Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cycling to dance halls in the 60's

• 21-04-2010 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Help!

I'm finishing a higher diploma course and am making a programme for its completion and I'm looking for any photos of large groups of people on bicycles in the 60's going to/outside dancehalls.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

If you do a search of the Kennelly Archives you should be able to find a few has a pile of old photos in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 dancemaire

Thanks CheGuedara really appreciate the help.

No luck in the Kennelly archive for groups of people going to the dancehalls in the 1960's so would anyone have any photos of a group/groups of people on bicycles in the 1960's. (Must be with overcoats or dressed up a bit - ie that we could imagine they are going to a dance hall)

Thanks !

So very specific

Must be 1960s, on a bicycle, going to a dance, dressed up or wearing an overcoat- what kind of higher diploma is this?! H.Dip in obscure vintage photography?!:D

In anycase these look like they would do the job

morecambe-and-wise-june-1963-cycling-around-blackpool.jpg

kilcock-1940-small.jpg?w=425

weekend-trip-bags-on-the-back-small.jpg?w=425

...could totally be going to a dance

(thats CheGuedara, not Che Guedara when doing the acknowledgements :D)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,304 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Don't think the Morecambe and Wise one works - the shadows suggest it was taken around lunchtime:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Beasty wrote: »
    Don't think the Morecambe and Wise one works - the shadows suggest it was taken around lunchtime:D
    Easily changed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I also doubt there were Lingerie shops in Ireland in the 60s.

Beasty wrote: »

Could be heading to the gig early!
    I also doubt there were Lingerie shops in Ireland in the 60s.

But there is photoshop in Ireland in 2010!

Asked around actually and the consensus is that you might be looking for something that might not exist: fewer would have probably cycled to a dance after the mid-50s as cars became more popular and affordable.

Thanks all !

The overcoats - not necessary !

Just a group of people (girls and guys) cycling that could look like they're going to a dance in the 60's.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dancemaire wrote: »
    Thanks all !

The overcoats - not necessary !

Just a group of people (girls and guys) cycling that could look like they're going to a dance in the 60's.

Just talking to my Dad and he tells me that it was incredibly rare to cycle to a dance in the 60s, Everyone in the midlands had access to cars back then. A few lads did but not many.

• Advertisement

Thanks all again.

Either the 1950's or 1960's - the dancing went on for a while !

Hi,can anyone help with photos in the 1950's of a few people or groups who look like they're going out dancing to a dancehall.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Are ya dancin'?
    Are ya askin'?
    I'm askin'...
    Away so! Hup ya boy ya!

BustersbikeslutAshley.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

I should probably add a few explanatory lines.

I'm almost certain that the photo is American, or possibly Canadian. It's from a Canadian friend of mine, Ashley, who doesn't know the people in the picture. Her grandmother thinks the girl is one of "Buster's sluts"- Buster being Ashley's grandad, a man with quite the eye for the ladies, according to grandma. That's not Buster in the photo, though.

I do think that if you put him in a tweed jacket and changed the background architecture from the Mitteleuropean derivative pictured to something more thatchy, the scene could be straight out of the Emerald Isle, to be sure.

At a guess, I'd say it's early 1950s?

(I don't know what you need them for, dancemaire, but I'm guessing that I'd need to check with Ashley before it could be used. Let me know if you think it might suit your needs.)

Advertisement