Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ivan Yates & conflicts of interest

• 21-04-2010 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

Is Ivan Yates drumming up business for his gambling business by giving 'hot tips' out on air that turn out to be donkeys? Even if he's not, is someone who benefits from the industry enticing people to spend money with that industry not against some code of conduct, somewhere along the line?

All I can say for sure is that yesterday he again gave a tip for a horse, one that he suggested could be quite a good payout, which failed to make an impression on the field.

Be interested in hearing what more informed minds have to say about this :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Dont think anyone who likes a bet will take a tip from a bookie anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

didn't he sell his shops?
    U thought he sold them a few years ago and made a decent profit, then again maybe he was only offered a price and didn't take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Could he get rid of his radio partner who's very good at the showbiz and fluffy stuff, Claire Byrne is bringing him and the their breakfast show down with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

His wife 'controls' the business now, allegedley. But yeah it sounds dodgy alright. But hey would take a tip from an ex bookie ex TD? Would you believe a word either would tell you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

would take a tip from an ex bookie ex TD?

Heh, nah I guess not. Just think it's beyond cheeky, and possibly against the undoubtedly high standards that NT set themselves :rolleyes: I'm willing to put up with Claire's ditz, it's almost endearing. And I find Ivan incisive and intelligent, but it's the blatant shill that's lost them my ear in the mornings.

And if they can be taken to task for it, I'm going to make sure they are.

• Advertisement

beans wrote: »
    Heh, nah I guess not. Just think it's beyond cheeky, and possibly against the undoubtedly high standards that NT set themselves :rolleyes: I'm willing to put up with Claire's ditz, it's almost endearing. And I find Ivan incisive and intelligent, but it's the blatant shill that's lost them my ear in the mornings.

And if they can be taken to task for it, I'm going to make sure they are.

I remember they were giving away free bets during Cheltenham, they weren't for Celtic :o

BTW I usually channel hop as well as i cant listen to Miz Byrne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

beans wrote: »
    Is Ivan Yates drumming up business for his gambling business by giving 'hot tips' out on air that turn out to be donkeys? Even if he's not, is someone who benefits from the industry enticing people to spend money with that industry not against some code of conduct, somewhere along the line?

All I can say for sure is that yesterday he again gave a tip for a horse, one that he suggested could be quite a good payout, which failed to make an impression on the field.

Be interested in hearing what more informed minds have to say about this :confused:

Odd, I heard his tips and I didn't feel any inclination to put a bet on whatsoever. Maybe I didn't hear the part of the show which implants the mind control subliminal message on you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Who was the first black jockey to ride a Grand National winner? Lester Piggots cell-mate. Anyone who takes a tip from an ex TD ex(?) bookie blowhard like Ivan Yates deserves to lose their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

During Cheltenham two years ago I was presenting the morning mag programme on a local radio station and we had him on each day giving us €200 charidee bets.

I totally ignored his tips and won packets for the charidees. Sadly I didn't wager my own dosh on my picks!

Who was the first black jockey to ride a Grand National winner? Lester Piggots cell-mate. Anyone who takes a tip from an ex TD ex(?) bookie blowhard like Ivan Yates deserves to lose their money.

Sure it wasn't Derby winner :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Jip wrote: »
    Odd, I heard his tips and I didn't feel any inclination to put a bet on whatsoever. Maybe I didn't hear the part of the show which implants the mind control subliminal message on you ?

Your ears must not pick up that hyper-frequency 'slave' tone.

Just saying, as a someone who benefits from the gaming industry he shouldn't be using his platform on the morning show to advertise. Or am I being naive in that the only reason for such 'news stations' is to act as a sales tool for the bosses and their clients, the actual journalism and such being tacked-on as an afterthought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

although I did lol, lets try to keep at least a facade of good taste in the forum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The BAI have strick rules on how odds can be presented on radio. By all accounts, odds on events and the nags seem to be popular with radio stations and audiences. The odds can only be generic i.e. the market odds as opposed to odds offered by a specific bookies and should be presented in a way that doesn't encourage people to gamble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Fitz Guddentheidt

BrianD wrote: »
    The BAI have strick rules on how odds can be presented on radio. By all accounts, odds on events and the nags seem to be popular with radio stations and audiences. The odds can only be generic i.e. the market odds as opposed to odds offered by a specific bookies and should be presented in a way that doesn't encourage people to gamble.

Really? How does that tally up with them allowing Bookies to sposnor shows on radio and tv and also with them allowing horseracing and gambling shows on tv3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Fitz Guddentheidt

BrianD wrote: »

Really? How does that tally up with them allowing Bookies to sposnor shows on radio and tv and also with them allowing horseracing and gambling shows on tv?

Advertisement