10
    Pikachu - lv 15
    Flint the Charmander (gotta love Yellow, having all the starters is pretty nice) - lv 14
    Pidgey - lv 13
    Nidorino - lv 17
    Butterfree - lv 15

*sigh*

Was sick of fighting Pidgey and Rattata in the grass to level up for Cerulean Gym so headed down to Vermilion to beef up some more. Thought the group of Bug Catchers just north of the city would be a good spot to train my charmander, but it was quickly poisoned. I felt a little bit sick as I realised I wouldn't be able make it back to Cerulean with 30HP and that there were at least two trainers between me and Vermilion. Pikachu had fallen asleep and was on lower-than-safe HP. Magikarp cannot battle. Pidgey is a useless level 13 piece of crap. The last battle between me and the PK centre was against a Raticate. He almost finished off Butterfree before I switched out Nidorino.

Critical hit Hyper Fang. Just like Mankey :(

Fúcking rats, keep killing my strongest pokemon :mad:

I'm not a fan but whenever I read these tales of woe I always see a montage of Pokemon sprites accompanied by the Take That song "Never Forget" - specifically the "you're not invincible" bit....

So did you make it to the center with anything left alive? You can't leave us hanging like that!

My own run is on hiatus - while grinding my Magikarp I hit some sort of wall, there was no risk and very little reward, my hands were starting to cramp from the repeated left right left right a a a , I was starting to consider compromising on rules 'cause my team was 80% water types and all that money I blew on Soul Silver was weighing heavy on my mind. So I'm back to a regular beat-the-game run and enjoying the luxury of transferring my team to Diamond for quick leveling and a TM make-over. Although I miss my Combee. He kicked a surprising amount of arse.

So did you make it to the center with anything left alive? You can't leave us hanging like that!

Yep, finished off the Raticúnt (think I used Butterfee; not quite sure, but no more casualties anyway) and made it to Vermilion.

What have I learned? Don't make plans. I had a moon stone in my bag, just waiting for Nidorino to be ready for it some glorious day. I was asking for something bad to happen :(

New team members:

Matt the Drowzee - lv 19
    Peter the Oddish (surprisingly useful, and easily trained up in Diglett cave!) - lv 20
    Samuel the Diglett - lv 20

EDIT: R.I.P Butterfree :( Victim of my ignorance. This is the worst blow yet. And it's all my fault.

Charlie the Wartortle is settling in well though.

A turbulent few days, peaking this evening with a disasterous attempt at tackling team rocket in Silph Co.

Lost Butterfree on the path between Cerulean and Rock Tunnel. I was expecting Geodude to tackle, and it used Rock Throw... I'd forgotten that that move existed.

Samuel the Diglett followed not long after, in the tunnel, victim of a cruel critical hit, just as he was settling into the team.

I made it to Lavender and - what luck - caught an Abra at level 15 (named Hiro) in the grass west of the town. After a few short hours of training in Pokemon Tower and the Saffron Fighting Dojo he's now the strongest 'mon in my team, at level 35.

In Celadon, I swept through the Gym with no problems, Flint the Charmeleon and Hiro the Kadabra sweeping through them effectively. I lovingly bestowed the prize TM - Mega Drain - upon Peter the Gloom, doubling the power of his Absorb attack and making him, with his high defence and special stats, quite formidable indeed. I also taught him cut in order to fill the gap left by Samuel.

Peter died en route to Fushcia, victim of a critical hit Selfdestructing Voltorb. I had his leafstone in my bag, waiting to turn him into a powerful Vileplume at a suitably dramatic junction. Shouldn't have waited :(

Teleporting back to Saffron, I decided to take on the challenge of Silph Co instead of travelling to Fuschia. I was feeling confident enough, with my three starters (Elle the Pikachu, Flint the Charmeleon, and Charlie the Wartortle) and Hiro the Kadabra all above level 30, my newly bestowed Hitmonchan (Edgar), and my freshly caught level 22 Doduo (named Alejandro).

I've barely had 5 battles in here and my team has been crippled. First to go was Alejandro, fighting valiantly and using his new technique Fly against a Raticate before going down. His first battle. R.I.P.

Next to go was Elle the Pikachu, whose power had increased vastly since learning Thunderbolt at level 26. Sent her out at about 3/4 health against a lv 28 Golbat. Thunderbolt reduced it to minimal HP and paralysed it. It struck back with a vicious bite, critical hitting poor Elle...
    Oh, Elle. Your refusal to accept a Thunderstone was always going to be your undoing. You could've been a bítchin' Raichu if you weren't such a sap. R.I.Pikachu :(

It got worse. Already numbed by the fall of my starter, I barely registered the death of Flint in the next battle. His pitiful Ember attack barely dented the HP of a lv 32 Hypno, who Confusioned poor Flint ruthlessly to death. Charlie the Wartortle got all up in that Hypno's shít, Ice Beaming him to death in what can only be described as a worrying example of the escalation of violence in tit-for-tat gang crime. R.I.P.

Current team:
    Hiro the Kadabra - lv 35
    Charlie the Wartortle - lv 31
    Edgar the Hitmonchan - lv 30
    Meredith the Flareon - lv 25
    D.L the Gastly - lv 20

R.I.P:
    Mankey - lv 14
    Nidorino - lv 17
    Butterfree - lv 21
    Samuel the Diglett - lv 22
    Peter the Gloom - lv 30
    Alejandro the Doduo - lv 22
    Elle the Pikachu - lv 32
    Flint the Charmeleon - lv 30

I recently purchased an xbox, so my run has been taking a break. I'm very proud of my misfit team, 6 level 24s managed to take out jasmine who had a level 35 steelix. Alas, Nidorino did not survive the fight (Couldn't get a moonstone for the life of me) but overall I think that it could have been a LOT worse. Full update in the near future.

When Black and white come out I'm planning on nuzlocking it from the start, anyone game to join? :)

I had been thinking about it. Although I might only use the fainted=dead rule the first time around, I want to be able to pick and choose from the new pokemon rather than having to go with the first pokemon in each area.

• Advertisement

I had been thinking about it. Although I might only use the fainted=dead rule the first time around, I want to be able to pick and choose from the new pokemon rather than having to go with the first pokemon in each area.
    More of the reason that I'm doing this is so I use the new pokemon. When you have a level 30 golbat in your team, training up the new gay mouse pokemon seems like a real hassle so i never change my team after the second gym. Nuzlocke will force me to use new stuff I wouldn't have otherwise. Acually, a "Gen V only" rule would be awesome! :D

The problem (for me) with a "Gen V only" rule is that I think that a lot of the new pokemon are fugly as hell! So the chances of me coming across some unsightly abomination as the first pokemon in an area is quite high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Nah I don't think I'll nuzlocke first time around. I'd want to just play through as I normally would. Might do it with the other version though. (eg if I get black, do it with white)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Wow this seems awesome :D I'll dig out my copy of Red and blast through a Nuzlocke game of that once I've finished the story in HG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Currently I'm going with releasing all fainted pokemon and catching the first pokemon encountered on a route excluding duplicates (to avoid a team of bidoofs) and allowing the purchasing of Pokeballs and free use of Pokécenters. No items is fine by me though, I never use them anyway. TMs I will be using.
    Catching of legends is permitted for trading to other games so long as the traded mon I receive is delted. Will probably deck the buggers for the XP though unless they're shineys. Only one-way Legend trading and in-game NPC trades are permitted.

I think I'll try it out with these rules when I restart platinum...seems like it would make the game much more interesting.
    Though I think I will allow the use of items, outside of battles!!... I mean that's like putting a plaster on after the fall, I think that's ok :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I found a free online version of Pokémon Yellow so I'm playing through that using the Nuzlocke rules. :D The particular rules I'm following are:
    • Only allowed catch the first pokémon encountered in each new area. If I already own the first I see I may wait until I find a pokémon I don't have yet (unless I particularly want 2 or more of the same pokémon which seems unlikely). If the pokémon dies, runs away or I run out of pokéballs, tough luck. No pokémon for that area for me!
    • Once a pokémon faints, it is considered dead and will be released. Should my starter pokémon die, it will go into a graveyard box as I don't think the game allows me to release it (correct me if I'm wrong?). It won't be used again anyway, and will be considered dead. Once I'm out of pokémon, or pokémon that can learn the HMs I need to advance through the game, it's game over.
    • I won't be restricting my use of the pokémon centre or items in any way (except revive, obviously).
    • Saving will be just for the purpose of saving the game data (i.e. No reloading if a pokémon dies or I kill a legendary by accident etc).
    Anyway I think that's everything. I shall be documenting my adventures at oeufa.blogspot.com if anyone's interested :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Think I'll do this on Blue with a no duplicates rule, but cannot catch anything else if the first to appear in that route was a duplicate.

Really hope I get lucky in the four areas of the Safari Zone. A Tauros or Kangaskhan would be nice, assuming I make it that far.

I won't use any glitches either.

I assume the challenge only starts after you can buy pokeballs?

I'm up for a Black/White nuzlocke run. Although I'm not sure I can stand to do it on a legit cart right from the word go and having to risk missing out on wifi events if the game ends... Or does that just raise the stakes? >:)

Not sure if a New 'Mon Only rule will work - we'll have to have a look nearer the time at what's available and where, if it pushes you into an unbalanced team of all-electrics or something it's going to be no fun. And the whole point is to have a fun challenge.

BTW, has anyone documented any of the areas in a given game where one can get a little creative about the One Mon Per Area rule (eg fishing or headbutting trees in towns where there's no grass)?

Also, does anyone else play the orgy rule (which I hopefully made up) where one you reach the DayCare center, each pair of breedable 'mon are allowed an r'n'r break to ride eachother till they produce a single egg (child is unusable till the same-species parent(s) dies), and the same is permittable for the survivors of your team of 6 that take on the E4 and champ? I like having a legacy, the idea of (*after* a successful run) having the son or daughter of my awesome bidoof that died nobly while taking on the regional champion running around leading another team in another region is kind of cool...

I'm up for a Black/White nuzlocke run. Although I'm not sure I can stand to do it on a legit cart right from the word go and having to risk missing out on wifi events if the game ends... Or does that just raise the stakes? >:)

Not sure if a New 'Mon Only rule will work - we'll have to have a look nearer the time at what's available and where, if it pushes you into an unbalanced team of all-electrics or something it's going to be no fun. And the whole point is to have a fun challenge.

BTW, has anyone documented any of the areas in a given game where one can get a little creative about the One Mon Per Area rule (eg fishing or headbutting trees in towns where there's no grass)?

Also, does anyone else play the orgy rule (which I hopefully made up) where one you reach the DayCare center, each pair of breedable 'mon are allowed an r'n'r break to ride eachother till they produce a single egg (child is unusable till the same-species parent(s) dies), and the same is permittable for the survivors of your team of 6 that take on the E4 and champ? I like having a legacy, the idea of (*after* a successful run) having the son or daughter of my awesome bidoof that died nobly while taking on the regional champion running around leading another team in another region is kind of cool...
    Ah well, I'll just dive in and hope for the best. I'm going to relax most of the optional rules though, since being in a new unknown region and not knowing what's coming up will be handicap enough, so it's gonna just be first pokemon in each area and deaths.
    No but it seemed like a really good idea when i started. In the map in johto you can add markers (same in sinnoh too afaik. I used a marker for each area I caught a pokemon. This was handy as I purposefully stayed away from some areas such as dark cave, as later on I could catch a wobby wobuphat there.
    When I finish my challenge (if perhaps) All my pokemon are going to graduate from death camp and become immortal. Perhaps the Hall of Fame takes DNA samples of each winner in some mad experiment to make stronger pokemon, and any time someone dies they can be cloned. Either way, the challenge ends on the credits screen. Afterwards, I shall have a ritualistic funeral and release each pokemon in the graveyeard one by one. Their soals can rest easy knowing their quest is complete. And all that jazz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Started this last night on Blue and got some very lucky first encounters.

I chose a Bulbasaur and named it MAR-VELL.

My first encounter between Pallet Town and Viridian City was a Pidgey which was caught and named PHYLA_VELL.

Here's when I started getting really lucky.

Headed west hoping for a Spearow and got a NidoranM. Caught it and named it GENIS-VELL.

Headed towards the forest and got a Rattata in the grass which I named GAMORA.

First encounter in the forest was a level five Pikachu which was caught and named WARLOCK.

Couldn't believe how lucky I got. Been levelling them up and had a few close calls when a Pidgey got a critical on some of the weaker pokemon, but so far no deaths.

Advertisement