Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lead flashing - what adhesive to use? (see pics)

• 21-04-2010 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Folks, I'm having a problem with a strip of lead flashing on my house.
    I've tried to push it back into place, but it keeps falling down as shown in the pictures.

Is there a particular type of adhesive that would be suitable that I could use to hold it in it correct position?

Also, some of the leadwork around the house is a bit discoloured and has plaster debris on it. Is there a special type of paint that would be suitable for giving the lead a uniform look and colour?

Thanks,
    MtM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

The lead that is falling looks to be nearly flat. That piece should have been folded up underneath the flashing on the wall, along its entire length. That would have then held it in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Tech 7 should do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Hi C Eng.

The lead under the yellow wall is indeed vertical.
    The "falling" lead is supposed to be tucked underneath before it comes out at 45 degrees (or steeper) to the slate below.

Ideally, it should stay up by itself, I just want to give it a little help so that it doesn't drop again.

Thanks for the adhesive tip Pot Noodle. Is Tec 7 widely availabe in Ireland? Do the likes of Woodies, Atlantic Homecare, B&Q, Homebase carry it?

Anyone know if I can paint the lead that's discoloured?

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

If the lead is discoloured. Try some patination oil. Most biulders providers should stock it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Use lead and gutter sealent. Its perfect for the job and does not weap. Its available in woodies and comes in colours black and grey.

TBH it should be really fixed in place so use a length of duct tape to take the load whilest the silicone seals.

Just in case you get the idea to use a cheap silicone the reason its not suitable is it bleeds seperating it from the lead and shrinks in the sun and cold. You really need to use lead and gutter as its a 100% silicone.

Another product that will work is fire seal silicone because its 100% silicone as well however its 3 times more expensive than the above. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

as is visible from your picture the flashing was nailed to the wall, though only with two per section of lead.
    so get yourself a few washered steel nails (the ones with the washer as part of the head) and fold up your top flashing, you will see where the nail was driven thru the lead on left.
    2/3 nails on top edge, cap with silicone if you like, dress your flashing down on tiles, then dress down your top flashing.....
    hope this helps.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

C Eng wrote: »
    If the lead is discoloured. Try some patination oil. Most biulders providers should stock it
    Patination oil only works on new lead, once it has oxidised it is not worth applying it.
    Found this out the hard way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

It looks like the lead flashing is too narrow to start.

I believe the regs are (correct me if I am wrong), minimum 100mm vertical per single piece, minimum 150mm over the tile.

I would get new 240mm lead flashing, NAIL it with washers to the wall UNDER the top-level lead flashing. Hammer it into the correct shape with a rubber mallet.

Advertisement