Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accommodation strictness?

Options
  • 21-04-2010 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Hey I was just wondering how strict the student accodations are,I'm hoping to go to plassey next year and not that I;m going to go wild or anything but You know I dont want to have people giving out to me allot either.

A friend of mine in private accodation said they are quite bad :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

I believe 'accomodations' is the word you are looking for :p They have a good security presence these days. Some might find it a bit of a downer but at the end of the day, it's better to be safe than sorry :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Pretty strict on making you hit F7 before you post anything! But you're new, so we'll forgive you just this once.

From what I've heard in the last year or so, on campus has gotten pretty strict. Personally having spent 1st year in Kilmurry and 2nd year in Cappavilla I had good experiences in both; had some pretty big **** off parties in the two of them and went to more and never had an issue. Though there seems to be a major clampdown based on anecdotes I've heard and the emails going around off various authorities.

I'd definitely recommend Kilmurry for 1st year though; great spot; little bit more comfy than Plassey [though they've refurbed Plassey a bit seemingly], close to the college and 4 doubles in an 8 bed vs 2 in Plassey afaik. Check out the accomodation sticky at the top of the forum. This thread should possibly be in there tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

They're not strict, they've just stopped taking the shit they've been putting up with for a number of years.

If you keep it civilised you won't have any problems and if you're out by 10/10:30 when having a house party (technically banned and defined as 8 or more people including all residents) security will more than likely not bother you.

If security ask you to close it down, close it down and there won't be any problems.

Most people end up in front of discipline for abusing security, a village manager or refusing to follow their instructions.

Keep the house clean is another one they're clamping down on. Cans and bottles do not belong on the table once they've been finished. If one of your housemates happens to be pissed off with this and invites the village manager in, you could end up with a serious migrane from listening to them, and a bill for industrial cleaners.

Basically, treat it like you would your own home and there'll be no issues.

And can someone edit the title...it's really bugging me!

House Party. Civilised. Does. Not. equate.

C'mon Ninty, it's not Tea Parties we're having here. There's gonna be music, theres gonna be drink, theres gonna be noise. And I find it incredible that according to what you've listed above; if I were in an 8 bed in Kilmurry and myself and all my housemates were in the Living Room having a few cans before we went out that this is a house party and could be 'closed down' be security. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

cson wrote: »
    House Party. Civilised. Does. Not. equate.

C'mon Ninty, it's not Tea Parties we're having here. There's gonna be music, theres gonna be drink, theres gonna be noise. And I find it incredible that according to what you've listed above; if I were in an 8 bed in Kilmurry and myself and all my housemates were in the Living Room having a few cans before we went out that this is a house party and could be 'closed down' be security. FFS.
    I don't see why you'd be closed down :p

Or do Kilmurry have strict security too?

• Advertisement

fyi :pac:
    ninty9er wrote: »
    If you keep it civilised you won't have any problems and if you're out by 10/10:30 when having a house party (technically banned and defined as 8 or more people including all residents) security will more than likely not bother you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I think were already booked into plassey so*shrugs*

heh I actually realised I forgot the M inthe title,but now only realised I forgot in in the post too :rolleyes:.

Ugh...so no partys with post/pop punk music blaring out the walls ey X(.
    Can they really tell though if theres like more than 8 people in the house,c'mon like thats how many there are per house:DEven when were just sitting around on a friday/saturday night theres atleast 10 of us just sitting down talking having a few arguing wheter to go too the ****ty local club or not heh.mhhhh I wonder if I got a giant picture of the living room and it at the window XD.

nah dont get me wrong,I dont want to go wild but even if there were 15-16 of us just sitting around talking...that wouldnt be allowed :(.My cousin in Galway was telling me of how they made a hole in the fence cause they kept stoping her and her friends bring groups back :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

I'm living in Plassey at the moment, and don't worry it's actually fine! Like on nights out ya actually get away with having the music blaring, but once 11 comes they usually tell everyone to leave but sure it's grand cos you'll be heading out at that time too! And I've been to tonnes of parties here with like 40 people in the house, even had a few ourselves! I don't find it strict really, rag week the security were a bit of a buzzkill but other than that it's party on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Really oh cool thats a bit of relief so.

Must study to get in now though :D.

Theres like 4 of us trying to get into the same place so hopfully it works out :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

Yeah totally don't worry about it!

The best year of my life, such craic there! And to be honest even if the 4 of ye don't end up living together you'll be better off like, I moved into a house on my own, made tonnes of new friends through everyone, now like 50 of us are going to college court together!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

living in kilmurry this year and booked it again for next year and tbh i didnt have any problems with it. threw a good few house parties with 30 people + there and never had any problems, security shut a good few of them down but tbh, never until 11- half eleven anyways. House has been in ****e condition too a few times when theyve come calling to shut it down (broken glass etc) and they always let us clean it up the next day before it became a problem they would have to report.
    sayin that rag week was an awful buzzkill, we were raided twice by security, second time it was only the housemates in the house, "lads yere not allowed to have houseparties etc etc weve been through this before", we gracously point out its only residents here :pac: they left with red faces there;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Would have to recommend Plassey for any 1st year. Ok it's not the best standard of housing but it's a great place to live. I'm living there atm and we've never really had any trouble from security. ( besides rag week when security actually came in once to tell us to turn down the tv :rolleyes: ) As others have said, house parties are generally let be as long as you're outta the place by 11. On top of this resistants must be about 90% 1st years so it's great for making friends.
    If I was starting all over again it'd have to be Plassey in 1st year for me.

Advertisement