Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual citizenship

Options
  • 21-04-2010 5:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I'm wondering- My birth mother was born in County Cork and immigrated to the US before my birth. I was born in Colorado USA in 1957, but as far as I know, she did not become a citizen of the US. In fact, I'm told that she left here due to immigration issues. I've heard that if one birth parent is not a naturalized citizen of this country, that the child born of those parents holds a dual citizenship. Also- how does one go about finding out if a birth parent ever did become a citizen? I've also heard that the birth cert that was issued upon the finalization of my adoption is my "real" birth cert and that makes me a single citizenship holder, regardless of my birth parents. Sorry to have rambled on, but I am curious...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

If you were adopted you might have lost your entitlement to Irish citizenship. However I'm no expert in nationality law. If you want to know whether you have a chance of becoming an Irish citizen, you're better off containing an Irish embassy in the US. If you explain the situation, then they might tell you whether you can claim Irish citizenship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Irishangel113

I've heard about the Reading Room in Dublin- I'm trying to find my birth mother who was born in County Cork "sometime" in 1933-she was 24 years old at the time of my birth. Her name was Bridget Mary O'Connor-unfortunately that's all I really know about her. I do know that she immigrated to the US before my birth (I was born in 1957). I've been told that she left immediately following my birth, presumably to return to Ireland due to immigration issues. Here's my question: is it possible for someone there in Dublin to maybe do a search for me at the Reading Room with just this little bit of information? Anybody's efforts would be so very much appreciated! I really do hate to impose, but I'm in the US and can't get there to look for myself! Thank you all so much!

Bridget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I've heard about the Reading Room in Dublin- I'm trying to find my birth mother who was born in County Cork "sometime" in 1933-she was 24 years old at the time of my birth. Her name was Bridget Mary O'Connor-unfortunately that's all I really know about her. I do know that she immigrated to the US before my birth (I was born in 1957). I've been told that she left immediately following my birth, presumably to return to Ireland due to immigration issues. Here's my question: is it possible for someone there in Dublin to maybe do a search for me at the Reading Room with just this little bit of information? Anybody's efforts would be so very much appreciated! I really do hate to impose, but I'm in the US and can't get there to look for myself! Thank you all so much!

Bridget

I'm not in Dublin but if those census details were here I'd do it, I'm sure someone else in Dub will do it. Are you sure there's nothing else about her that would make her easier to find? Sounds like there would be a few matches for that name tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Irishangel113

No, unfortunately that's all the information I have on her. I know it is so little to go on... my birth father's name was Edward Ella Hayes- he was from Illinois, and I can only assume that she married him upon her arrival to the US. I wish I could be of more help!

Advertisement