Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Genuine Help For some Social benifit please

Options
  • 21-04-2010 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi There.

I was recently working a very tough job 12-14hr a day 6/7 days a week, i was under a lot of pressure and it was effecting my entire life. I new i wanted to leave but i could not get another job.

Because i could not get a job I tried starting my own business, the business wont take off for another 2 months but last month i left my job as i really could not handle it a day longer.

Im wondering am i entitled to anything in the meantime, all i need is some sort of income until i get the business running as i have a child. (bare in mind I left my job and so i dont think i would be aloud the dole?)

Help a confused man please. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MCannon

I would assume that after 3 days of being unemployed you could apply for jobs seekers benefit. This would equte to circa €195 per week. You will need to go to you local social welfare office to apply for this.

Job seekers benefit is paid for up to 1 year of unemployment I believe and an applicant can only receive same if he/she has made enough PRSI contributions in an assessable year whichI think for this year is 2008( I believe 39 paid contributions will do). If you have not made enough contributions you may be able to claim job seekers allowance - but to get this the means of you and your spouse is tested.

Once you have regsiterred a business and became a sole trader (register for income tax) I would doubt if you would be enititled to any benefit even if you are earning no money from the trade. Once you become a sole trader you are self employed. I would assume you can apply for job seekers benefit for the period between the date you left you previous post + 3 working days to the period you regsiterred as a sole trader.

The fact that you left you job is irrelvant for the purposes of social welfare.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 smiley1986

MCannon wrote: »
    I would assume that after 3 days of being unemployed you could apply for jobs seekers benefit. This would equte to circa €195 per week. You will need to go to you local social welfare office to apply for this.

Job seekers benefit is paid for up to 1 year of unemployment I believe and an applicant can only receive same if he/she has made enough PRSI contributions in an assessable year whichI think for this year is 2008( I believe 39 paid contributions will do). If you have not made enough contributions you may be able to claim job seekers allowance - but to get this the means of you and your spouse is tested.

Once you have regsiterred a business and became a sole trader (register for income tax) I would doubt if you would be enititled to any benefit even if you are earning no money from the trade. Once you become a sole trader you are self employed. I would assume you can apply for job seekers benefit for the period between the date you left you previous post + 3 working days to the period you regsiterred as a sole trader.

The fact that you left you job is irrelvant for the purposes of social welfare.

Hope this helps

Hi Thanks , the business is not registered yet and it wont be until another month or 2 until i have some business lined up.

I was under the impression I would not be entitled to any benefit because I left my job and was not let go??

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MCannon

smiley1986 wrote: »
    Hi Thanks , the business is not registered yet and it wont be until another month or 2 until i have some business lined up.

I was under the impression I would not be entitled to any benefit because I left my job and was not let go??

Thanks

I think that if you explain the situation to your local social welfare office then you should be ok. Obviously if you left you job simply for the purpose of claiming the dole then you would have no entitlement.

Advertisement