Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nuzlocke Challenge

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Uh oh, I think it's game over already...

I was grinding my metapod and slowpoke up to level 15 before going to the Gym. When I got there, my (now) Butterfree, Saoirse, was killed by a critical hit tackle + poison from one of the bug trainers. Tearfully putting her in the Dead-box, we continued and finally got to see Bugsy. With my quilava heading the team, he sent out a Scyther first, and before I could even use ember once he OHKO-ed me. Bastard. Anyway, gastly sweeped the rest of his team and we got our badge, at a price. Problem now is I have no living pokemon who can learn cut, and no way to catch one. Unless I use one of the corpses :pac:.

*sigh* and I had such high hopes for this game too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Standard rules allow you to catch a mon or use a dead mon if you require a T/HM to proceed and don't have one you can teach it to. However they can ONLY be used for the HM and cannot take part in battles and have to be retired if you catch a mon that can learn the move. That way you never get stuck.

By rights you should only use a dead/illegal Mon to cut/push/rockclimb/surf your way past obstacles you HAVE to get past to proceed, rather than to take short cuts or get access to items. So, for example, if you don't have a flier then you better get used to walking. On the other hand, if you DO have a flier but no cutter and there's a Cut-able tree blocking the route between 2 towns you've already visited you have no valid reason for using an illegal cutter to backtrack, just fly there.

Nuzlocke runs can be cruel, but they're never unfair :)

At the end of the day though, it's your run - you can do what you like, no one's going to judge you.
    And fair play for only losing 1 mon to Bugsy - that Scyther crucified me on my HG run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Banjo wrote: »
    Standard rules allow you to catch a mon or use a dead mon if you require a T/HM to proceed and don't have one you can teach it to. However they can ONLY be used for the HM and cannot take part in battles and have to be retired if you catch a mon that can learn the move. That way you never get stuck.

By rights you should only use a dead/illegal Mon to cut/push/rockclimb/surf your way past obstacles you HAVE to get past to proceed, rather than to take short cuts or get access to items. So, for example, if you don't have a flier then you better get used to walking. On the other hand, if you DO have a flier but no cutter and there's a Cut-able tree blocking the route between 2 towns you've already visited you have no valid reason for using an illegal cutter to backtrack, just fly there.

At the end of the day though, it's your run - you can do what you like, no one's going to judge you.
    And fair play for only losing 1 mon to Bugsy - that Scyther crucified me on my HG run.
    *judges her*

Will be wiping my HG soon myself to do the run

Banjo wrote: »

I could have sworn original rules said you're supposed to release dead 'mon, not just put them in a graveyard box like I did, and if you've no way of advancing through the story with your living pokémon then it's Game Over. Sure, everyone makes their own rules for their own runs (I mean, it's a self imposed hard mode so nothing's set in stone) but it'd feel like cheating if I continued :pac:. Especially since I rage-quit after I saw I'd no-one to learn Cut so I could get through Ilex forest. My last save was before I even entered the gym for the first time, so I have living pokémon that I shouldn't.

Scyther was grand once I sent Gastly out. Ghost pokémon are the best :cool:. After electric types, obviously :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I could have sworn original rules said you're supposed to release dead 'mon, not just put them in a graveyard box like I did, and if you've no way of advancing through the story with your living pokémon then it's Game Over.

Yea, but as you say, the rules are open to interpretation, so if you want to stick with a graveyard box, so be it.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Yea, but as you say, the rules are open to interpretation, so if you want to stick with a graveyard box, so be it.

That's not the problem I have though. It just seems using the corpse of a fallen comrade to mow down trees in the forest is very very wrong :P. Plus, since I "should" have released them upon death, I wouldn't have the bodies to hand anyway.

I could rationalise it however I wanted, but continuing this run would feel like cheating to me, based on the rules on which I began my game. Though the thought of having to go through all the tedious beginning of a pokémon game again so soon is off-putting, so I probably won't start a new run for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

That's not the problem I have though. It just seems using the corpse of a fallen comrade to mow down trees in the forest is very very wrong :P.

Yea, but is it really much different to normal gameplay where you can still utilise HMs on fainted Pokémon, ignoring the obvious difference...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

If I didn't have a Cut Pokémon for the Dreamyard in my White run I was planning to catch a Patrat which was to be released as soon as I got past that bit and never used in battle.

So I've gotten back into this recently.

At last post I had lost several party members on the way through Twist Mountain but I also picked up Cube the Cubchoo along the way. I easily blasted through the ice gym using Rice, my newly captured Mienfoo, but unfortunately lost Wings the Swanna shortly afterwards to an explicable OHKO from a wild Druddigon. The curse of playing in Japanese is I have no idea what attack a Druddigon could possibly have used to take down a Swanna that was 10 levels higher than it and on full HP. Tragic because she was one of my strongest and prettiest members who also knew Surf and Fly.

I had no further losses on the way to Opelucid city, though I did make a wild Garbodor faint along the way. On the plus side, Punch the Golett and Pear the Palpitoad joined the party.

Once I reached Opelucid the Vanillite and Cubchoo I'd been holding in reserve finally came into play in preparation for the battle with Iris. Beartic is now level 53 and one of my top team members, but sadly Swirl the Vanillish got taken out by an Audino during training. I knew she was too fragile to last :( At least Beartic was able to storm the dragon gym and easily took home the Legend Badge.

So now I'm on to Victory Road and the Elite Four with a pool of 10 Pokemon to choose a team from thanks to the addition of KYLE the Rufflet. There are also several areas where I can still catch new (mostly watery) team members, though my no duplicates rule means I can only have 1 each of Basculin, Frillish and Alomomola.

The last thing I did was defeat Cheren on route 10, which was a piece of cake. I'm kinda terrified of what's coming next though..

Current team:
    Berry the Scolipede lv.45
    Candy the Lampent lv.47
    Crust the Carracosta lv.51
    Onion the Lilligant lv.48
    Cube the Beartic lv.53
    Rice the Mienshao lv.51
    Champ the Foongus lv.29
    Punch the Golett lv.32
    Pear the Palpitoad lv.30
    KYLE the Rufflet lv.34

I'll be taking on the Elite Four later on today. Even though I have more than 12 available Pokémon, I've decided I'm only going to allow myself one shot at the Elite Four, to make it more exciting. Once I've defeated/lost to them, I'll consider my Nuzlocke challenge over.

My final, all Lv.55, team is:
    KYLE the Braviary
    Onion the Lilligant
    Punch the Golurk
    Candy the Chandelure
    Rice the Mienshao
    Crust the Carracosta

I don't fancy my chances, even after all the grinding I've done, but I'll report back later :)

• Advertisement

It's all over!

First came Grimsley, whose Dark Pokémon barely left a scratch on Rice the Mienshao. Next came Shauntal who was easily taken down by some tag-teaming from Golurk (Punch) and Chandelure (Candy). After that came Caitlin, and that's where things started to go wrong..

All of her Psychic types seem to know Shadow Ball so Reuniclus and Musharna weakened Golurk and Chandelure in the process of being taken down. So her 3rd Pokémon out was Sigilyph, which I decided to take down using Crust the Carracosta's Rock Slide. Except it went first and got a critical hit with Psychic, killing Crust. Noooooo! The bloody thing also knew Ice Beam, nearly taking down KYLE the Braviary, but I managed to keep everyone else alive during the battle.

Shaken, I continued on to Marshal, with KYLE as my key player in this battle. It seems all of the Gen V Fighting types know Rock moves, but a bit of creative switching and healing got us through the battle, paving the way to Ns castle.

Once in N's castle I realised I had a chance to use a PC, so I took a few moments to say goodbye to Crust, then added Cube the Lv. 53 Beartic to my team. I used Punch to catch Zekrom wth very little difficulty and then it was on to battle N.

I started off with Punch vs Reshiram, who survived my first Earthquake with a couple of HP, just enough to do a lot of damage to Punch before going down. Things picked up after that, he stupidly used Klinklang, Vanilluxe and Zoroark all against Rice, so they were all one hit KOs. Then he brought out his Archeops...

"Grand" I thought to myself, "Carracosta will be resistant to it's attacks and Aqua Tail will be super effective so I'll bring out Crust oh wait". No Crust. So I looked at my roster and realised I had a:

Golurk which could resist it's attacks but was weakened
    Braviary which was weak to Rock
    Mienshao which was weak to Flying
    Beartic which was weak to Rock
    Lilligant which was weak to Flying
    Chandelure which was weak to Rock

So one by one they fell. I used their sacrifices to heal Golurk, but it could only get one hit at a time making it a slow and tragic battle. I finally took it down with only 50hp worth of Golurk left and out came his final Pokémon, ironically enough, a Carracosta. "Hmm", I thought, "there's no way he's faster so I should be able to finish him off with Earthquake, plus Golurk has super effective moves against most of Ghetsis's team, so I'm in with a chance yet"

He used Aqua Jet.

*fade to black*

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Rendeva

I did a nuzlocke run of crystal a while back. Didn't lose a single pokemon, but decided to take on the league with just Arcanine, Miltank and Vaporeon, all level 40. Kicked their asses in quick order :D

Pretty sure it could be done in HG/SS nowadays too.

Nickel - Arcanine - Flame Wheel, Iron Tail, Bite, Dig.
    Calcium - Miltank - Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Strength, Earthquake.
    Hydrogen - Vaporeon - Surf, Aurora Beam, Shadow Ball, Quick Attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

fairplay elekid, you got to the final battle and nearly won. You got a lot further in the run than i ever would (further than most id say)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Elekid, I tip my hat to you. Great effort.

Thanks, it was fun and I was amazed I got as far as I did. Audino makes it so much easier to level up in this generation. I didn't really mind losing in the end because I still got a Zekrom and Thundurus out of it it trade over to my copy of Black.

Is anyone else out there still doing their Nuzlockes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Bravo! That's up there with the end of the original Nuzlocke!

Almost makes me want to go back to my run. But damnitt, I barely have the time to look at my proper White game :)

Advertisement