Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fermenting

Options
  • 21-04-2010 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey,
    Over the weekend i decided that i'd try my hand at making some Nettle Beer. I followed the "River Cottage" recipe. It's been sitting somewhere warm since monday and i understand i'm meant to bottle it after 2-3 days or until it's fermented??

The only problem is is that i don't know if it is or what it'll look like when it does!

Help please!!

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Can you point us at the river cottage recipe you used?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Carrollj

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Carrollj wrote: »
    The only problem is is that i don't know if it is or what it'll look like when it does

Anything like this:
    brewing_24hr_yeast_head.jpg

Also you should be able to smell it too

Ok... it looks nothing like that. There somes to be something happening at the bottom but nothing on the surface

Ok, it may not produce much activity, does it have a noticeable smell?

What yeast did you add?

• Advertisement

I used brewers yeast powder, as i said there's some activity on the bottom of the barrell but nothing really on top. It smells pretty close to the way it did when it went in.

Thanks for the help

Sounds like the yeast may have not taken off, add some more of the same or at a pinch if you can't get brewers yeast try bread yeast

All the best

Thanks very much

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I used brewers yeast powder
    Is that the food supplement sold in health food shops? I'm not sure that's viable for brewing.

Yeah that's the one... Should i start all over again?

• Advertisement

any ideas where i can get yeast for brewing in Dublin?

Not in shops, unfortunately. You could contact these guys and ask them to post the yeast to you instead of paying full courier costs.

Though, actually, if you're going to do this again it could be worth your while getting a few bits of brewing essentials: a hydrometer and sample jar, for instance.

That brewers yeast powder is inactivated yeast, with the hop oils removed from their cell wall

• Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Yeah that's the one... Should i start all over again?

You don't really have to start over, just syphon your wort off the inactive yeast which will be lying on the bottom, and put your new yeast in when you get it. I made the same mistake 1st time round with wine, :o and it feremented no probs once I replaced with active yeast.

Thanks for the help guys.. Just have to get the active yeast and i'll be away.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

I've used Allinsons bread making yeast and even Tesco quick acting
    when Ive run out of the proper stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

oblivious wrote: »
    That brewers yeast powder is inactivated yeast, with the hop oils removed from their cell wall
    Hop Oils? :confused:

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Hop Oils? :confused:

yep oils from hops, there is a patent to remove them from the yeast cells walls

Cheers Farmer, i've used the Tesco yeast and it's beginning to work. Thanks for that.

The next thing is the dreaded exploding bottle! I've read that if it explodes that shards of glass can go get stuck in walls etc... I was just wondering once i bottle it will i leave the bottles outside.. for safety sake!

The next thing is the dreaded exploding bottle! I've read that if it explodes that shards of glass can go get stuck in walls etc... I was just wondering once i bottle it will i leave the bottles outside.. for safety sake!

Invest in a hydrometer, if the gravity is below 1.015-1.016 you should be ok

hydrometer.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

speaking of hydrometers, anyone in dublin got a spare one lying around for this broke unemployed sole!!?? mine got smashed the weekend!!:(
    Or know anywhere in dublin that sells them, i dont want to buy one online as the delivery is more expensive than the thing itself!!

i dont want to buy one online as the delivery is more expensive than the thing itself!!
    You could always ask (here or on another forum) if anyone's putting in an order with a supplier that you could piggy-back your hydrometer on for free.

Cheers again guys, i'm desperate to drink it. I'll probably find it hard to get one without an online purchase. Cheers guys

This is gonna sound pretty stupid but... i know you need a hydrometer for fish tanks so would it be possible to get one in pet shops??

This is gonna sound pretty stupid but... i know you need a hydrometer for fish tanks so would it be possible to get one in pet shops??

If the scale is the same as the pic I poster then yea, just give it a good clean

Spot on.. If this works out then onto the stout

Spot on.. If this works out then onto the stout

But not with bread yeast;)

exactly... cheers man i'll let you know how it turns out

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

Report back on how the nettle wine turned out. I made a batch of it before and it was pretty horrible. I've had beer with nettle in it and that was pretty tasty though. Oh and if it doesn't work out don't give up on the brewing. My first two brews were a disaster but then I figured it all out. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Cheers Bionic will do.. lets just hope the bottles don't explode

Advertisement