Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition to Barry Andrews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭trixy

Only posting to keep this on top of forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I'm not sure about the 'automatic access to birth certificates and adoption files'.

Are you suggesting every adopted person be given full access once over 18? I would agree with complete and speedy facilitation by a properly trained secular professional - I'm just not sure automatic unassisted access would be to everyone's advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭trixy

Hi Efla
    The petition is not run by me, I have posted as a favour for another Group. We are not suggesting anything other than those who are adopted are entitled to their file if they want it. This is the case in most European Countries, there are 50,000 people who cannot get the information that is THEIRS, people have a right to know who they are.

There wouldn't be that many issues if the non identifying informatio given was correct but in most cases the Social Workers have given incorrect information.

All walks of life are entitled to Information under the Freedom of Informatio Act except adopted people, there is a clause excluding us. Me and everyone else are sick of being treated as 2nd Class citizens.

There will be people who are against this and these people are the very ones who have created all the heartbreaking stories I hear on a regular basis.

Hoping you change your mind and sign the petition if not for you but for those who do want their information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

trixy wrote: »
    Hi Efla
    The petition is not run by me, I have posted as a favour for another Group. We are not suggesting anything other than those who are adopted are entitled to their file if they want it. This is the case in most European Countries, there are 50,000 people who cannot get the information that is THEIRS, people have a right to know who they are.

Absolutely, I spent three years back-and-forthing between agencies and archives
    There wouldn't be that many issues if the non identifying informatio given was correct but in most cases the Social Workers have given incorrect information.

This is my main concern - there needs to be appropriate dialogue between relevant departments if this is going to work in our favour. Legislating for inclusion under FOI still leaves us with the same (IMO fundamentally broken) system of post-placement support.
    All walks of life are entitled to Information under the Freedom of Informatio Act except adopted people, there is a clause excluding us. Me and everyone else are sick of being treated as 2nd Class citizens.

It is probably an impossible situation - an unambiguous legal framework for appropriate support for all parties to the adoption is unlikely, given the complexity of the field, and the specificities of each case.

I am sorry - this is really not helping you at all (my comments), but with my own hindsight, my ideal scenario for my own search and reunion would have been a precedent of complete disclosure within an appropriately co-ordinated support system.
    There will be people who are against this and these people are the very ones who have created all the heartbreaking stories I hear on a regular basis.

Hoping you change your mind and sign the petition if not for you but for those who do want their information.

Dont get me wrong, I signed! I agree in full with everything, just with a few modifications

Advertisement