Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The buttcher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Unusal to find everthing top notch in the same shop.I'm a bit sceptical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Only ever bought one piece of chicken in Farrallys. You go in, nothing really on display. I don't want to have to be a Ninja Blackbelt in Meat cuts to order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Think you'll find that the display counters take up most of the shop. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Empty display counters mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Well 1 of 3 things could of happened here..

1. They were either opening or closing
    2. You went up on a Sunday
    3. A trip to specsavers is needed.

Can't belive Im having a dicussion about display counters here, but anyways, go up and try again, I think you'll find them full to the brim..

I'm outta here..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Empty display counters mostly.

Are you sure you've got the same shop? Every time im in there its full of meat. I actually prefer when i ask for a piece of bacon and he pulls out a large piece from the fridge and cuts me off some. They've also redone the shop with some local veg on sale. Not only are they more than helpful but very funny and always some good banter with customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Only ever bought one piece of chicken in Farrallys. You go in, nothing really on display. I don't want to have to be a Ninja Blackbelt in Meat cuts to order.

Your loss.
    Enjoy tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

got my first steak from the Steak Shop yesterday and it was amazing!!!!
    I will definitely be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

Picked up a steak for dinner yesterday from the Steak shop - the second time I've been there, and as before, it was excellent. A very big sirloin steak, aged for three weeks, cost €6.50 - and it was absolutely stunning. (Flash fried for a minute and a half on both sides and then left to rest, served with herb butter, home made chips and onion rings and a side of spinach. Epic.)

This is obviously only my opinion, but while you may be able to pay less elsewhere (can you?), you won't get as much quality for your cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mr honest

Picked up a steak for dinner yesterday from the Steak shop - the second time I've been there, and as before, it was excellent. A very big sirloin steak, aged for three weeks, cost €6.50 - and it was absolutely stunning. (Flash fried for a minute and a half on both sides and then left to rest, served with herb butter, home made chips and onion rings and a side of spinach. Epic.)

This is obviously only my opinion, but while you may be able to pay less elsewhere (can you?), you won't get as much quality for your cash.
    i frequently used this shop before but for some reason they changed the butcher there and the displays are nowher near as good now he really knew his job and was great at giving you tips at the best ways to cook your meats i tryed it a few times since but for me its not the same its gone backwards i now use farrellys and have to say the are fantastic can;t do enough for you i can;t understand if a guy is good why change but then thats just my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

mr honest wrote: »
    i frequently used this shop before but for some reason they changed the butcher there and the displays are nowher near as good now he really knew his job and was great at giving you tips at the best ways to cook your meats i tryed it a few times since but for me its not the same its gone backwards i now use farrellys and have to say the are fantastic can;t do enough for you i can;t understand if a guy is good why change but then thats just my opinion

The chap who worked behind the counter has changed. The Butcher is the same as is the meat. The fellow there now is very pleasant as is the young chap. Will be sure to pop into Farrellys to see the nice display.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

When they first opened I went there a lot, all the way from Bray, but no more. To me when the new guy appeared behind the counter it went down hill in some respects .. too much the way of pre-prepared stuff with lots of otherwise good meat coated in all kinds of gloopy industrial marinades (you can spot the empty 5l plastic containers at the back of the shop sometimes). I want my butcher to sell meat, not do half the cooking for me. I may still occasionally go there just for the steak, but I'll do my other meat buying somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mr honest

Huntthe wrote: »
    The chap who worked behind the counter has changed. The Butcher is the same as is the meat. The fellow there now is very pleasant as is the young chap. Will be sure to pop into Farrellys to see the nice display.
    have to dissagree there with you the person behind the counter has a major part to play if people like and get to know them they trust them thats why people make an effort to shop in certain places i am not saying the guy there now is not friendly i am just saying the place looked much more inviting with the displays the other guy had and i personally found him to be very informative he seemed to know all about his job if i knew where he was know i would be inclined to shop there .i am a great believer in going to people who give good service anyway i am delighted with the guys in farrellys jusy expressing an opionion regarding butchers in our local area.

mr honest wrote: »
    have to dissagree there with you the person behind the counter has a major part to play if people like and get to know them they trust them thats why people make an effort to shop in certain places i am not saying the guy there now is not friendly i am just saying the place looked much more inviting with the displays the other guy had and i personally found him to be very informative he seemed to know all about his job if i knew where he was know i would be inclined to shop there .i am a great believer in going to people who give good service anyway i am delighted with the guys in farrellys jusy expressing an opionion regarding butchers in our local area.

I find the guy down there at the Steak shop to be very nice indeed. The Farrelly bros are also friendly, helpful and v funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

whatever happened to Moran's the fishmongers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

d2ww wrote: »

Gone back to where they were in the old shop.
    Nothing like it was, though.

For whole chickens you cant beat Tescos Organic birds for 7-11 euro. Couldn't get over how expensive chicken was in Ireland before the Newry Express brought them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 groovy 09

d2ww wrote: »

Cavistons !

• Registered Users Posts: 18 groovy 09

The steaks from The Steak Shop are gorgeous, 30 day aged rib eyes melt in the mouth.

Not gone on the butchers in Kilcoole, not great quality.

groovy 09 wrote: »
    Cavistons !

oooh not 'arf!

proper fish!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

best fish in greystones is Donnybrook fair.
    they sell more fish than anywhere else in greystones,
    and also not as expensive as the donnybrook fair name gets its reputation for. cheaper than cavistons that's for sure.

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    best fish in greystones is Donnybrook fair.
    they sell more fish than anywhere else in greystones,
    and also not as expensive as the donnybrook fair name gets its reputation for. cheaper than cavistons that's for sure.

Dont be a silly doctor, doctor silly.

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Dont be a silly doctor, doctor silly.

it's a fact :p

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

I agree.. donnybrook fare is much cheaper than I expected and the staff is extremely helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I agree.. donnybrook fare is much cheaper than I expected and the staff is extremely helpful
    It's fierce expensive!!!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    It's fierce expensive!!!!!

Only a few weeks ago I was looking for a large saddle of lamb.
    Doyles and Farrelys were quoting me 45 - 60 euro.
    Donnybrook fair ordered one in for me, collected it the next day, for 35 and it was fantastic

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    Only a few weeks ago I was looking for a large saddle of lamb.
    Doyles and Farrelys were quoting me 45 - 60 euro.
    Donnybrook fair ordered one in for me, collected it the next day, for 35 and it was fantastic

Mate, you sure it as the same weight?

I took a whole sirloin back to London last week and it was v good.

Ive always found DF very expensive.

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Mate, you sure it as the same weight?

Yup, 100% sure.

I found them expensive initially, but not anymore, especially on the fish.
    Granted they're not bargain material but you do get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kjgrant

I am the apprentice from Farrellys..or at least I was.. and yes I am down in the butchers in Donnybrook fair..but I have to say that their has been a lot of crap written on these threads on this site about certain shops and butchers......their are only 5 abbattoirs in wicklow...only one of these is in the greystones area-they kill for themselves and no one else, the only other one in the north of the county is in newcastle- they are only licensed to kill lamb-NOT Beef, NOT pork, Nothing else...so theirs is no way anyone is killing their own beef or pork except for that one in delgany....the beef and lamb at donnybrook fair is hand chosen by mr james tormey ( a master butcher of many years) and aged for at least 21 days+...and I'm not saying that as advertisment..i'd rather not have to be on here at all but I figure its best to put things on the record so everyone knows the truth as its very easy to pick up incorrect information thru no fault of your own and then repeat it. But I think this whole thread/threads should be shut down bcos it seems some ppl are more interested in running down good shops and butchers and promoting others.The only reason I'm writing here is the fact I was mentioned (which someone I know pointed out to me)and also it annoys me to hear ppl peddling false truths, whether it be intentional or not...another thread about shops in greystones was especially misleading.I suggest the only way to know wat the meat is like in any shop is just to try it.Thanks for listening guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Thanks KJ,
    And to clear up another falsehood is that DF is expensive. Their 3 for 12 meat deal or 4 for 15 BBQ deals are a hit in our household. I went in last night and they only had two packages of chicken. They gave me a note so that I could pick up the third tonight. Like I said, the staff is very helpful and the prices are good.

Advertisement