Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok, that's it. Just take out all the roundabouts.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

You lot think it's bad in cars? Try it in a motorbike. The roundabouts in Galway actually scare the sh*t out of me as no matter how properly I take them, some ignorant twit is guaranteed to cut me off, or worse.
    My top 5 circles of death:

5. The mini-roundabout in Salthill that intersects with the Threadneedle Rd. Walls around it are too high.

4. The Bodkin Roundabout. It might work if they got rid of the entrance to the shopping centre, but until then the lanes make no sense. I actually find the lights OK.

3. The GMIT roundabout as the damn thing is banked all wrong.

2. The Kirwan roundabout as it's always congested, so traffic can back up suddenly. New pedestrian lights don't help as they change too fast.

1. The Bohermore/Sean Mulvoy Rd Roundabout - It's too small, has too many entrances and exits and is just filled with morons indicating right and going left.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

rubensni wrote: »
    You lot think it's bad in cars? Try it in a motorbike. The roundabouts in Galway actually scare the sh*t out of me as no matter how properly I take them, some ignorant twit is guaranteed to cut me off, or worse.
    My top 5 circles of death:

5. The mini-roundabout in Salthill that intersects with the Threadneedle Rd. Walls around it are too high.

4. The Bodkin Roundabout. It might work if they got rid of the entrance to the shopping centre, but until then the lanes make no sense. I actually find the lights OK.

3. The GMIT roundabout as the damn thing is banked all wrong.

2. The Kirwan roundabout as it's always congested, so traffic can back up suddenly. New pedestrian lights don't help as they change too fast.

1. The Bohermore/Sean Mulvoy Rd Roundabout - It's too small, has too many entrances and exits and is just filled with morons indicating right and going left.

I think I might have mentioned it before but I know someone who had a pretty bad crash there years ago and the irony of it all was that he shared the same surname as the roundabout!

I don't drive but if I'm in the car with my Dad, I feel like closing my eyes coz you know you're going to see somebody do something stupid that could result in something serious. I'm usually confirmed of someone's idiocy when I hear the horns beeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Have to agree with you rubensni, roundabouts in Galway on a motorbike are an extra challenge all on their own. They need to write a chapter in the ROTR book on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Stubs wrote: »
    Galway has to be the worst place in the world for the behaviour of motorists at roundabouts.

From personal experience Kilkenny is pretty bad too. Not as many roundabouts there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Xiney wrote: »
    Before I become a hatchback sized splat on one of them through no fault of my own.

Today it was an articulated lorry coming onto the roundabout, completely ignoring the fact that I was signalling to exit, and forcing me to continue on to the next exit. I suppose at that stage the best thing would have been to cancel my signal and go around the roundabout again and try and exit normally again, but argh, I was more thinking "Holy crap you massive jackass, you nearly killed me!" than "logically what I should do here..."

ARGH. £$%^!

I used to actually cycle around roundabouts. i am amazed that I was only knocked down once. there should be a sign saying no cyclists cos there is no way you can safely go around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You should see how they use roundabouts in Kerry :p

Just driving the tractor over the middle, so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

My personal bug bear is the roundabout at GMIT.

To the person driving in front of me

STOPPING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROUNDABOUT TO LET PEOPLE ONTO THE ROUNDABOUT IS NOT GOOD MANNERS. IT'S BLOODY STUPID, INCORRECT, AWFUL DRIVING. IT CAUSES ACCIDENTS. YOU ARE NOT A GOOD DRIVER WHEN YOU DO THIS. YOU ARE NOT DEMONSTRATING GOOD DRIVING WHEN YOU DO THIS. I AM PERFECTLY ENTITLED TO SWEAR PROFUSELY AT YOU AND BLOW MY HORN AT YOU WHEN YOU ALMOST CAUSE ME AND FIVE OTHER DRIVERS TO CRASH INTO THE REAR OF YOUR CAR.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I used to actually cycle around roundabouts. i am amazed that I was only knocked down once. there should be a sign saying no cyclists cos there is no way you can safely go around them.

I disagree.
    You just have to take the centre of the lane, use your hands to indicate to all and sundry your intentions and not allow anyone pass you until you've cleared the godforsaken junction planted there exclusively for the benefit of motorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

cson wrote: »
    Plus the practice of putting traffic lights on a roundabout - wtf. You either have one or the other.

The Black 07 Audi A4 in front of me this morning drove through the red light on the roundabout.So its clear they dont work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

I really think people just pick the lane with the least amount of traffic. That's what lanes are for, right? Didn't these people do a driving test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

kodute wrote: »
    Pet hate of mine, especially at the GMIT roundabout heading towards town.

If you are coming past Merlin and going straight through the GMIT roundabout then both lanes are marked for straight on. It's up to the drivers to sort out the merging issues coming off the roundabout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

ocokev wrote: »
    The Black 07 Audi A4 in front of me this morning drove through the red light on the roundabout.So its clear they dont work either.

That was me :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

That was me :cool:

At least you indicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

JustMary wrote: »
    Just driving the tractor over the middle, so?

Haha.

I've been driving in Kerry and seen people indicate left on a roundabout and then proceed to take the last exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Fuinseog wrote: »

I used to cycle all over the city, including the roundabouts. Just take to the lane when necessary and don't let the drivers push you off the road.

I've never been knocked down because I cycle very defensively - that's including several years of cycling in Montreal where the drivers are worse than here. (Here it's ignorance. In Montreal it's pure unadulterated homocidal rage.)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

If you are coming past Merlin and going straight through the GMIT roundabout then both lanes are marked for straight on. It's up to the drivers to sort out the merging issues coming off the roundabout

Yes, whoever thought it was a good idea to have 2 straight through lanes merge into one on a roundabout should have their cushy civil service job taken from them and given to anyone with a brain.

It also doesn't stop people trying the same stunt in the other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

kodute wrote: »
    Yes, whoever thought it was a good idea to have 2 straight through lanes merge into one on a roundabout should have their cushy civil service job taken from them and given to anyone with a brain.

It also doesn't stop people trying the same stunt in the other direction.
    In fairness, the same set up works quite well on the bodkin/headford rd/tesco roundabout because the traffic is usually going quite slowly.

I usually move from the inside lane to the outside lane upon passing the renmore rd (ie, when I start signalling) in order to be in the correct lane to exit on the dublin road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

The 2 arrows are there to indicate that its the end of the bus lane and 2 lanes are available. The arrows are too far back from the roundabout for them to indicate that both lanes are for straight ahead at roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Xiney wrote: »
    In fairness, the same set up works quite well on the bodkin/headford rd/tesco roundabout because the traffic is usually going quite slowly.
    Webbs wrote: »
    The 2 arrows are there to indicate that its the end of the bus lane and 2 lanes are available. The arrows are too far back from the roundabout for them to indicate that both lanes are for straight ahead at roundabout.

Thats what I thought but couldn't be sure so I just stuck to the 'correct' lane.
    The bodkin/headford/tesco roundabout (nice name ;) ) has markings to indicate that a lane is "right and straight" for example. The GMIT lanes are simply marked straight, after the bus lane ends.

Also the B/H/T has traffic lights.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I live near the B/H/T. Every two minutes you hear somebody beeping cos of some ****ing ****tard. Most of the bad driving I see there is actually agressive or dangerous driving. Changing lanes whilst going around the roundabout, going round the whole roundabout on the outside .Swerving in front of others to get their exit, running red lights. That sort of stuff. There's a certain amount of people just not used to the roundabout being completely freaked by it but mostly it's just out and out selfish, idiotic and aggressive driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

I have no problem on Roundabouts because I am able to drive. Methinks that the op, as a woman with a bit of a chip on her shoulder, may be incapable of this :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Going around the Shopping Centre roundabout and taking the exit to go over the bridge to Westside/Newcastle there are 2 lanes side-by-side for that exit. The lanes are clearly marked and yet a lot of people in the left lane drift over into the right lane before drifting back into the left lane just before the bridge exit.

Why do people think it's ok to drift back and forth across lanes on a multi-lane roundabout? It's really dangerous. You should always hold your lane. I know some cars coming onto the roundabout from the Headford Rd outbound sometimes stick their noses out over the white line; result being that people in the left lane are forced over a bit but I have seen absolutely loads of people on the roundabout drifting back and forth across lanes when there are no cars waiting at the Headford Rd outbound entrance.

What you're supposed to do:
    GalwaySCroundabouta.jpg

What some people wrongly do:
    GalwaySCroundaboutb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

KevR wrote: »
    Why do people think it's ok to drift back and forth across lanes on a multi-lane roundabout? It's really dangerous. You should always hold your lane. I know some cars coming onto the roundabout from the Headford Rd outbound sometimes stick their noses out over the white line; result being that people in the left lane are forced over a bit but I have seen absolutely loads of people on the roundabout drifting back and forth across lanes when there are no cars waiting at the Headford Rd outbound entrance.

Well said. Lane hopping on the roundabout is dangerous and stupid, and a sign of an incapable driver. Should be 12 instant penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have no problem on Roundabouts because I am able to drive. Methinks that the op, as a woman with a bit of a chip on her shoulder, may be incapable of this :cool:
    I've seen your posts so far. More helpfulness and less funneh is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

KevR wrote: »
    The lanes are clearly marked and yet a lot of people in the left lane drift over into the right lane before drifting back into the left lane just before the bridge exit.
    <snip>
    What you're supposed to do:
    GalwaySCroundabouta.jpg

What some people wrongly do:
    GalwaySCroundaboutb.jpg

Yeah, but that bump on the right side is stupid and is what confuses people. It breaks the flow and if you're on the inside lane, suddenly your being directed out if you follow the lines.
    Plus, to follow them out properly it leads you straight into the cars looking to get on the round about coming from the Retail park.
    They should have a sliproad from the retail park going onto the quincentennial instead, like they do the far side.
    The chop-changing of 2-to-3-to-2 lanes is a headwreck and is not what one would expect in a roundabout.
    It makes no sense, is a mish-mash of half-concepts and confuses the feck out of everyone leading to indecision when it's needed most.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Yes but it works perfectly if you follow and trust it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

GalwaySCroundabouta.jpg

Except in cases where other drivers get in the way! As is illustrated here, only 3 cars maximum (in any one lane) can be waiting at the lights to exit toward Dunnes! I have been pushed over and witnessed numerous close calls of other people swerving into the left lane to exit onto Quincentennial Bridge when coming from Tescos and Bohermore...

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

spender.j wrote: »
    GalwaySCroundabouta.jpg

Except in cases where other drivers get in the way! As is illustrated here, only 3 cars maximum (in any one lane) can be waiting at the lights to exit toward Dunnes! I have been pushed over and witnessed numerous close calls of other people swerving into the left lane to exit onto Quincentennial Bridge when coming from Tescos and Bohermore...

And sometimes to make it extra fun there are people entering from Galway Retail Park side who have nudged out a little bit too far in an attempt to get onto the roundabout forcing you to either stop or swerve to the right a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Yes but it works perfectly if you follow and trust it.

The creation of a lane mid roundabout is very unusual. For people who have not used that roundabout multiple times it is very confusing.

When you are approaching that "bump", it fells very un-natural to be redirected into the centre of the road.

Even if you follow it and trust it, it doesn't guarantee it will work perfectly. The majority of the time the person to the right of you just doesn't give you enough room. They seem to want to take the straightest path through the roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I actually don't mind roundabouts or maybe I'm just used to them !

The huge exception is the Terryland one Hate it.

I hate the people who can't use it even more though.

Advertisement