Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICE broadband - what is happening?

• 21-04-2010 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Can someone please tell me what is happening to ICE.
    Do they still exist?
    Are they still providing any service?

Does anyone have contact numbers that will be answered ?

Cheers from one very frustrated Metalscrubber

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Can someone please tell me what is happening to ICE.
    Do they still exist?
    Are they still providing any service?

Does anyone have contact numbers that will be answered ?

Cheers from one very frustrated Metalscrubber

Ice is Dead Baby:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Tis unlike anyone will buy it either as it's not very good infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

On the ICE website and for some strange reason, in the "updates on Limerick" section is a notice from the Liquidator regarding the sale of the business etc.
    http://www.icebroadband.com/dev/content/view/66/64/ .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

watty wrote: »
    Tis unlike anyone will buy it either as it's not very good infrastructure.
    .....on top of that its market value is dipping every day. They should of kept it going as a business and had people answering the phones and engineers out working at least. If anything goes wrong now with any part of the network it its guaranteed not to be fixed. I can only imagine hundreds of subscribers everyday are leaving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭CCOLGAN

.....on top of that its market value is dipping every day. They should of kept it going as a business and had people answering the phones and engineers out working at least. If anything goes wrong now with any part of the network it its guaranteed not to be fixed. I can only imagine hundreds of subscribers everyday are leaving them.

If they can, some of us have no alternative for broadband...

• Advertisement

CCOLGAN wrote: »
    If they can, some of us have no alternative for broadband...

Same here?!?!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 JasonR16

They should of kept it going as a business and had people answering the phones and engineers out working at least.

They rarely answered the phone when it was IN business. I can't believe in 2010 I am going to have to go back to dialup as there is no alternative.

Believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fitzgooble

give it time little one, all will be well, incidentally i believe they have an excellent infrastructure. Should be an interesting few weeks ahead....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is the only way I can get BB aside from one of those lousy dongle thingys.
    No more early 24 or Fringe for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

A lot of people cant even get those 3G dongle things to work in their houses. Even in Dublin. 3G coverage is crap in this country too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

AARRRRGH wrote: »
    A lot of people cant even get those 3G dongle things to work in their houses. Even in Dublin. 3G coverage is crap in this country too.

Most of the coverage (and is what it is in Longwood) are listed as "outdoor coverage".

Am I seriously expected to only use my computer outside lol

JasonR16 wrote: »
    Most of the coverage (and is what it is in Longwood) are listed as "outdoor coverage".

Am I seriously expected to only use my computer outside lol

If it specfies "outdoor coverage" that just means its a crap signal. Cell breathing
    will then insure that you lose your 3G connection often and most of the time you will get as bad as dial-up on it, even outdoors, so dont bother.

kerbdog wrote: »

I would pay €5000 towards this in my area if it meant i would have 40 meg BB. Only another 30K needed now :)

I would pay €5000 towards this in my area if it meant i would have 40 meg BB. Only another 30K needed now :)

Assuming its 40k...Something tells me it wouldn't work the same way here as it does in the UK.

Would be interesting to know exactly what it would cost

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That idea is possible in Ireland , it is being discussed HERE

Longwood is close to 3 Significant Fibres

The BT Fibre under the old N6
    The New 'Canal' Fibre
    The Galway - Dublin Gas pipe will have dark fibre this year and Aurora Telecom will lease you some.

Seeing as Longwood is all soil and no rock you lot should consider universal fibre and bollix to eircom for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

fitzgooble wrote: »
    give it time little one, all will be well, incidentally i believe they have an excellent infrastructure. Should be an interesting few weeks ahead....

Their service was crap for the majority of users long before they stopped paying their bills.

By all accounts their infrastructure was lousy at best - I really don't think it's likely anyone will be foolish enough to take them over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 garfieldthedog

By all accounts their infrastructure was lousy at best - I really don't think it's likely anyone will be foolish enough to take them over.[/QUOTE]

I think the infrastructure was allright, and they have been taken over by Ripplecom who are backed by FBD insurance so things will get better:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Had some clown from 3 at my door yesterday to tell me that ICE were gone into liquidation.

We are getting in from Stradbally in Laois and it has been brilliant and still is.

Relatives in other parts of Laois were cut off last year, they are lost without it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Had some clown from 3 at my door yesterday to tell me that ICE were gone into liquidation.
    They were but the three numpty did not mention that they have been taken over by Ripplecom last week I bet.

http://siliconrepublic.com/news/article/16170/business/ripplecom-acquires-ice-broadband-assets

http://www.ripplecom.net/
    In addition to the customer base, the acquisition includes the entire Wireless Network Infrastructure of ICE located in 13 counties, (namely Dublin, Louth, Kildare, Wicklow, Monaghan, Carlow, Kilkenny, Westmeath, Offaly, Laois, Tipperary, Meath and Limerick) and key relationships with data centres and resilient fibre network providers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That idea is possible in Ireland , it is being discussed HERE

Longwood is close to 3 Significant Fibres

The BT Fibre under the old N6
    The New 'Canal' Fibre
    The Galway - Dublin Gas pipe will have dark fibre this year and Aurora Telecom will lease you some.

Seeing as Longwood is all soil and no rock you lot should consider universal fibre and bollix to eircom for ever.
    what does '3 significant fibres' mean??

are ICE absolutely no good at all??

i'm in longwood and currently on a 3 dongle (even though the whole 3 network is down in the area and i have no internet since saturday). i can only use it in one area of the house, soon as i attempt to move it the flashing green light comes on.

I already responded in the other ICE thread but to reiterate:
    I was always happy with the product, it was the service that was bad. They were bought by Ripplecom which may fix that.

For Longwood they are the best (and only as mobile from 3 is pretty bad) - If we had the choice between Eircom, UPC etc it would be different.

I average out around 1.5m on the 3m plan although you get below 1 on a Sunday night. Still fine for Skype and doing most things. Streaming video like the Sky Player really only works consistently very late at night or sometimes in the afternoon on those speeds but its still way better than a capped mobile solution.

To sumup, if you are in Longwood you are still way better off with ICE/Ripplewave than 3!!!

JasonR16 wrote: »
    I already responded in the other ICE thread but to reiterate:

To sumup, if you are in Longwood you are still way better off with ICE/Ripplewave than 3!!!
    thank you

just had the installers from ICE/Ripplecom here and i can't receive broadband from them because ironically enough, being in Longwood, there is a big piece of long wood in the shape of a big fekn tree that is in between my house and a mast.

longwood my hole. is there anything i can do about this pesky tree?? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

longwood my hole. is there anything i can do about this pesky tree?? :cool:

If it's your tree, cut it down. If it's not, get permission from the land owner to cut it down. Apart from that, the tree probably isn't going anywhere.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    If it's your tree, cut it down. If it's not, get permission from the land owner to cut it down. Apart from that, the tree probably isn't going anywhere.
    it isn't my tree. not sure who owns the land it's on to be honest. i must approach him and see if he'd be up for it coming down, or even trimmed back a fair bit. i have a mate who is a tree surgeon, so maybe we could strike up a deal which will eventually bring me some semi decent broadband

Advertisement