Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent negotiation...

Options
  • 21-04-2010 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

I've been looking around for a nice one-bed apartment for myself the last couple of weeks, and I've found a lovely place that ticks most of the boxes I had been looking for, and some more besides. I could really see myself living there and am delighted with the find... only thing is the rent is advertised at €1000.

I know that all rents these days are negotiable, just wondering what's your opinion on HOW negotiable? I would love to pay 700, would settle for 800 - do you think going in with 700 as a first offer is just plain cheeky??? The landlord (who did the viewing) said himself he's not fussed on any particular rent figure, he just wants someone reliable and who'll stay for the year - I would like to ask for a get-out clause in the lease at 6 months just in case, but my intention is to live there in the long term, plus I have a secure job and good references from my employer and previous landlords. So really, I'm everything he's looking for! :p

What should my next move be??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

If I was you I would offer 850 and IF you stay a year get a signed agreement that the rent should go down to 800

you would need to build up trust with the landlord for rent to go down so much

Example

2 years ago I was paying 1050 a month for my rent
    Last year I was paying 950
    and this year i am paying 800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It depends on demand in the area also on how low you can go. If there are other apts still on offer in the area with similar or near to spec of your chosen one, you can play ball bidding what you want on each.

However, if one of two apts just come up in a high density area and are quickly let, you won't have much bargaining power as there will be other people willing to pay more than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

jmcwobbles wrote: »
    I've been looking around for a nice one-bed apartment for myself the last couple of weeks, and I've found a lovely place that ticks most of the boxes I had been looking for, and some more besides. I could really see myself living there and am delighted with the find... only thing is the rent is advertised at €1000.

I know that all rents these days are negotiable, just wondering what's your opinion on HOW negotiable? I would love to pay 700, would settle for 800 - do you think going in with 700 as a first offer is just plain cheeky??? The landlord (who did the viewing) said himself he's not fussed on any particular rent figure, he just wants someone reliable and who'll stay for the year - I would like to ask for a get-out clause in the lease at 6 months just in case, but my intention is to live there in the long term, plus I have a secure job and good references from my employer and previous landlords. So really, I'm everything he's looking for! :p

What should my next move be??

Can I ask, what you not be willing to move in with other people, you'd save yourself quite a bit of money each month. Last month I got my monthly rent reduced from €450 to €400 per month, told my landlord that there were places in the local area going for €380, we compromised at €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

No I wouldn't live with other people - I'm just coming out of a breakup and have lived with my ex for the last 5 years, I just couldn't handle the thought of living with anyone else, I really need to have my own place.

There are another couple of apartments in the area, one in the same complex, two in another complex right next door - all advertised at 1000 though. I don't know how long they've all been on the market - is there no way to tell on Daft, rather than just seeing the date last updated?? They're all updating every day to bump up on the list...

I like the idea of getting a guarantee for reduced rent in the future but my main concern is getting the rent down as much as possible now... not sure if it's a bit demanding not only asking for 200 off the asking price but then asking for even more off down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

is there no way to tell on Daft, rather than just seeing the date last updated?? They're all updating every day to bump up on the list...

Install the property bee plugin from http://www.property-bee.com/ into firefox.

That will show you the complete modification listing of any postings on daft.ie

So you can see how long they've been up, and if there's been any price changes.

1000 euro a month seems too much to me for an apartment.
    Significantly too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

If your landlord said he's not fussed on the rent and wants someone long term then I'd suggest the €800 and go for a years lease. Do you really need the get out clause at 6 months? It would put a mark against you if the landlord has said he wants someone long term. 6 months flies by, you probably wont want to do the whole move again that soon.

Forget about getting a guaranteed reduction in a year. You can discuss that when the time comes, if the market gets worse then you'll most likely be entitled to a reduction and your landlord will know that based on demand in the area. You can always move elsewhere after your year if your landlord wont reduce the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

quozl wrote: »

1000 euro a month seems too much to me for an apartment.
    Significantly too much.

For a 1 bed, definitely.

I pay that for a brand new, large 2 bed, en-suite, full bathroom, large kitchen & dining room,large sitting room, Duplex.

For a 1 bed apt I wouldn't even consider over 750 these days.

Thanks for the advice guys, I've left him a voicemail saying I'd be interested and to give me a call back - no word yet. He does know that I was viewing a big number of apartments (I saw 8 yesterday!) so he shouldn't think I'm desperate for his one and would pay anything for it - even though I am and I would!! :)

Cathooo thanks, yeah you're probably right about the get out clause - I was more thinking just in case there's something I don't know or something comes up with dodgy neighbours or anything I'd like to have the option to leave if I need to - as a last resort though as I do hate the idea of packing and moving again!! It probably would count as a black mark alright so maybe I'll just leave that one and concentrate on the rent.

I also would like to ask him if I can start rent on the 1st May - do you think he'd go for that? I would be happy to pay the deposit and sign the lease right now but my notice period where I'm living now isn't up until the 7th and I don't get paid til the last working day of the month so I'd like to wait until the 1st before starting the rent and actually moving...

quozl thanks a mil for the plug in - I don't have Firefox in work but I'll check it out when I get home :)

Oooooh just missed a call from him and his voicemail says that the couple who came to see it after me are interested too... Dang!!

Oooooh just missed a call from him and his voicemail says that the couple who came to see it after me are interested too... Dang!!

Thats just a tactic to get you back!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

Thats just a tactic to get you back!! ;)

its definately a tactic, dont fall for it, I pay 800 pm for a 2 bed/2 bath duplex in a very nice area. defo wouldnt go over 750 mark; stick to your guns

Well I have to stick to my guns really, I can't afford more than 800 and that's that. I'll just have to offer 700, stay at 800 and hope and pray that this "couple" really is fictional!! We're still playing phone tag at the moment so haven't actually spoken to him yet

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What are the similar prices in the area and how quickly are they moving?

I just recently signed for a new lease. Now perhaps I should have negotiated but I didn't - by comparison to other properties in the area, it was well priced (a similar property nearby is going for €200 more per month - or at least that's what they hope for...).

Well I saw 4 one-bed apartments very close to each other (including this one) - one in the same complex and two in the next complex over - all of them advertised at 1000 though which is a worry - even though they'd never get it. Any of the other 3 would be alright too - but this was the only one that literally has everything I'm looking for.

Still no word back aaargh I have butterflies!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well I saw 4 one-bed apartments very close to each other (including this one) - one in the same complex and two in the next complex over - all of them advertised at 1000 though which is a worry - even though they'd never get it. Any of the other 3 would be alright too - but this was the only one that literally has everything I'm looking for.
    I understand! I saw 3 places all in the same price range. The difference in what I got for the one I went with versus the others was large. Perhaps I should have negotiated myself but, given it was 200pm less than a very similar one (judging by the daft.ie ad), I'm thinking that maybe this landlord was being realistic. Of course I could be wrong...

Still no word back aaargh I have butterflies!
    I got that too plus the "there's another couple interested". Never heard any more about them once I got my references in....

Just spoke to him - I said considering I'm on my own and that there are no bills etc included in the rent as there are in other places, my initial budget would be around the 700-750 mark. He said that was a big drop and that the other couple have offered 950. I said there's no way I could match 950 on my own, and wished him the best of luck. I added that I would be willing to negotiate a bit more but I couldn't match 950 - but if anything with the other couple falls through to give me a call.

Boo :(

Just spoke to him - I said considering I'm on my own and that there are no bills etc included in the rent as there are in other places, my initial budget would be around the 700-750 mark. He said that was a big drop and that the other couple have offered 950. I said there's no way I could match 950 on my own, and wished him the best of luck. I added that I would be willing to negotiate a bit more but I couldn't match 950 - but if anything with the other couple falls through to give me a call.

Boo :(

Stand your ground. Its a renters market, landlords cannot justify commanding stupidly high rents these days.

If that other couple want to spend that much on a 1 bed, let them be the fools, not you.

I'm sure there are plenty more suitable properties you could look at, and for cheaper too.

Best of luck - but play hardball with the landlords.

I am kinda kicking myself now for not trying to begotiate a bit more - as soon as I heard 950 I just ran for the hills - although I was sure to tell him I would have been willing to negotiate more and to give me a call so I suppose if they are fictional I'll hear from him. I should have tried harder on the phone though - God I just panicked. The power of hindsight!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

You did well, don't be kicking yourself.

If that couple are real then he'd naturally go for the higher offer. If they arent then he'll be back to you, stick to your budget. If he comes back then 950 never existed. Offer 750 again as you already stretching your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Myself and the missus have spent the last month looking around at places... We found a great place just over a month ago and got €150 of the asking price, we where ready to sign the lease n the landlord kicked up a fuss cause we both drove commercial vehicles(quite odd I thought) Anyways, missus was gutted at the time, since then we've viewed a good few more places, all cheaper, better locations and much bigger... I'd have been gutted if we'd have gone with the first place we saw...

Keep on looking around, there's loads n loads of places to choose from...

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, yeah I am holding out a small bit of hope that he'll call again today or tomorrow... Keep your fingers crossed!

I have seen about 15 places in the last week and most are nice enough, I could live in any of them, and could get cheaper rent - but this one literally had all the boxes ticked - mainly including both a bath and a big fridge freezer (I hate those little icebox things in small fridges). Both hard to find in one-bed apartments, let alone finding both together!

I am sick of looking but I guess I'll just have to keep going, just got a call there from another agent for another viewing tomorrow evening so maybe THIS will be the perfect place ;)

If you don;t mind me asking, what area/location are you looking in?

Well... mainly around the Ballsbridge, Donnybrook, Ranelagh area, with a couple in D2 as well - and yes I know this is why the rents are advertised at these prices! :p But I have seen a good few ranging from 700-1000 which are all nice enough and all negotiable. Just none that have literally everything I'm looking for...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

This is of interest to me. I'm looking for a one bed myself. I'd pay €700-€750 max, can't really afford anymore. I've been looking Daft for months and it's amazing how many places are just sitting there for weeks, nothing doing. The owners must be mad because they're losing money all the time, they'd be better to accept €200 lower than the asking price and just rent it out.

Keep us posted and let us know how you're getting on, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I've been out of the rental market for a while because I was happy in the place I'm in. But I want to move to different area. I can get work and landlord references no problem, do they look for any other references?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

Emme wrote: »
    I've been out of the rental market for a while because I was happy in the place I'm in. But I want to move to different area. I can get work and landlord references no problem, do they look for any other references?

Hi Emme,

It depends on the landlord - some dont ask for refs at all and will judge you by meeting you. But normally if they require refs its would be from an old landlord & work - no more should be required.

If ya dont mind me asking where are you looking to move to?

Hey guys that landlord took the ad off Daft this morning, so I guess the other couple really did exist!! Oh well, win some lose some... I have another viewing tonight which hopefully will go well - otherwise the hunt continues!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Hey guys that landlord took the ad off Daft this morning, so I guess the other couple really did exist!! Oh well, win some lose some... I have another viewing tonight which hopefully will go well - otherwise the hunt continues!!

Ooh, sorry to hear that J. :( It's such a cutthroat market out there now that it's hard to know if someone's playing hardball or not.

Advertisement