Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The buttcher

Options
  • 21-04-2010 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

hi guys just thought id let you all know! I went to the butcher shop across from the la touch last night for a few steaks, got 3 sirloins for 21 quid! Absolutely fantastic, I don’t work for them but just thought I give em a little praise, as he seems like a nice bloke with good produce! well worth a try even once! ill be back next week for a few more I think!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

cooper90 wrote: »
    hi guys just thought id let you all know! I went to the butcher shop across from the la touch last night for a few steaks, got 3 sirloins for 21 quid! Absolutely fantastic, I don’t work for them but just thought I give em a little praise, as he seems like a nice bloke with good produce! well worth a try even once! ill be back next week for a few more I think!

i like their steaks but that's not great value,it's about normal,drove past today and on the board they had steak(sirloin)for 5.50 per lb,so you must have got some monster steaks

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

€10 for 1kg steak in Joe Doyle shop in Kilcoole. 25 chicken breast for €20 too.

The shop is in the industrial estate when you turn right at Centra coming in from greystones end.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

very monster!

darsar wrote: »

The shop is in the industrial estate when you turn right at Centra coming in from greystones end.

have tried it,wasn't mad on the quality though,the best around imo by a mile is the shop in Delgany,in sayin that when i'm havin a bbq i use Doyle's,got a bag of rashers for a teenner,so many i couldn't even count them

cooper90 wrote: »
    very monster!

wtf,?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Kilcoole's butcher, Farrallys in Delgany and the Steak Shop down by La Touche are all brilliant IMO. We're very lucky to have such wonderful produce on our doorstep. They should be used as much as possible over the supermarkets. Support your local produce!

Ooh and the superb organic eggs from the farm next to Eden Wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

ciaran67 wrote: »

Ooh and the superb organic eggs from the farm next to Eden Wood.

Oh ? Where exactly is this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

The Beef in the Steak Shop is excellent.

The egg lady,heading for Kilcoole , take the first right after the roundabout (pass by the new houses there) the second house entrance on the right.

She also can get you a turkey, goose etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

darsar wrote: »

Yep, it's excellent. Their four fillet steaks for €20 are excellent. Very interesting re the organic eggs. Those chickens are very free range. You see them grazing all the time. And I saw a flock of Guines fowl about a mile from the farm.

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    Oh ? Where exactly is this ?

Yea as Hutthe says above, heading toward Kilcoole from Gstones, turn right at the Kilquade turning and after passing the new estate and the entrance to Eden Wood, they're about 4 or 5 houses up with a sign on their wall offering organic eggs on right side of the road.

I didnt know they could get turkeys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Donnybrook Fair. Superb meat and poultry. Never once been disappointed in the quality.

Avoid Tesco at all cost, had several packs of meat go off within a day.

Donnybrook Fair. Superb meat and poultry. Never once been disappointed in the quality.

Avoid Tesco at all cost, had several packs of meat go off within a day.

I cant stand any wrapped in plastic sweating meat.

Got a lovely piece of bacon from Farrellys yesterday. And a nice cabbage.

I try to avoid Tesco like the plague. Buy very little in there these days. The special offers aren't. The fruit and Veg is cat. They drop suppliers regularly. They add nothing to our economy or standard of living. Just a personal opinion of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mmcm888

Agree with Tesco meat being very poor quality. I've taken to buying meat at the Steak Shop - much better quality & taste, for a similar if not better price and I'm supporting the small guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

got rotten olives from deli counter last week in tesco. Went back when i noticed, the next day. The lady had a look at the brown(supposed to be green) shrivelled and dry olives she'd given me and said they looked fine to her! I noticed 5 other bowls of rotten olives. I argued and decided to get prepacked olives in replacement. No apologies from anyone. Went back today, had a good look before deciding to get the same ones as they looked fine. When i got home i found 5 rotten olives in the bottom. They'd covered the rotten ones with fresh ones and are still selling them. That's tescos for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

every little helps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Okalu

I agree re TESCO. Has anyone noticed the fish counter? I have never seen anything remotely fresh on it! Must agree re the Steak Shop, fantastic quality steaks, good value and supporting the little fella is always good!

Okalu wrote: »
    I agree re TESCO. Has anyone noticed the fish counter? I have never seen anything remotely fresh on it! Must agree re the Steak Shop, fantastic quality steaks, good value and supporting the little fella is always good!

Only thing Tescos is good for is the wine. Much cheaper than anywhere else.

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Only thing Tescos is good for is the wine. Much cheaper than anywhere else.

Spot on there, they really up their game in that Dept.

Huntthe wrote: »
    Spot on there, they really up their game in that Dept.

and managed to make stupidquinn bring their ridiculous prices on wine down aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Yep. Oceans Edge Pinot Noir from NZ €7.49. Would have been impossible three years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

where can you get fresh fish in greystones

Cavistons just up from the Happy Pear. Buy whats on special to get it at a very reasonable price, quality wise as good as anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Farrellys is in a diffrent league all together..
    They now do venison which is lovely..

Here is their website..
    http://www.farrellysbutchers.ie/

Farrellys is in a diffrent league all together..
    They now do venison which is lovely..

Here is their website..
    http://www.farrellysbutchers.ie/

For what ?

For what ?

Meat and nice veg aswell

I'll 2nd Cavistons for fish. Donnybrook Fair has some good stuff aswell but not as good as Cavistons.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Donnybrook fair is good but it's very expensive

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12 greygardens

Got our organic eggs at weekend, thanks for great recommendation, (The farm beside Eden Gate) great value, freshly laid that morning and my boys got to watch the hens run around.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

You will find that Donnybrook Fair Meat is cheaper than Tesco across many items.

Caviston's is ok for food <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

For what ?

Meat.

They are hands down awesome.
    We buy most of our meat there.
    €35 goes a long way with their specials.
    Which is great considering how much meat I go through.

Advertisement