Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling in around pipes/vermin

• 21-04-2010 11:47am

Have a few pipes that were left pretty rough where they exit the house. Pretty certain rats have used them to access the place.

Still have to build footpaths but for the time being would like to fill the gaps, they are sizeable so was told plastering or some foam type substance, way too much for Polyfilla. Any tips or ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

buy a can of expanding foam.
    pump some into the cavity around the pipes and allow a small ammount to overflow. when dry cut back the excess with a knife or scraper.
    dont allow it to get on clothes or hands if possible as its messy stuff.

Thanks for that, got the foam. Can it be put around the vent for the boiler - is it heat resistant?

And for the vermin themselves, if they are present is it a question of going into attic, checking if its clear, and if so filling up all the holes quickly? Don't want to trap them inside if they are up there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Thanks for that, got the foam. Can it be put around the vent for the boiler - is it heat resistant?

And for the vermin themselves, if they are present is it a question of going into attic, checking if its clear, and if so filling up all the holes quickly? Don't want to trap them inside if they are up there!

Yes its safe to put filler foam around a boiler flue if its twin wall. You will know if its gas or not hot.

However although to late i would have used brick and filler as it comes out easier if needed. Filler foam is very very messy and difficult to trim around a boiler.

Personally I would seal all the holes and put a trap beside the holes on the inside for mice leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Have a few pipes that were left pretty rough where they exit the house. Pretty certain rats have used them to access the place.

Still have to build footpaths but for the time being would like to fill the gaps, they are sizeable so was told plastering or some foam type substance, way too much for Polyfilla. Any tips or ideas?

Having just learnt a bit about rats after dealing with recurring problems over at my sisters I'd say that foam and polyfilla are a waste of time. Rats apparently lay a scent-trail into areas they inhabit which become an attraction for more - after you've poisoned the last batch. Rats need to gnaw at something to keep their chisel-like teeth in check (hence their gnawing on electrical cables). They'll gnaw through foam or polyfilla with their chisel-like teeth as if it were ... well, foam or polyfilla.

A hard mortar mix at minimum (3:1). Mix some broken glass in with the mortar .. better.

Having just learnt a bit about rats after dealing with recurring problems over at my sisters I'd say that foam and polyfilla are a waste of time. Rats apparently lay a scent-trail into areas they inhabit which become an attraction for more - after you've poisoned the last batch. Rats need to gnaw at something to keep their chisel-like teeth in check (hence their gnawing on electrical cables). They'll gnaw through foam or polyfilla with their chisel-like teeth as if it were ... well, foam or polyfilla.

A hard mortar mix at minimum (3:1). Mix some broken glass in with the mortar .. better.

Jesus... hello daddy... my father swore by this for rats...The glass that is..mixed with the mortar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Jesus... hello daddy... my father swore by this for rats...The glass that is..mixed with the mortar

Apparently if the trail-to-habitation is well established they'll simply gnaw through the mortar. The rule of thumb being that if you can "gnaw" it away with a screwdriver, they can gnaw it away with their teeth. Thus glass (or in the slightly larger area over at my sisters - thick wire mesh.)

Apparently if the trail-to-habitation is well established they'll simply gnaw through the mortar. The rule of thumb being that if you can "gnaw" it away with a screwdriver, they can gnaw it away with their teeth. Thus glass (or in the slightly larger area over at my sisters - thick wire mesh.)

Now he was not that scientific. He simply said the trail is established so they eat through the morter but then strike the glass and this cuts them then they get eaten by there own....

Took compost bin away from near house. When I moved it there was a couple of tunnels underneath it, so took a shovel to the area and churned up the ground a bit. Then stuck in the foam around pipes and set traps inside in the attic. Have the sonar deterrent on all the time, but looks like they've toughened up to that. If they get through the foam, and redig the tunnel, and put up with the noise, I'll be taking the glass and mortar approach. Thanks.

Took compost bin away from near house. When I moved it there was a couple of tunnels underneath it, so took a shovel to the area and churned up the ground a bit. Then stuck in the foam around pipes and set traps inside in the attic. Have the sonar deterrent on all the time, but looks like they've toughened up to that. If they get through the foam, and redig the tunnel, and put up with the noise, I'll be taking the glass and mortar approach. Thanks.

They dont work....proven...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Have had them under my floors recently, pigs they are. Very clever vermin. One ate poison outside and got in before I blocked his escape. Jaysus lads the smell is unreal after he died. I'm not exaggerating. Its was a little bit of a nightmare to locate him as the smell was in sitting room, but with the airflow coming in from back of house, he died in kitchen area. I have Tassle walls downstairs...

The mix of glass and cement is highly recommended....Only use poison if its the very very last resort...

• Advertisement
Advertisement