Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICE broadband - what is happening?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Even an owner may need a licence to cut down a tree. Seek Expert advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

watty wrote: »
    Even an owner may need a licence to cut down a tree. Seek Expert advice.
    nice one, thanks.
    is there any specific forum on here i could start with to seek that???

Ring the local council. They are the ones that issue a permit, if a permit is required.

Don't rely on Boards for everything :) Esp. not Legal or Medical advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

nice one, thanks.
    is there any specific forum on here i could start with to seek that???

If you want to cut down your own tree then cut it down. Dont tell anyone before cutting it down, because you might be sorry you did.

You might be sorry you didn't
    Penalties for illegal felling can be severe, ranging from fines of up to a maximum of €63.49 per tree to imprisonment for up to two years. In addition to any fine which may be imposed by the Court, the Minister may, by Order, require the person convicted to replant.

felling licence which will allow you to cut the trees, until you have it in your possession, all trees over ten years of age are protected

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1946/en/act/pub/0013/sec0037.html

Generally if there is nothing special about a tree, getting a Felling licence is easy.
    LEGAL REQUIREMENTS FOR TREE FELLING
    The Minister of State at the Department of Agriculture and Food, Mr John Browne TD, today reminded all concerned of the law applying to the felling of trees in Ireland. Under Section 37 of the Forestry Act, 1946, it is illegal to uproot any tree over ten years old or to cut down any tree, unless notice of the intention to do so has been given in accordance with the Act.

Notice of intention to fell or uproot trees must be given in writing on a form known as a Felling Notice which may be obtained from any Garda Station or directly from the Felling Section of the Forest Service. On receipt of a completed Felling Notice, an Order prohibiting the felling of the trees is issued. This protects the trees in question while consideration is given to the issuing of a felling licence.
    In 1989, the number of reported illegal felling cases was six. By 2002, this number had risen to 73. The figure for 2003 was 62 and for 2004, 60. There have been 50 cases in the current year, to date.

Minister Browne said: “Many of the cases coming to the notice of my officials involve small-scale felling of trees by farmers and developers. It is my belief that the number of cases could be reduced significantly if people knew more about the circumstances in which a felling licence is necessary.”
    The prohibition on the uprooting or cutting down of trees does not apply where:
    a) it is a hazel, apple, plum, damson, pear or cherry tree grown for the value of
    its fruit or any ozier[1];
    b) the activity is covered by a felling licence;
    c) it is less than 100 feet from a dwelling other than a wall or temporary structure;
    d) it is standing in a County or other Borough or an urban district.
    Other exceptions apply in the case of road construction, road safety and electricity supply operations.

Penalties for illegal felling can be severe, ranging from fines of up to a maximum of €63.49 per tree to imprisonment for up to two years. In addition to any fine which may be imposed by the Court, the Minister may, by Order, require the person convicted to replant.

Where there is any doubt as to the need for a felling licence or a need for clarification in relation to any aspect of this matter, contact should be made with the Forest Service - Felling Section, Department of Agriculture & Food, Johnstown Castle Estate, Co. Wexford; Tel: (053) 60170/60174/60175/60181, for advice.

29 August, 2005

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

this tree is older than me and that's saying something. it's big and bold enough to be getting in the way of a mast. i think it's actually in or on the border of the estate i live in, i'll have to go do some detective work on it's actual whereabouts.
    i don't intend on taking the big guy down altogether, just wanna strike an agreement with him and hope he can be brought down a bit and trimmed back, just enough to let me get rid of this fekn 3 dongle and get some half decent broadband so i can play online poker at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

this tree is older than me and that's saying something. it's big and bold enough to be getting in the way of a mast. i think it's actually in or on the border of the estate i live in, i'll have to go do some detective work on it's actual whereabouts.
    i don't intend on taking the big guy down altogether, just wanna strike an agreement with him and hope he can be brought down a bit and trimmed back, just enough to let me get rid of this fekn 3 dongle and get some half decent broadband so i can play online poker at least.

Its worth €63 on the off chance you get caught, against the chance you will be told to leave it alone. I doubt very much you'll go to jail :)

Advertisement