Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League semi-final first leg: Bayern Munich v Lyon 19.45

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

You sure it said Lass??
    Mo Diarra played for them and went to Real to for 40m

Was Juninho on the team...didnt see him there

It said L Diarra and M Diarra and according to wikipedia Alou Diarra only played 15 games for Lyon.

It's a bit rich RTÉ pundits sneering Bayern players when their own punditry leaves an awful lot to be desired. It's pretty disgraceful actually.

No, Juninho wasn't on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

You sure it said Lass??
    Mo Diarra played for them and went to Real to for 40m

Was Juninho on the team...didnt see him there

It said Lass and Mo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I love Giles and Dunphy :pac:

And Bill the troll of course..

Great bit between them tonight

Eamon : I dont want to keep refering to my own career, do I John?

Gilsey : No, I wouldn't if I were you

Played out better on t.v!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pundits with their catch phrases. With Eamon its "Shocking" with Bill its "tell me this" with Lawro "Ill tell you what matt" Cas "I really think" etc etc

But they're all terrific catchphrases!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Incredibly bad analysis of the game from RTE. I'm a Munich fan so usually I end up watching Bundesliga games via Eurosport or GolTV. It's amazing how stats from the past and in-depth knowledge of a team suits them when United play, but not when it's two European clubs that aren't on the cover of Sky TV magazine. It's also clear Dunphy has never seen a Bungesliga match before.

If I didn't know Bayern tonight would have told me:

Pranjic is an ace player
    Muller is consistently muck (granted, I kinda agree with that)
    Gomez can't score for his dinner
    Robben is a flash in the pan
    Bayern are utterly boring

Amazing how stats don't matter, but they were very important when Bayern played United. 1999 came up a lot that time, but bringing up more recent games means nothing to the team now.

Next game I'll put on mute and stream audio from a team who've done their homework first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Incredibly bad analysis of the game from RTE. I'm a Munich fan so usually I end up watching Bundesliga games via Eurosport or GolTV. It's amazing how stats from the past and in-depth knowledge of a team suits them when United play, but not when it's two European clubs that aren't on the cover of Sky TV magazine. It's also clear Dunphy has never seen a Bungesliga match before.

Pranjic is an ace player

Amazing how stats don't matter, but they were very important when Bayern played United. 1999 came up a lot that time, but bringing up more recent games means nothing to the team now.

Next game I'll put on mute and stream audio from a team who've done their homework first.
    To be fair Muller missed a fairly bad chance and in all honesty Munich were up against a ten man Lyon team who sat back throughout should have won by more.
    Robben is a good player but the criticism I think people had of him at Chelsea was that he tended to keep his head down a bit.
    Dont think Munich are anywhere near the class of Barca or Inter but would agree that the panel should have acted a bit more professionally tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Pranjic is an ace player

In fairness Giles always rubbishes stats like what Bill was saying tonight. One of his big lines is to say "play the game on it's merits". Stats can be used to say almost anything you want. I'll leave them to the slicksters at Sky who know all the stats but not the actual football

Edit: Slicksters being production people etc. I'm not calling Merson or Redknapp a slickster!

To be fair Muller missed a fairly bad chance and in all honesty Munich were up against a ten man Lyon team who sat back throughout should have won by more.

I was doing a liveblog on a Bayern blog and I called Muller out a lot. He does score goals regularly in the Bundesliga but he scuffed a lot of shots. Olic should have been left on, and Gomez brought on earlier. I understand we needed to strengthen the midfield but not at the expensive of the front of goal...
    Robben is a good player but the criticism I think people had of him at Chelsea was that he tended to keep his head down a bit.

This sentence sums up my criticisism of RTE. They're judging him at his time at Chelsea, where he spent most of his time fixing parts of his body broken by Wigan or some other middle-of-the-road team. They seem to have forgotten his time at Real where he was a key player, and this season for Bayern where he's been outstanding, with goals that only Messi could better. Like I said, it's clear RTE only watch the EPL. Nothing else. No research into the teams playing, and always manage to bring it back to United, regardless of who's playing.
    Dont think Munich are anywhere near the class of Barca or Inter but would agree that the panel should have acted a bit more professionally tonight.

By no means would I say this game was on the same level as Inter/Barca, but the Inter/Barca game was always going to be fraught with southern continental flare and passion. These are very different games. The fact that Dunphy admitted he had previously said that he didn't want to watch this game shows that he shouldn't have been giving comments on it. He's hardly objective. Anytime I've seen him talk about football he manages to worm United into the conversation...

I was doing a liveblog on a Bayern blog and I called Muller out a lot. He does score goals regularly in the Bundesliga but he scuffed a lot of shots. Olic should have been left on, and Gomez brought on earlier. I understand we needed to strengthen the midfield but not at the expensive of the front of goal...

This sentence sums up my criticisism of RTE. They're judging him at his time at Chelsea, where he spent most of his time fixing parts of his body broken by Wigan or some other middle-of-the-road team. They seem to have forgotten his time at Real where he was a key player, and this season for Bayern where he's been outstanding, with goals that only Messi could better. Like I said, it's clear RTE only watch the EPL. Nothing else. No research into the teams playing, and always manage to bring it back to United, regardless of who's playing.

By no means would I say this game was on the same level as Inter/Barca, but the Inter/Barca game was always going to be fraught with southern continental flare and passion. These are very different games. The fact that Dunphy admitted he had previously said that he didn't want to watch this game shows that he shouldn't have been giving comments on it. He's hardly objective. Anytime I've seen him talk about football he manages to worm United into the conversation...
    In Dunphys defence he does watch a lot of spanish football and has been on record as saying he is an admirer of French football. Watched DVD of Lyon Bordeaux game. But agree they were a bit over the top with their criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

In Dunphys defence he does watch a lot of spanish football and has been on record as saying he is an admirer of French football. Watched DVD of Lyon Bordeaux game. But agree they were a bit over the top with their criticism.

Honestly, 90% of your posts have to wind ups.:pac:

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Honestly, 90% of your posts have to wind ups.:pac:
    Sorry how is this a wind up. Merely pointing out that Dunphy as a rule does watch a lot of spanish football and said tonight he watched DVD of Bordeaux Lyon game.

Sorry how is this a wind up. Merely pointing out that Dunphy as a rule does watch a lot of spanish football and said tonight he watched DVD of Bordeaux Lyon game.

Dunphy has been exposed on his lack of Spanish football knowledge many times. I wouldn't even tip the iceberg on his lack of knowledge of Ligue 1, saying he watched a dvd of a game is pretty laughable. He offered literally zero insight in to any Lyon players.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Lass Diarra didn't play for Lyon? RTE have him in their Lyon dream team.

I have a feeling Bill came up with that team all by himself. Don't know how they managed to leave out Juninho.

Coupet

Clerc
    Edmilson
    Cris
    Abidal

Diarra

Essien
    Juninho

Benzema
    Malouda

Fred

Thats the real Lyon team of the Decade (I presume they were talking about the last decade)

Are you sure? I watch most La Liga games and I'm a secret fan of Barca and it's usually apparent Dunphy only watches Barca and Real matches.

Watching a DVD of one French game is not being a fan of it, in fairness. I'm clueless on French football but I would hedge my bets on being better at analysing it then Dunphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If your job is a professional pundit, staying in, instead of going out and getting blotto, and watching whatever game Sky have on from La Liga does not equate to "watching a lot of Spanish football".

JPA wrote: »
    If your job is a professional pundit, staying in, instead of going out and getting blotto, and watching whatever game Sky have on from La Liga does not equate to "watching a lot of Spanish football".
    Dunphy watched DVD of Lyon Bordeaux game so you cant accuse him of not being prepared for game. Giles came out and said he didnt know much about the Lyon team. Dunphy comes out with some strange statements but he at least did his homework. Collectively the three werent great tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

It's most apparent in Dunphy but probably a problem with all of them. They're paid as football pundits but probably do as much 'research' as you and I do. basically being in their position because they've always been there and also for comical value they're enjoying their no doubt quite profitable little RTE contracts sitting on their backsides talking ****e.
    Being 'controversial' is the only way that clown Dunphy is still in that seat. If he tried real expert opinion stuff I'm sure he'd be 'found out' in no time.
    The only thing that's funnier than them is the guys on was it TV3 or e4 icant remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Scroll back in time to 2006 before the world cup, Dunphy had been constantly saying Italy were shambolic. He never stopped talking rubbish about them until they actually kicked a ball. Obviously them won after that given how inaccurate the panel is most of the time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

1-0 won't be enough to take to France. Lyon will be better at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Prufrock wrote: »
    1-0 won't be enough to take to France. Lyon will be better at home.

I can see Bayern getting an away goal though, leaving Lyon needing 3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Pretty impressive result for Bayern considering.

Is Ribery potentially out for the final too now? Is it a 2 game ban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

PHB wrote: »
    Pretty impressive result for Bayern considering.

Is Ribery potentially out for the final too now? Is it a 2 game ban?

UEFA have to make a call on that, I think it's a one game ban with them deciding whether he deserves more or not!
    UEFA will decide next Wednesday whether Ribery will face any more than the automatic one-game ban for his red card

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Lyon might be better at home, but I can still see Bayern nicking an away goal... And if they score twice, Lyon are left with a nigh on impossible task. If Bayern score first in Lyon, that means that OL will have to commit more to going forward, leaving them open to counter attacks. I still say Bayern will go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

tdv123 wrote: »
    I have a feeling Bill came up with that team all by himself. Don't know how they managed to leave out Juninho.

Coupet

Clerc
    Edmilson
    Cris
    Abidal

Diarra

Essien
    Juninho

Benzema
    Malouda

Fred

Thats the real Lyon team of the Decade (I presume they were talking about the last decade)

I don't think it was meant to be the team of the decade... I just thought it was meant to be the best Lyon players (current and former) on current form i.e. as an example of how many good players Lyon had sold on.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

jasonorr wrote: »
    I can see Bayern getting an away goal though, leaving Lyon needing 3!

Lyon have a mean defensive record this year. I think they've conceded 8 goals in total in the CL? Might be wrong. Also Bayern aren't exactly a free scoring team. 1-0 and extra time would be what I'd expect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Prufrock wrote: »
    Lyon have a mean defensive record this year. I think they've conceded 8 goals in total in the CL? Might be wrong. Also Bayern aren't exactly a free scoring team. 1-0 and extra time would be what I'd expect.

I admit Bayerns forwards have been absolutely awful yesterday, but once the Bayern machine gets rolling they seem to be able to control a game completely. It may not look as flash as the Barca machine, but just as effective in shutting a tie down. I imagine a 1:1 in Lyon or a 2:1 win for Bayern.

Bayern have been very petulant in this years CL campaign.
    Abysmal for stretches - looking like a team that does not belong there. Then very gritty and resilient showing a 'never give up' attitude at other times. Show me a team that can come back from a 0:3 in Old Trafford.
    Even yesterday - I know it's been awful to look at - they showed they can force a really bad game home and get the result. You just don't know what you're going to get from them.
    I can understand how people find it difficult to rate them with what they've shown. Yet I have a feeling if they continue in this style they're going to win the CL.

Well, Puel was clearly banking on the return leg in France, I mean that's very clear. I don't know if the bus journeys have anything to do with it but Barca and Lyon appeared visibly tired during the match. Lyon have become a defensive team alot of the team under Puel, especially in the CL, but that was beyond anything. Against Real and Bordeaux they pressed them higher up the pitch. In that game they simply stood off like a training excercise and let Bayern pass around them.

Think it will, and has to be, different in France.

Advertisement