Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do mods have souls?

Options
  • 21-04-2010 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

In reference to this post, would a nice, "Sorry, wrong forum, ask in in PI" not have been a bit more appropriate for a first post of a new user in a bit of a pickle?

I don't know what the correct action to take is here. Do I PM the Cmod and mention it, do I PM the user with a link to PI, or do I PM the mod in question and risk being moaned at about 'Telling a mod how to mod'

/dilema
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

**** answer tbh. Don't know how this place holds on to new users, with mods like that in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Pm the cat mod would be what I'd suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

yep. if you have an issue with a mod post or decision, the cmod is the person to contact or, you can PM the mod themselves and POLITELY outline your issue.

@IITYWYBMAD : I can honestly say from dealing with helpdesk posts, many of which are asking general stuff like "how do i get my cat out of my toaster before it goes on fire" and "how would you describe orange to a blind israeli" that I can understand the temptation to be less than friendly and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

LoLth wrote: »
    yep. if you have an issue with a mod post or decision, the cmod is the person to contact or, you can PM the mod themselves and POLITELY outline your issue.

@IITYWYBMAD : I can honestly say from dealing with helpdesk posts, many of which are asking general stuff like "how do i get my cat out of my toaster before it goes on fire" and "how would you describe orange to a blind israeli" that I can understand the temptation to be less than friendly and helpful.

Really? It takes as much binary to say f**k off you twat, as it does to say, wrong forum try here->...my 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Just PM the mod that locked the thread, most mods are quite reasonable and will move it to PI with a redirect.

If it was me I probably would have linked to the RL forum but mods are human too, that mod might have been caught on the bounce or been dealing with any amount of other crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

TheZohan wrote: »
    mods are human too

Oooooh right, Did not know that.....

I'll PM it Him now :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yeah that was a poopy answer, but just like everyone else in every position of some form or responsibilty anywhere, they can simply be having a bad day.

Personally wouldn't (and haven't, actually )take it the wrong way if someone says... "that was a little bit harsh imo" via pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

TheZohan wrote: »
    mods are human too, that mod might have been caught on the bounce or been dealing with any amount of other crap.

^This. So instead of tarring all mods with the same brush, there may be more to a comment such as that quoted above.

Another alternative to what LoLth said above is to report the post - CMods get copied on reported posts.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    ^This. So instead of tarring all mods with the same brush, there may be more to a comment such as that quoted above.

No tarring going on here, just wanted to know the correct course of action.

The thread title was mearly a cheap tactic to get it looked at quicker :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'd have been far less sympathetic to the same post. How hard is it to stop and think whether audio/video editing is the place to ask about your deadbeat boyfriend? It's not as if the forum was full of personal issues, or didn't have its own title in big letters at the top. Mollycoddle people and they'll just end up with a sense of entitlement, and they'll "Baaaaaaaaawwwww" all the harder when reality catches up with them.

On a side note, I sold my soul for some magic beans. They swiftly turned out not to be magical. At first I was angry, but then I realised souls don't exist and I got free beans. So I made a burrito instead. I think I came out ahead of the game.

EDIT: Damn, I just realised a better answer would have been "Yes, but we're not soldiers."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Tallon wrote: »
    The thread title was mearly a cheap tactic to get it looked at quicker

And I think it has worked. Damn you. :)
    Sarky wrote: »
    On a side note, I sold my soul for some magic beans. They swiftly turned out not to be magical. At first I was angry, but then I realised souls don't exist and I got free beans. So I made a burrito instead. I think I came out ahead of the game.

Report it to the Adverts mods for false advertising.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'd have been far less sympathetic to the same post. How hard is it to stop and think whether audio/video editing is the place to ask about your deadbeat boyfriend? It's not as if the forum was full of personal issues, or didn't have its own title in big letters at the top. Mollycoddle people and they'll just end up with a sense of entitlement, and they'll "Baaaaaaaaawwwww" all the harder when reality catches up with them.

Couldn't disagree more, to be honest.

People make mistakes when they are new. Maybe she clicked back or something by accident before she wrote the thread.

The above attitude actually kind of reminds me of when you're learning to drive, and have L plates up and make a mistake. There's always one person who is flashing their lights or on their horn.

How does this help anyone? It only stresses or even scares away the new guy. No one wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

I got a similiar response on a thread. first reply was okay but second poster a mod having thanked second post then added in two pence worth which I felt was un necessary especially given it was on a tv thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055886539

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Yes Mods definitely have a soul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I got a similiar response on a thread. first reply was okay but second poster a mod having thanked second post then added in two pence worth which I felt was un necessary especially given it was on a tv thread.

the person who suggested you move to another forum wasn't a TV mod. The second was, and locked the thread. I'm guessing in that case the TV mod was saying "yep, you got good advice there, that's why I'm locking the thread". If you felt that was them "getting their 2 pence in", it just goes to show, sometimes you're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What are you complaining about there? The second post was in no way rude, was verifying (as a mod of that forum) that the link and advice was correct, and was in no way similar to anything except helpfulness.

You are a lot of hard work to keep happy I'd say.

He wasn't adding his 2c, he was giving a reason as to why he was locking the thread since The Recliner isn't a mod of TV and doesn't have the power to lock it. I think it was necessary as people (incl me) don't like when threads are locked with no apparent reason why :)

EDIT: C-C-C-C-Combo breaker

He wasn't adding his 2c, he was giving a reason as to why he was locking the thread since The Recliner isn't a mod of TV and doesn't have the power to lock it. I think it was necessary as people (incl me) don't like when threads are locked with no apparent reason why :)

EDIT: C-C-C-C-Combo breaker
    Well to be fair OP posted in a thread that was totally un related so can understand why mod might have got a bit frustrated.
    Just go the impression that second reply to my post was a bit short.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's a bit of harmless fun, mountain out of a molehill tbh

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I remember a time where not bothering to look for a correct forum to post something in would get you a lot worse than a locked thread and a polite message to try elsewhere.

/goes to Music reviews forum to ask about spots on his willy...

• Advertisement

Well to be fair OP posted in a thread that was totally un related so can understand why mod might have got a bit frustrated.

Yeah but the key point is the word 'Newbie' ...... We were all there once

And mods should have a bit more relaxtitude to posts like that, IMO

Yeah but the key point is the word 'Newbie' ...... We were all there once

And mods should have a bit more relaxtitude to posts like that, IMO
    Sorry where did Mod use the word Newbie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

what are you talking about? Stop trying to score points.the point that tallon was making was clear - it honestly seems like maybe you have a problem understanding things on boards, with respect. Two examples in one thread where what was extremely clear to the majority was lost on you.

You should learn the difference between ' and "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Couldn't disagree more, to be honest.

People make mistakes when they are new. Maybe she clicked back or something by accident before she wrote the thread.

Well now she knows.
    The above attitude actually kind of reminds me of when you're learning to drive, and have L plates up and make a mistake. There's always one person who is flashing their lights or on their horn.

How does this help anyone? It only stresses or even scares away the new guy. No one wins.

Conversely, how will they even know it's a mistake if nobody mentions it? Learner makes mistake, all the friendly drivers don't flash their lights or beep. Learner can then think it's not a big deal, they'll keep doing it until they crash. Ok, that's a bit extreme, but people don't learn (or take far, FAR longer to learn) from mistakes if people don't call them out on it.

I understand what you mean, and you have a valid point, but since I'm a firm subscriber to the opposite, We'll probably never resolve this.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There is no difference.

Oh i see what you did there. Thing is I didnt use either

Well now she knows.
    And may not come back because of the attitude of the mods, having already been obviously going trough something in her personal life
    Conversely, how will they even know it's a mistake if nobody mentions it? Learner makes mistake, all the friendly drivers don't flash their lights or beep. Learner can then think it's not a big deal, they'll keep doing it until they crash. Ok, that's a bit extreme, but people don't learn (or take far, FAR longer to learn) from mistakes if people don't call them out on it.

Theres a huge difference between positive and negative feedback

"Relax on the clutch a bit" "Get your ****ing foot off the ****ing clutch"

See the difference?

• Advertisement

Oh i see what you did there. Thing is I didnt use either

lol, then you don't see........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement