Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Look Cleats

• 20-04-2010 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

has anyone any advice on what type of cleats to use with Look Keo pedals, black, grey or red. I'm aware of the of the different degree of float that each allow. Is it just down to personal preference or can it have a significant impact on how you cycle?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just colour I reckon?

But you can save a few grams by going for the top of the range Look pedals, carbon/ Tit. etc.
    And shrink your wedge.

Conventional wisdom is that zero float can be bad for your knees. Loads of float means you have to twist your foot further to disengage. Other than the float and the colour the different cleats are pretty much identical. So to answer your question: yes it's down to personal preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Planet X wrote: »
    Just colour I reckon?

But you can save a few grams by going for the top of the range Look pedals, carbon/ Tit. etc.
    And shrink your wedge.

Not so Planet X. Black have 0 degree float,grey 4.5 and red 9. I've dumped the grey and gone back to the red with my knee issues and so far so good.(oh and the excellent physio sessions also helped)

@antomagoo I've a set of grey cleats you're welcome to if you want to get a feel for the float they offer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Apologies.
    Didn't know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Not so Planet X. Black have 0 degree float,grey 4.5 and red 9. I've dumped the grey and gone back to the red with my knee issues and so far so good.(oh and the excellent physio sessions also helped)

@antomagoo I've a set of grey cleats you're welcome to if you want to get a feel for the float they offer.

same as used grey now back to red after physio slowly getting knee tendons back to normal (shoulda know better after 20 years of red cleats)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Mosiki

I used grey all last year and was happy enough with them, however, I changed to red last month and definitely prefer the extra manoeuvrability. Red for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Red for me too. With my first pair of Look pedals I opted for the red cleats just to try them out, and to play safe with my knees, and I've never had any desire to change away from them in the nearly 20 years since. If in doubt, starting with red is the safest bet I think, although with grey being available these days they might well be a safe enough middle ground if you have no reason to worry about the state of your knees. Personally I wouldn't start with the black cleats.

To get some idea of whether you may need float, before making your cleat choice, next time you are riding try to gauge whether your feet change position on the pedals as you pedal. It can be hard to detect though, might help to have someone cycling behind you to watch your pedaling motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

cheers for the replies.

Using grey at the moment so cheers Tax Man but reckon I'll go for the red

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

I have grey ones at the moment and have had no problems with them, but i'll probably replace them with red ones when they're worn out just to try them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

antomagoo wrote: »
    has anyone any advice on what type of cleats to use with Look Keo pedals, black, grey or red. I'm aware of the of the different degree of float that each allow. Is it just down to personal preference or can it have a significant impact on how you cycle?

Depends on what you're wearing them for. If commuting into town or getting used to cleats red are best for emergency situations! If your knees are dodgy stick with the red. If you race and the knees are holding up go black and tighten the pedals to the max-minimises loss of power in the transmission particularly at max effort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭horizon26

I switched from shimano to look,and I like the look pedals a lot.I have the grey cleats not much float,will go red starting tomorrow.Look cleats are very soft indeed only weekness the keo system has shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Just to add to the cleat debate; Shimano cleat movement also vary depending on colour used. Yellow equals 7 Degrees movement while Red shimano equals 0 (zero) movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Hmmm i use and love the black cleats, like the feel of my feet locked into the same position, never had any knee problems so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Zorba wrote: »
    Hmmm i use and love the black cleats, like the feel of my feet locked into the same position, never had any knee problems so far :)

yes many do, OP start off with red to get an idea of what your knees can take, and then once you dial it in switch to grey or black even. Also the red ones are a b*stard for rubbing cranks during v hard efforts and/or when tired :) Im on red (have been for..8 years or so) keep meaning to change to black..one day! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

me@ucd wrote: »
    Also the red ones are a b*stard for rubbing cranks during v hard efforts and/or when tired

I think scuffed cranks are cheaper to replace than knees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

The other decision making factor on the black cleats is that if the armco doesn't stop you chances are the bike is coming with you. So if you're planning on passing on the bike or using it to cover your funeral expenses stay with the red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

yes many do, OP start off with red to get an idea of what your knees can take, and then once you dial it in switch to grey or black even.

Me: red --> gray --> black.

I really like the black cleats. They give a much more 'connected' feeling. I believe they are also helping my knees track a little straighter on the down-stroke. More efficient? Maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Me: red --> gray --> black.

I really like the black cleats. They give a much more 'connected' feeling. I believe they are also helping my knees track a little straighter on the down-stroke. More efficient? Maybe.

Exactly, like everything its about how you use it, give two men a chisel and a lump of marble, and with one you might get a pile of boken marble, and the other a nice sculpture! :)

yes many do, OP start off with red to get an idea of what your knees can take, and then once you dial it in switch to grey or black even. Also the red ones are a b*stard for rubbing cranks during v hard efforts and/or when tired :) Im on red (have been for..8 years or so) keep meaning to change to black..one day! :D

Yes i originally started on grey cleats and i'd recommend everyone do the same, i then tried black cleats didn't like them at first went back to grey and couldn't stand the movement after using the black ones so black ones went back on, took a little adjustment though to make sure the were lined up correctly for my knees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Thinking of swapping over from SPD's to Look Keo's soon... I guess a middle ground of grey would be the best option (moving to red if problems)!

• Advertisement

72hundred wrote: »
    Thinking of swapping over from SPD's to Look Keo's soon... I guess a middle ground of grey would be the best option (moving to red if problems)!

Yes i'd try the grey first 4.5 degrees of float should be enough, think most of the Keo's come with grey cleats anyway, i could be wrong though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

Lumen wrote: »
    I think scuffed cranks are cheaper to replace than knees.

Hi All
    If you are scuffing your crank arms, Chances you have an overpronation issue. This can be addressed with cleat wedges, Or using Specalized foot beds, only €30

Or your Q-factor is too low, Pedals too close together. Lance uses 1.5 mm washers, mounted between pedals and cranks. These spread his feet wider apart. This gives perfect alignment, of feet knees and hips.

The new Look Keo Max2 pedals feature a longer threaded portion, so if you have broad hips. You can install some washers.

Hope this helps.

Happy cycling:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have only used grey, and find that they have way to much float. I like less float but dont like the idea of zero flooat, is there a compromise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Hi All
    If you are scuffing your crank arms, Chances you have an overpronation issue. This can be addressed with cleat wedges, Or using Specalized foot beds, only €30

Or your shoes are wide fitting. I have one very wide pair of shoes (Northwave) and they touch off crank arms, but my Sidis and Specialized shoes dont.

ROK ON wrote: »
    I have only used grey, and find that they have way to much float. I like less float but dont like the idea of zero flooat, is there a compromise?

Buy black cleats and file a little bit off them to give u a little float ?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

Can anyone tell me if I want to use look cleats do I also need to change my pedals, I'm using some sort of shimano at the moment I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

keano007 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if I want to use look cleats do I also need to change my pedals, I'm using some sort of shimano at the moment I think?

Yes, you will need new pedals, but any set of pedals you buy should come with a set of cleats, at least if you buy them new. Look Keos generally come with the cleats that have the medium amount of float, so to speak, I think 4.5 degrees, and grey is the colour?

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Look Keo Classics are nice and cheap, however I think that the Keo 2 Max are worth the extra price. They have a wider platform reminiscent of the SPD-SL design and I find them more comfortable.

I still think SPD-SL is the best pedal system.

My honest advice would be buy a set of classics and see how you like them, if not sell them on and buy an entry level set of SPD-SL, then Times, etc. until you find one that works for you. Then you can worry about buying a more expensive set further down the line. It would be reasonably expensive but contact points (saddle, bars, pedals) are all very personal and what works for one guy might not suit another.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Look Keo Classics are nice and cheap, however I think that the Keo 2 Max are worth the extra price. They have a wider platform reminiscent of the SPD-SL design and I find them more comfortable.

I still think SPD-SL is the best pedal system.

My honest advice would be buy a set of classics and see how you like them, if not sell them on and buy an entry level set of SPD-SL, then Times, etc. until you find one that works for you. Then you can worry about buying a more expensive set further down the line. It would be reasonably expensive but contact points (saddle, bars, pedals) are all very personal and what works for one guy might not suit another.

Thanks dirk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i have a set of keo max 2 and cant get on with them, must be my old decrepid knees, went back to my keo classics (but i have very dodgy knees)

70 euro to you 35km on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I had another Time pedal break this morning (specifically, the front hooky section partially broke off).

I like the float and Q-factor choice of the Times, but maybe SPD-SLs combined with washers would be a more reliable solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Any know if you can buy single Look cleats anywhere? I bought a new set of grey cleats a few weeks ago but seem to have lost one of them, can't find it anywhere. Bit annoyed with myself if I have to go buy another set when I've one perfectly good and new cleat at hand.

Advertisement