Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League semi-final first leg: Bayern Munich v Lyon 19.45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Thought Robben had insulted his hair...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Ush1 wrote: »
    Conclusive, travel by bus = play ****e.
    Hope you are sticking to that tomorrow night so if things go pear shaped for us ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Hope you are sticking to that tomorrow night so if things go pear shaped for us ;)

Nah we'll just blame Lucas instead as usual!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

has to be one of worse semi finals of seen for along time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Gouvut really should of started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Pfft we've the best since Christmas
    really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

really?

Yeah they do.

Shocking isn't it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Good oul Bill... fish n' chips!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Paint's dry...oh and the game is over too :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nothing decided tonight. But the lack of an away goal for Lyon gives Bayern a solid advantage imo.

This was brutal, boring boring stuff. 2 of the 4 best sides in Europe?? Hard to see how on this game, but hopefully 2nd leg will pick it up and prove us wrong. That was like a Wolves/Stoke game or something...just horrible :(

Good oul Bill... fish n' chips!!
    Ha ha. Bayern walked to Berlin and back to even the score. Good one gilesie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Anyone hear bill "sliting there wrists watching that" [man u]

Ha ha. Munich walked to Berlin and back to even the score. Good one gilesie :D

And Bill again.. "Man Utd will be slitting their wrists watching that one."

"I wouldn't go that far Bill" (Giles)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Stevecw wrote: »
    This was brutal, boring boring stuff. 2 of the 4 best sides in Europe?? Hard to see how on this game, but hopefully 2nd leg will pick it up and prove us wrong. That was like a Wolves/Stoke game or something...just horrible :(

It's a European Cup semi-final..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Nothing decided tonight. But the lack of an away goal for Lyon gives Bayern a solid advantage imo.

Agreed, 1-0 at home in the first leg is a great lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Lyon may well regret not getting the away goal. The sending off was harsh, but even with 11, they weren't threatening Bayern. Sets it up nicely for the return anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

What an awful match. Lyon were never in it and looked wrecked. I think the bus journeys definitely had some effect on the 2 away teams this week though. 2 home wins tomorrow night so.

dfx- wrote: »
    It's a European Cup semi-final..

Em yeah I realise that...thats why I said 2 of the 4 best sides in Europe. Hence 2 of the "European Cup" semi finalists.
    It was still crap stuff, they did well in earlier rounds, but c'mon u have to admit that was shocking standard tonight.

ill jump the gun here and say bayern are more or less through. That lyon side will concede goals. For me lyon had to score tonight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Terrible match. Hard to believe both of these teams got this far. But, the worst part is both teams deserve to be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Did Giles REALLY just ask if Lyon were the first ever French team in the semis?! :eek: Up your game man ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bill 'First French team in the semi finals'

Er no Bill; didn't Monaco get to the final not so long ago?

Ronnie 'Graeme Souness would have taken that game by the scruff of the neck'

Possibly not Ronnie; he's 56 ffs.

Panel are gas. Monaco got to the final in 04 and Marseille won it in 93.

It's only 358 miles from Lyon to Munich. Hardly a killer if all your doing is sitting on a bus & playing cards.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Lyon may well regret not getting the away goal.
    I'd say they'll regret barely leaving their half all match first.

Anyone think Lloris was disappointing for the goal? Took a deflection alright but the ball was already swerving away from the keeper, his positioning seemed rather poor.

Did Giles REALLY just ask if Lyon were the first ever French team in the semis?! :eek: Up your game man ffs.
    He was right technically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

He was right technically.

Monaco being from Monaco.

Marseille being disqualified and stripped of it.

;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Oh, and that game was a real **** on a stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Woeful shíte match... Bayern deserved to win... But my God... Barca/Inter have to be watching that and laughing their arses off...

Panel need to get with it too... No French team in semis in CL before??? Sure Monaco were in final in '04 (or do they want to get pedantic and say Monaco aren't French, being an independent principality??? But they play in Ligue 1!!!!!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Stevecw wrote: »
    Em yeah I realise that...thats why I said 2 of the 4 best sides in Europe. Hence 2 of the "European Cup" semi finalists.
    It was still crap stuff, they did well in earlier rounds, but c'mon u have to admit that was shocking standard tonight.

There's very few entertaining semi-finals of any competition including the premier competition..especially the first leg. Chelsea/Liverpools, Utd/Barcelonas of the recent past included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Was a bad semi-final. Couldn't believe how poor the forwards were. Final pass was horrible.
    But yet Bayern controlled the game and did what they had to do. It's what champion sides do. They see an awful match through and come out winners somehow.

Anyone who thinks inter/barca is going to stroll past the winner of this tie doesn't understand the dynamics of football matches good or bad.

Ush1 wrote: »
    How's that exactly?
    Since the competition was re formatted. Thinks thats what Giles was referring to

bambi on ice :D

Headshot wrote: »
    bambi on ice :D
    Yeah Giles on form tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Typical Germans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

cson wrote: »

Marseille being disqualified and stripped of it.

I didn't think that they were stripped of it, just banned from defending it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Since the competition was re formatted. Thinks thats what Giles was referring to

Since it was formatted, both Monaco and Marseille have reached the final

I love Giles and Dunphy :pac:

And Bill the troll of course..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

How many times has Dunphy said the word "shocking" tonight

He's also given Tesco a few plugs :pac:

How many times has Dunphy said the word "shocking" tonight

He's also given Tesco a few plugs :pac:
    Pundits with their catch phrases. With Eamon its "Shocking" with Bill its "tell me this" with Lawro "Ill tell you what matt" Cas "I really think" etc etc

Marseille were not stripped of it. The allegations against them had nothing to do with the CL. Stripped of the French title.

So yes, the panel are way off.

dfx- wrote: »
    There's very few entertaining semi-finals of any competition including the premier competition..especially the first leg. Chelsea/Liverpools, Utd/Barcelonas of the recent past included.

Fair enough, yeah semi finals do tend to be fairly bad. But the one last night was entertaining and of a much higher standard too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Lass Diarra didn't play for Lyon? RTE have him in their Lyon dream team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

It's only 358 miles from Lyon to Munich. Hardly a killer if all your doing is sitting on a bus & playing cards.

They went Bordeaux - Lyon, Lyon - Stuttgart, Stuttgart - Munich. I dont want to be making excuses but I think it had some effect, even it was just a mental one. Put it this way I guarantee they wont be anywhere near as lethargic as they were tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Warper wrote: »
    They went Bordeaux - Lyon, Lyon - Stuttgart, Stuttgart - Munich. I dont want to be making excuses but I think it had some effect, even it was just a mental one. Put it this way I guarantee they wont be anywhere near as lethargic as they were tonight.

If it's 360 miles WTF would you do that? Just get over with it. Monay 8 hour bus journey light training off to bed. Tuesday business as usual. Wednesday top fit. Or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

What a crap game , hope the second leg is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Bodhisopha wrote: »

Yeah was thinking that and cant be Alou either as he was only there a season!?

Boskowski wrote: »
    If it's 360 miles WTF would you do that? Just get over with it. Monay 8 hour bus journey light training off to bed. Tuesday business as usual. Wednesday top fit. Or what?
    Always get the feeling that Giles doesnt rate Bill. Giving him some stick tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Need2Know4Sure

Bodhisopha wrote: »

You sure it said Lass??
    Mo Diarra played for them and went to Real to for 40m

Was Juninho on the team...didnt see him there

• Advertisement
Advertisement