Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jack russell collapsed tonight :(

Options
  • 21-04-2010 12:53am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

My first post on this forum...

Our jack russell has for the last while (and i mean on and off over the last year) had this cough.

its like he is trying to hack up a hairball (i thought only cats did it) a few times he seemed to get dizzy while doing it, but tonight he had a really bad episode and collapsed and rolled onto his backl then his side, his eyes were wide, he started to curl up into a ball and seemed not to be breathing but we picked him up and all of a sudden he came around, this all lasted about 2 minutes.

were bringing him to the vets tomorrow morning, but im gutted, has anyone any idea what this might be? he's about 10 years old now.

I feel like utter sh** now because we probably should have brought him as soon as it started first, but it came and went and came and went... if he isnt alive when i wake in the morning, ill never forgive myself :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I'm not a vet, nor have I had experience of this myself but it is possible that:

all the coughing interfered with his breathing reducing the amount of air going to his brain and caused him to faint. If you breath in and out really quickly for a few minutes you would faint. Which would suggest if the underlying problem - the sore throat/obstruction is removed he will be fine. I'm sure the vet will make him well tomorrow best wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Morpheus, the vet will tell you after testing. Coughing can be a sign of lots of things - from 'just a cough' to heartworm, or a heart problem. You wouldn't be the first owner caught out by the 'coming and going' nature of a cough in an animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I don’t usually look at the boards Animal&Pet forum as I don’t like thinking about sick animals :o, but saw this from the main board. My parent’s Jack Russell developed seizures (unknown cause) at about 13, and in her case a strange hacking/retching that might be similar to what you describe may have been associated with those; on the other hand, she stretched out rather than curled up when seizing. (If I were you I would not bring up the seizure suggestion until your vet has given their opinion, but it might be a possibility to consider if there are no unusual signs for the vet to see in the morning.) Don’t beat yourself up about not consulting the vet before now – it’s not easy to know whether on-off things are serious. My best wishes for the wee doggy – fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

Morphéus wrote: »
    Hi all,

My first post on this forum...

Our jack russell has for the last while (and i mean on and off over the last year) had this cough.

its like he is trying to hack up a hairball (i thought only cats did it) a few times he seemed to get dizzy while doing it, but tonight he had a really bad episode and collapsed and rolled onto his backl then his side, his eyes were wide, he started to curl up into a ball and seemed not to be breathing but we picked him up and all of a sudden he came around, this all lasted about 2 minutes.

were bringing him to the vets tomorrow morning, but im gutted, has anyone any idea what this might be? he's about 10 years old now.

I feel like utter sh** now because we probably should have brought him as soon as it started first, but it came and went and came and went... if he isnt alive when i wake in the morning, ill never forgive myself :(

Please dont be so hard on yourself, pets arent like people, they cant tell you if the feel unwell or that they are in any pain etc, it is almost impossible to predict something like this happening, I mean how many of us pet owners have experienced our pets coughing or retching, and generally it would be because of something they ate/chewed, and would usually resolve itself.
    You are doing all you can for the situation that you are in, so please forgive yourself, okay. As for what may be wrong - as a previous post said, it could be anything from a cough to a heart condition, and nowadays, the medications and treatments available are great so chin up, and I do sincerely hope all goes well for you and your doggy at the vets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

It's really not your fault he's sick. It's an awful feeling thinking it's your fault :(

It could be a sign of heart disease, but you could never have guessed that if you didn't know. It could just be a cough. I hope he will be ok anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

As said already in this thread - its not your fault - he can't talk to tell you where it hurts! I'm sure if you thought it was serious before you would have brought him straight to the vet, like you are doing now.

It could be any number of things and your vet will let you know I'm sure.

In my case, my little Jack Russel used to get a honking/spluttering cough. The vet said he has a sensitive trachea and is prone to tracheal collapse so we must never walk him on a collar. We had him on a harness already but it sat low down on the neck - I found one that sat even further down his chest so it never put pressure anywhere along his neck and its much better and less frequent now.

He still sometimes makes the honking noise - I just pick him up and gently massage the throat for him and it goes away.

The best of luck with your fella, I'm sure he'll be fine :) be sure to update us!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

My father is just back from the vets, he says the vet has pointed out its a heart problem and didnt clarify but provided us with a weeks worth of tablets.

he also said that we can either:
    spend 46 euro a month on tablets
    or
    have him euthanised :eek:

What kind of a problem it is im not sure and my dad didnt ask for too many details. i dont want to have him put to sleep, the 46 euro is nothing!!!

this is awful... i will have to contact the vet to ask for more information on his exact problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

I'd get a second opinion - vets can be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

My father is just back from the vets, he says the vet has pointed out its a heart problem and didnt clarify but provided us with a weeks worth of tablets.

he also said that we can either:
    spend 46 euro a month on tablets
    or
    have him euthanised :eek:

What kind of a problem it is im not sure and my dad didnt ask for too many details. i dont want to have him put to sleep, the 46 euro is nothing!!!

this is awful... i will have to contact the vet to ask for more information on his exact problem.

Definitely contact the vet and find out as much as you can about your little guys heart problem. You can then do loads of research online and find out what happens if/when it gets worse, know the signs that something is wrong etc. €46 can feel steep but you could ring around and see if other vet practices do the drugs for cheaper, or you could get them online (your vet is obliged to write a prescription for any medication you need, you don't have to buy them then and there). Most sites will require a script and are very strict on how much you purchase but you can make a saving.

Maybe, when the weeks worth of tablets are finished bring your dog back to the vet and have a really good talk about options, drugs etc. Just remember that this is not your fault and you can give him the best quality of life from here on out - plenty of dogs live happy lives with heart problems (2 of my lot have heart issues!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I'm with John 47832. Get a second opinion from a "pet vet" - that's if your's is a vet that deals with all types of animals, like many rural practices do in Ireland. I don't know where you are but I would certainly suggest getting another opinion, and I'm saying this from experience.
    Best of luck with him (what's his name?) Will be thinking about him :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Sorry to hear this, but good advice above. For what it's worth, the same dog I wrote about above was diagnosed with a leaky hrart valve quite a few years before the seizure problem (although without any obvious signs of a problem in daily life); the vets had her on a beta blocker and she did very well. Apparently valve issues are common with Jack Russells (although I don't know if that is what your dog has). Again, best wishes - the doggy is lucky to have such caring owners.

Any news of your dog OP? I've been checking all evening to try and find out if he's ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

my own fella who is a GSD has had this sort of cough, its as if he is trying to hack something up of sneezing, hard to explain.

he's only 18 months old, so straight to the vet in the morning to make sure.

TechnoPool wrote: »
    my own fella who is a GSD has had this sort of cough, its as if he is trying to hack something up of sneezing, hard to explain.

he's only 18 months old, so straight to the vet in the morning to make sure.

Hope he'll be ok - he's only a baby so I'm sure he'll be just fine:)

Shazanne wrote: »
    Hope he'll be ok - he's only a baby so I'm sure he'll be just fine:)

ye hope so, just this thread has me worried ;)

so better safe than sorry.

TechnoPool wrote: »
    ye hope so, just this thread has me worried ;)

so better safe than sorry.

You're right to put your mind at ease - it's always the wisest thing to do. Best of luck and try not to be worrying:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

In a dog that young its more than likely to be an irritation to the airway or kennel cough. Very easily passed from dog to dog. I would bring him to the vet but let them know he is coughing as if you bring him into the waiting room and it is Kennel Cough it was pass!

But remember it could just be a tickle, but get checked to make sure as if it is something more and left untreated it can be a "bitch" to get rid of!

/oh i do crack myself up sometimes!

i thought it was like a tickle in his throat, as we caught him pulling strands out of a rope toy he had and swallowing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Please warn your vet that you think it may be kennel cough before you bring him into the waiting room.

Toulouse wrote: »
    Please warn your vet that you think it may be kennel cough before you bring him into the waiting room.

i rang them and said it before hand so chill out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Who isn't chilled? :) Jules gave you the same advice, how come she didn't get quoted? :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭suraheg

Hey guys,

I'm a vet nurse, and it could be a number of different problems. Heart problems cause fluid to build up in the lungs causing a cough. Or it could be an upper respiratory problem, or a lower resp problem. If the vet says his heart is the problem, more than likely it is. And you don't want him to collapse again, cause he might not be so lucky next time. If you need to get a second opinion do but I would trust your vet.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

my old dog had that ( bad cough ) he'd walk and then stop and be gasping for air

he died and it was because he had an enlarged heart ( staffordshire bulldog )

sad thing is i think he knew he was dying , the night before he was squelling really loud etc , when we came down he was lying with eyes open but dead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

My Black Lab collasped one day at the start of our walk, got up again after a minute or two I had him straight over to the vets who couldn't find anything obvious wrong with him so he took a blood test and found he had a veru high white cell count, he had to send it away to be confirmed but he thought it was lukemia, the poor dog was dead the morning after we got it confirmed!!

Advertisement