Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of date beer!

• 21-04-2010 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Morning All,

Found a stash out in the shed & was just wondering would you have any issue with consuming Heineken long necks expired since May 2009? Carlsbersg tins expired since July 2009? Stella Artois long necks expired since Jan 2010?

Shame to waste in these recessionary times!:o
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

I'd imagine it wouldn't taste the best. I drank 2 month old Guinness and Carlsberg and there was a bit of a tang off them and I was told I'd be dead by the morning but I was grand. :D We also got our hands on half full kegs of Carlsberg when my friends dad bought a pub to renovate it. God knows how old they were!

Then again, I wouldn't advise it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

they mightnt taste great.. but it shouldnt kill you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I drank a crate of 6 month out of date Guinness..they were hit and miss taste wise (some of the widgets didn't activate) but they were grand...did the job with no unexpected adverse effects..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I bought a load of out of date bottles of german lager and about half of them had no fizz. I dumped the ones without fizz, the rest were fine.

Suck it and see.

high abv beers will last for ages, and even continue to increase in alcohol content over time ie duvel

(So they told me at morgatte)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,567 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'm working my way through a case of cherry beer at the moment with a best before of June 2008! Ain't killed me yet!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

pa990 wrote: »
    high abv beers will last for ages, and even continue to increase in alcohol content over time ie duvel
    Only if there's live yeast in them. Your can of Bavaria 8.6 will still be 8.6% ABV after a few years.

And low ABV beers, if bottle-conditioned, will increase slightly in strength too, though they're not going to age as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

I drank a bottle of guinness that was best before Sept 1996 in 2007. Didn't do me any harm. I was after a few so cant tell you if it tasted off!

BeerNut wrote: »
    Only if there's live yeast in them. Your can of Bavaria 8.6 will still be 8.6% ABV after a few years.

And low ABV beers, if bottle-conditioned, will increase slightly in strength too, though they're not going to age as well.

Oop's... I forgot to mention the live yeast bit.

Which reminds me.. I made a beer box in may last year.. I wonder should i crack it open, or leave it till may 2011

Advertisement