Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SJWicklow

Well you should have your actual TV license somewhere with the dates on it. Alternatively, find out how you paid for it? Did you use a credit card? You should have some bank statement or something somewhere to confirm payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

seagull wrote: »
    They'd get a letter stating I had no TV between the expiry and the renewal, and it's up to them to prove otherwise. If they are unable to prove it, I'm sticking with the original expiry date.

If you were brought to court and asked under oath if what you said in the letter was true what would you answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

leedsfan88 wrote: »
    I don't know that's what i said, but the license name has changed from my mother to me since the last license

Did your mum get a Free TV Licence under the Social Welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you were brought to court and asked under oath if what you said in the letter was true what would you answer?

Why should it be up to them to prove what they had? It's An Post who are prosecuting so they should have to provide proof the they had a TV not the other way around.

Even if they did lie under oath, the only way they could be caught out is if An Post provided evidence that they did have a device capable of receiving a TV signal. How are An Post supposed to get that?

Del2005 wrote: »
    Why should it be up to them to prove what they had? It's An Post who are prosecuting so they should have to provide proof the they had a TV not the other way around.

Even if they did lie under oath, the only way they could be caught out is if An Post provided evidence that they did have a device capable of receiving a TV signal. How are An Post supposed to get that?

We were living in our house for about 3 years or so with no licence - anyway the tv broke down and we hadn't a pot to pee in - so him indoors went down to the ESB shop (I know there all closed now) and got an interest free tv on the bill - which was heaven. Anyway about eight weeks later the man knocked looking for the licence. I've always had an inkling that An Post were able to get hold of records of who was buying a tv and were then able to look up on a system whether or not a licence was held there.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »

So now we have licence evasion, making a false declaration in writing and perjury. Courts of law are serious places and I would advise the OP not to follow this course of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Cabaal wrote: »
    Ifb you have a license in date don't go buying a new one, what I would do is record the next call you make where they suggest you do then I'd leave it go to court and produce the valid license and the recording.

The recording showed you made them aware of the issue but they failed to resolve it and wasted the courts time bringing it to court, I'd then seek costs for a lost day of work as well as transport as you had to go to court.
    IANAL but IIRC you have to advise them that you are recording the call if you are looking to use it in court, and they are within their rights to ask you to stop.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

IANAL but IIRC you have to advise them that you are recording the call if you are looking to use it in court, and they are within their rights to ask you to stop.

Yes by right you do have to inform them alright,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

We were living in our house for about 3 years or so with no licence - anyway the tv broke down and we hadn't a pot to pee in - so him indoors went down to the ESB shop (I know there all closed now) and got an interest free tv on the bill - which was heaven. Anyway about eight weeks later the man knocked looking for the licence. I've always had an inkling that An Post were able to get hold of records of who was buying a tv and were then able to look up on a system whether or not a licence was held there.
    by law if you are a retailer selling the equipment that a license is required for you are obliged to provide the licensing authority with lists of your customers, all tv shops must send lists of addressess of anyone that buys a tv or vcr or other receiving equipment covered by the licensing laws

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Cabaal wrote: »
    Yes by right you do have to inform them alright,

Just say it so quickly at the beginning of the call like most CSRs and then you are covered.

@ foggy_lad: Just don't give them a real address, warrenty is through the receipt anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    by law if you are a retailer selling the equipment that a license is required for you are obliged to provide the licensing authority with lists of your customers, all tv shops must send lists of addressess of anyone that buys a tv or vcr or other receiving equipment covered by the licensing laws

So how does a retailer do this if someone refuses to give their name and address?

Curry's would use the 'its for your guarantee' excuse to get your name and address rather then telling you it was to pass to the licensing authority but my answer would always be 'my receipt is the guarantee, I'm not giving you my name and address'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I've often toyed with the idea of writing to them and telling them that I simply can't afford to renew my licence. Then ask them what I should do? Should I arrange to have a neighbour or relative mind my tv until I can renew the licence? Should I sell the tv etc? :D

Never did it though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Never give them a real name.

In the UK I always give them Gerry Adams, 1 Falls Road, Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Hey i've just got an notice of legal proceedings about my TV License,

My TV License is in date until August 2010, and i just rang them up and they said they made a mistake and i need to purchase one, or else face a day in court.

The License was purchased September 2009 and valid until August 2010.

What can i do? Can they make me pay to fine even tho its in date?

??/??? TV licences run from Jan to Dec. If you buy in August it expired in Dec. .... you have to buy a new one for each calendar year.

Your wrong!

They run for until the end of the 11th month after the month of issue.

@ foggy_lad: Just don't give them a real address, warrenty is through the receipt anyway
    when something goes wrong the shop will refuse to deal with you as you will not be the original purchaser and therefore will not have any statutory rights, many manufacturers also have a clause where they will only deal with the original purchaser for warrenty issues.

as for refusing to give a name and address afaik the shop must refuse to sell to you unless they get your name and address, they must provide details for every tv/vcr sold and saying it is for warrenty purposes is only to soften the blow as if they said it was to inform the licensing authority people would not shop there again:)

easiest way out of it is to buy/get a free tv off adverts:D

foggy_lad wrote: »

I vaguely remember a case a few years back involving Cablelink (NTL now) and they were not allowed to give names / addresses of customers....however I'm not sure what the case is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

deelite wrote: »
    I vaguely remember a case a few years back involving Cablelink (NTL now) and they were not allowed to give names / addresses of customers....however I'm not sure what the case is now.

I had a television in the house in Dublin that I used for DVDs for about 5 years and no license. Upgraded the telly and got in NTL(and bought a license). 2 weeks after the NTL was installed I got a document from An Post asking me to declare whether or not I had a television, and a license inspector called round to the house twice. I missed him the first time, the second time I was in and showed him the license and he went away.

I think An Post put the squeeze on NTL a few years ago.

I'd love to sign up for a cable connection and not have a television and wait to be fined and then sue both NTL for giving out my details, and An Post for wrongful doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Hey i've just got an notice of legal proceedings about my TV License,

My TV License is in date until August 2010, and i just rang them up and they said they made a mistake and i need to purchase one, or else face a day in court.

The License was purchased September 2009 and valid until August 2010.

What can i do? Can they make me pay to fine even tho its in date?

Back to the OP - you got notice of legal proceedings - not a summons.

These notices are sent out like confetti at a wedding.

You rang them and they accepted that there was a mistake. Probably best to write to them with the licence number and that will be the end of it.

Over on the Satellite forums if you were even to hint at ways and means to avoid paying for Sky, Setanta etc you would be told you were stealing and could be banned. Here it seems OK to suggest ways and means to evade paying your TV licence. This is not aimed at the OP btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

1. NTL/Chorus/UPC hand over the list to the Department of Communications/An Post. This is perfectly legitimate.

2. Retailers are obliged to keep a list. However, at some point, the Department of Communications found it could not efficiently deal with the address information from retailers. So they don't actually collect the information from retailers. I cannot remember my source for this fact. Obviously this situation could change at any time, so you should not rely upon it.

1. NTL/Chorus/UPC hand over the list to the Department of Communications/An Post. This is perfectly legitimate.
    Under what statute is this being done?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

the wireless telegraphy acts 1926 and 72 have it all.

But wait, i am wrong, according to this.

http://www.audgen.gov.ie/documents/vfmreports/47_TVLicence.pdf

this is also the source for my comment about dealer information.

2.35 Notifications from television dealers was one of the ways traditionally used for identifying licensable properties. Television dealers in Ireland are required by law to notify An Post of each transaction for the sale or rental of a television, and to provide full details of the purchaser or renter. However, enforcement of this process was discontinued because An Post felt that the data being provided was unreliable or unusable.
    2.37 There is no obligation on cable television service suppliers to inform An Post of the names and addresses of persons availing of their services. In September 2003, there were an estimated 562,000 subscribers to cable/MMDS service providers.

Says it all really.

i always thought they acted like chorus with their advertising letters addresses to the occupier that once the licensing section have your address in their database as once having a television they just send out reminders and threatening letters forever until they eventually get an inspector to call.

Advertisement