Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speeds

Options
  • 21-04-2010 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Just wondering if anyone knows do broadband suppliers have an obligation to provide a minimum level of service? I'm not so naive as to expect that speeds will run at what they advertise (those being the maximum possible I understand) but mine is woefully slow, consistently.

789359708.png

This was my speed this morning. I don't download any large files, simply used for emails, general browsing as part of my business but it's getting so bad that it's taking ages for a page to open. Not great when a customer is standing in front of me waiting for what I'm trying to show them on the webpage. (I run a shop)

I'm using O2 mobile broadband btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

wtf. thats not broadband, midband or even narrow band, its ****e.

HSPDA / 3G is not really suitable for how its being marketed. It's distance dependent also if too many people inside your area your performance will drop off. In your case it seems like you are on the edge of a cell and everyone closer to the mast gets better performance. There is little you can do apart from try different areas in the house.

What signal strength do you get? Do you get on the full 3G speed or the lower speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

0.06MB is chronic... not worth paying for IMO and definetly worth taking up with your supplier. You could get close to these sort of speeds on dial-up back in the day.

I do have issues with these USB dongles and the way they're marketed... there's no guarantee whatsoever that you'll get a decent service with them. It really boils down to your location more than most things.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

First problem is O2 MOBILE Broadband is not Broadband, affectively the best course of action is to get out of contract and cancel and try another provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Unfortunately I can't move it. It's plugged into the PC under the shop counter. Is it worth getting on to O2 or will they likely fob me off? Currently the signal is 0-17% on EDGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Chiorino wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't move it. It's plugged into the PC under the shop counter. Is it worth getting on to O2 or will they likely fob me off? Currently the signal is 0-17% on EDGE.

EDGE is an extension of 2G so max is around 12-15 kBytes per sec. (dont have exact figures).

Any chance you can run an extension cable and put the modem as close to window as possible. If you can get onto 3G you might see a moderate improvement. There is nothing that O2 can do for you but they may let you cancel contract based on your performance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Currently the signal is 0-17% on EDGE.

If its edge then either your out of range of a 3G signal or there is no 3G signal in your area, you'll likely not get it improved much more as edge isn't exactly lightning fast to begin with.

O2 at the very least will require you to move the USB dongle to another location in your home to test if signal improves, you'll of course need it connected to a pc to test this :)

Have you checked what the coverage on the O2 site says for your area?

Have you checked what the coverage on the O2 site says for your area?[/QUOTE]

I'm trying but the it's taken me about ten minutes to just get the o2 homepage opened!!:rolleyes:

Have you checked what the coverage on the O2 site says for your area?

I'm trying but the it's taken me about ten minutes to just get the o2 homepage opened!!:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Whats the rough area your in, I can load it zoom in on the area and post a screenshot if you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Definitely rubbish speeds.

I think that all of the Broadband providers use the proviso "up to" when they talk about speeds, presumably so they can wriggle out of any action against them, but where the line is drawn, God knows.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm trying but the it's taken me about ten minutes to just get the o2 homepage opened!!:rolleyes:

Whats the rough area your in, I can load it zoom in on the area and post a screenshot if you like?[/QUOTE]

I'm in Turvey, Donabate, Co. Dublin. Since my last post I've still not been able to get the coverage map opened. The page just keeps timing out.

• Advertisement

Seems coverage is "supposed" to be decent, I would say it could be due to either one or some of the following

- Over subscription to the service in your area (this is especially the case if it used to work fine)
    - Construction of your home hampering coverage
    - Construction of the counter or room affecting signal

Only way of ruling out your house and items in it causing the issue is perhaps move outside with the dongle and a laptop, if its still crap its likely over subscription of the service in your area which is unlikely to be fixed anytime soon.

o2bbmap.jpg

If your in the yellow area then signal is likely also going to be worse especially if its over subscriped.

Advertisement