Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone works/worked at AOL in Dublin

Options
  • 20-04-2010 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I have a second round interview with AOL and was wondering if anyone who works or worked there could give me an idea of how it is like to work there.

I'm a bit worried because I currently work in a small company and even though it's not great at least is not stressful.

If anyone could help I would appreciate.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sexdwarf

detzey wrote: »
    I have a second round interview with AOL and was wondering if anyone who works or worked there could give me an idea of how it is like to work there.

I'm a bit worried because I currently work in a small company and even though it's not great at least is not stressful.

If anyone could help I would appreciate.

Thanks

I suppose it depends on the department you were working for. I know someone who worked in the complaints/cancellations callcentre and said that it was very stressful..but that kind of job is very stressful by nature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 detzey

I interviewed for a Software Engineer position. In the interview with the HR Manager she said the all their Engineers are pretty happy to work there and that the turnover was very low. But I still wanted to have some feedabck from someone who works/worked there. It would be very useful for me.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

thought they had closed their office here and outsourced everything tbh..

Was huge once upon a time.
    In the interview with the HR Manager she said the all their Engineers are pretty happy to work there and that the turnover was very low
    what else is the HR manager going to say? "everyone hates working here, we are real slave drivers, its a nightmare" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Did an interview there years & years ago.
    They had really horrible cubicles which put me off wanting to work there - never got an offer anyway.

don't know anyone who has worked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

thought they had closed their office here and outsourced everything tbh..

You're thinking of the AOL UK/Europe customer call centres - different kettle of fish.

AOL (the main company) have an software engineering operation in Citywest.

• Advertisement

No takers on this one then?

You have the interview yet, OP, maybe you can let us know what they're like?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

a friend of mine worked for aol a good few years back in finance and he said it was a bit of a joke. not stressful at all but they had pretty bad precedures in place (from a finance point of view) and it was a bit cliquey if i remember.

i'm not sure i really answered your Q op!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Funny story about AOL...

This was about 8 years ago. I went for a QA job there. The interview was 2 hours long and went really well. At the very end the girl from HR asked me to tell her about my hobbies. For some unknown reason, and as soon as the words were coming out of my mouth my brain was shouting "WTF ARE YOU DOING" I said, "I like to get pictures of celebrities and manipulate them so they look different".

I have never done that in my life, have no interest in it, and I don't know why I said it. Needless to say the HR girl looked at me like I was insane and I didn't get the job...! To this day I wonder why I said that and where it came from.

Back on topic!

I can barely remember the interview, but I remember it was all normal questions. Nothing unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Funny story about AOL...

This was about 8 years ago. I went for a QA job there. The interview was 2 hours long and went really well. At the very end the girl from HR asked me to tell her about my hobbies. For some unknown reason, and as soon as the words were coming out of my mouth my brain was shouting "WTF ARE YOU DOING" I said, "I like to get pictures of celebrities and manipulate them so they look different".

I have never done that in my life, have no interest in it, and I don't know why I said it. Needless to say the HR girl looked at me like I was insane and I didn't get the job...! To this day I wonder why I said that and where it came from.

Back on topic!

I can barely remember the interview, but I remember it was all normal questions. Nothing unexpected.

she must have thought you were nuts !!!!!

thats such a crazy thing to say during an interview, its very funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Lucyx wrote: »
    she must have thought you were nuts !!!!!

thats such a crazy thing to say during an interview, its very funny :D
    Very funny indeed....

I know Aarrrghhh; dude i can't believe you said that... You don't even watch TV!!!!

On topic; i had a phone interview with them a few weeks ago... Very stressful, very annoying... But then again, it could be different for you...

What to note; don't waffle, be direct, keep replies on topic and on point and give examples... It's easier said than done but goodluck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

My Dad has been working in the software engineering end of things there for the last few years. He doesnt talk much about what he does but what I gather is that they are good company to work - otherwise I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have lasted this long. They seem to have a few social events throughout the year.

They had been downsizing for ages but have kept a core, my Dad luckily being one of them. Because of the downsizing they have heaps of empty office space in their Citywest offices and word has it they will be looking to move to new offices in City Centre soonish.

Best of luck with the interview/job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 detzey

the interview was cancelled. they said AOL US pulled the plug. they said i'm too senior for the role and now they're going to hire a junior. after a one hour phone interview then 4+ hours interview on site. time wasted.

thanks everybody for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ggarcia

===========================================

Advertisement